Todays random find

eaglescout526

So I was taking the wife to work today as her car got hit friday and the damn towing company took it to a yard rather my house...ugh. Anywho!! When I pulled into the back alley way of her work I spotted a steel wheel, ok theres some junk over here and I turned around and saw a 5 lug wheel, looked like a Jeep steely. Ok Ill swing back by and look. 

IMG_1069.jpg.b54b9570d489f4140880c480023f637d.jpg

And sure enough it fricken is! With the cap too nonetheless!! So I snagged it because I can't say no to free Jeep stuff. The tire is from the 30th week of 2002 so its probably been sitting a while. 

What else has anyone found that is Jeep related in the trash or side of the road?

can't say I remember anything Jeep on the side of the road (unless the bedliner I lost out of my trailer 5 minutes earlier counts?), but one of the MJ beds I picked up came delivered to me via forklift in the junkyard's parking lot and the bed was still full of leaves and rags and trash :fistshake2:  very professional, my dude.  very professional.  but after I dumped it all out in the parking lot (off to the side, not the middle of the lot... although I was tempted) I found a bunch of random MJ parts buried underneath the disgustingness.  :D  

About 2-3 years ago my great grandfather let me plunder and rummage through his outbuilding and I found a set of factory brand new MJ vent windows with the frames. I told him I found him and he just let me have them because he certainly had no use for them

20220705_161711.jpg

I picked up a couple Jeep steelies with grey centre caps that were kicking around at work for a while. I don’t remember the story, someone found them in the bushes somewhere, and tossed them in the back of truck and they just rode around there all summer cause they didn’t know what to do with them. We set them aside when we parked the truck for the winter, forgot about them. Couple years later we were doing some yard cleanup and my boss was going to toss them. After peeling the junk rubber off them they went into the back of my truck instead of the scrap metal bin.

A stock tj spare tire carrier with third brake light. I was at a stop light and the guy was putting it in his trash. I embarrassed my wife by asking him if I could have it in the middle of traffic. I sold it on ebay for $100 plus shipping the next day.

Not quite I'm the same line, but years ago I was on the main drag in town and saw a Jeep Grand Wagoneer stranded in the suicide line with it's rear driveshaft dragging on the ground.  The next day I drove by the same spot and I kid you not, there was a different Grand Wagoneer stranded in the same spot with a driveshaft hanging down.  The first time it was blue, the second one was white.  

On 7/3/2023 at 3:57 PM, jpnjake said:

Well I’ve gotten all my lawnmowers on the side of the road lol, I think I’ve had 13 or 14 roadside finds so far 

3FB8FBD3-06F2-45A3-8320-06EBD4768A11.jpeg.18ce08d873e3947d15c37ad03d1aab10.jpeg

B01F7BBC-D41E-46BD-BE57-E794E47F8FA8.jpeg.13dc88473bcc863d709413efa25af180.jpeg

this one’s my latest find, picked it up yesterday 

Is this a nh thing? That's all I see in nh is free lawnmowers and lawn equipment on side of the road. Down here in mass/ri crackheads are always trying to scrap stuff for a million dollars rather than putting to the curb.

8 hours ago, strictlyxjs said:

Is this a nh thing? That's all I see in nh is free lawnmowers and lawn equipment on side of the road. Down here in mass/ri crackheads are always trying to scrap stuff for a million dollars rather than putting to the curb.

I legitimately saw an arcticat snow mobile on the side of the road around memorial day. It was indeed free since it was next to garbage and a broken wheelbarrow. I was thinking of grabbing it but I'm knee deep in projects. I'm still kinda regretting it. I grabbed the wheelbarrow though and it works great with a new wheel.

It costs $$$ to throw stuff out in NH. The nearest scrap yards are usually very far away so I guess that keeps scrappers at bay.

When I lived in Virginia, I went to the county dump (which is free for residents).  They have a dump bin specifically for wheels and tires.  Found a set of 4 steelie wheels for 76-86 Jeep CJs.  They had signs posted for no dumpster diving, but that didn't stop me.

When I was on active duty and stationed at MCAS Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, there was a steel wheel painted black that was used to prop open the gate to the motor pool.  One day I glanced at it, and recognized the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and large center hole as a Jeep CJ wheel.  Sure enough, turned it over and it had the stamped info on the back, made in Canada in '84.  Made me wonder how long it had been there.

Still in Hawaii, there was a road called Kapaa Quarry road.  There was an area along that road that had some off road trails, also used for dumping trash by the locals, and sometimes used for paintball games.  While four wheeling one day, I found a complete M416 trailer.  The bed floor was completely rusted out, so I unbolted the bolts (they were finger loose), flipped the bed off, and hooked it to my 67 CJ5 (with pintle hook).  Towed it onto base and home.  Disassembled it, replaced a rusted crossmember, had it sandblasted, painted it, and put a 3/4" plywood floor on it.  That was around 2003, still have it to this day.

Perhaps the best was turning onto Kapaa Quarry road one day, and seeing a 76-86 Jeep CJ7 body laying in the middle of the road.  A complete tub- seats, roll bar, steering column, instruments, tail lights, etc.  I continued on my way to an appointment, then was back an hour later.  The seats were gone and it had been pushed to the side of the road.  Yes, I pulled a few parts, LOL.

The M416 after sandblasting and painting.  

2nd pic is after adding NOS fenders, custom stainless steel splash panels, M923 tail lights, and CJ style wheels and tires.

m416 trailer 2.jpg

trailer 002.jpg