Underbed spare carrier.

While I was messing around with my truck this weekend, I thought it might be a good idea to run the spare cable up and down to make sure it worked and lube up it's innards. It was pretty rusty and looked like it hadn't moved since new. I have a sull size spare I was going to stick under there. It ran all the way down with no problem - Cool! I gave it a good WD40 bath and ran it back up. Just as I was about to snug it up, that 20+ year old cable had enough of my $#!& and snapped at the end.

So, how would I go about fixing this problem? I really would like to stick with an underbed storge solution for a full size spare - as factory looking as possible.

Thanks in advance.

that isn't the only thing to go u may want to check the rubber gromet that is holding the metal plate that retains the wheel in place. The quik fix would be to get one of the cable clamps and try that or if you have time see what your local bone yard has to offer. either way it may need some improvising to repair. BTW I have the same issue and still thinking about the best fix for it myself. :brows:

I had the same problem and fashioned a carrier to match the one on my '70 Chevy truck. It was very simple to make and it might have been simpler to go to a JY and wander around for a while.

I do a lot of driving in my job and can't help but notice all the spare tires off the sides of the freeways. It must be common for those cables to give up after about 20 years.

mine was broken when i got my 89 too. the spare was in the bed. i found a piece of retangular scrap steel,driled a hole in the center,ran the cable through it and attached a couple of hardware store cable clamps to the cable end.total cost about 2 bucks.my spare now rides where it is supposed to.under the bed.

here's my fix

cut off the rusted portion of the cable, clean up the part that holds the tire up, slide it on, take a small cable clamp, fold the cable over, and clamp it together. hasn't given me a lick of trouble. I'm adding a second cable clamp through the "hoop" that's created by folding the cable, so that it can't slide apart

Damnit! Moparparts is apparently one of those places that makes you create an account, enter your credit card info, then send you an email 3 days later telling you the part is discontinued. For the record, I cannot stand it when websites lists parts they don't have or can't get. It wastes everyones time. So, now I need to find another! :mad:

If your talking about Chrysler Parts Direct (Mopar) Forget them, I called them last year, there's not a single part on there listing in stock or anywhere to be found for a MJ :cry:

Every part I asked for, the guy on the phone just said.....Junk Yard every time :nuts:

Face it, we're on our own to find the odd ball parts.

If you are reffering to the website I directed you to I do apologize. I figured at the least they would do what they did for me and direct me to a few places that either had it stock or would know a person that could do it for ya for cheap. Sorry and if I find something to help i'll let you know, good luck.

• 6 months later...

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would just add on to this one....

I need to replace my cable inside the spare tire winch. It has broken 3 times since it was new and it keeps getting shorter each time I cut the broken end off.

Any suggestions?

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would just add on to this one....

I need to replace my cable inside the spare tire winch. It has broken 3 times since it was new and it keeps getting shorter each time I cut the broken end off.

Any suggestions?

I fixed mine as you have done but if the cable was badly rusted I was planning on removing the winch housing, opening it up (it looks like it's riveted together??) replacing the cable then bolting the housing back together. I didn’t have to do this since the cable looked good. Good luck