Calling All Electrical Gurus

Before I wire in cherokee power windows, I think I need to remedy a few wiring gremlins. I'm not sure if everything under my dash is supposed to be there at all or if it's in the right place. 

1. In this photo there are 3 wires (ignore the yellow in foreground) that go into my fuse box in the rr wipe, ign, and gauge fuses. They run out through the grommet in the firewall to the engine bay. They look too new to be factory, any idea what they might be for?

2. I have circled what looks to be a blue cap over the end of a harness connector, what's this?

3. I have also circled a white relay, what's this?

image.jpeg.8036af28122bfb6bb3e842ca002945e7.jpeg

4. In this pic is another view of the blue cap and white relay, as well as another blue relay and an inline fuse. What the heck?

image.jpeg.f9427c3cb0325b800695e993bd25accf.jpeg

This is another view of underneath. Worth a note, either my pedals have been replaced or this truck used to be a manual as someone has hacked off the clutch pedal.

image.jpeg.03cde972bf5e8c7b0f20da872b6e9c33.jpeg

5. What's this box? Any idea why there's this random wire and inline fuse on the harness?

image.jpeg.7a25a9fb33805c92af7315a8b47a3370.jpeg

6. Anyone know what this box is above my headliner? Just two black wires that go down behind the glove box, can't figure out where they go to from there. No markings on the box.

image.jpeg.b74684d2919c7da13b89c7f54b7baa39.jpeg

7. What's this big plastic box in the middle?

image.jpeg.4b416a78fe12a79c71a145466046adcd.jpeg

Lol, looks like someone took an axe to that clutch pedal. I Can tell you that those yellow and red wires in the front of the fuse box with spade terminals are not factory. Could be someone was searching for an ignition switched 12v source for some accessory. That number 5 item is the aw4 transmission ecu.

12 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Can’t be, the white one is the horn relay. Unless AMC did two of them for some reason. 

Ok.

How about the radio/LED clock display relay C354?  The location and wire colors appear to match. p. 59 of the 88 electrical manual.

15 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Can’t be, the white one is the horn relay

Headlamp Delay Module.

2 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

How about the radio/LED clock display relay C354?

Yes for the Borq Cube relay.

11 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Wha? No the headlamp delay module is the silver 4 prong one that is tucked up next to the steering column if installed. 

I was guessing the blue box one as the headlamp delay module.

8 minutes ago, CO MJ said:

Is it pretty typical for cars from this era to have numerous electrical components just dangling beneath the dash? That seems crazy to me

No. The previous owner/s made a mess of things. Most of those items mount to the harness itself normally with zip ties and tape. What starts to happen is some component fails and instead of tracking down the simple problem (like a connector not making good contact), someone will just determine they have bad wiring and run a jumper to bypass an issue. not the way to go. For some of those added components, someone needs to study relays for a few minutes along with the Jeep’s stock power distribution. 

45 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

I was guessing the blue box one as the headlamp delay module.

Nope. That’s the blue chime box that lets you know the headlamps are on after turning off the Jeep and that your unbuckled and your key is in the ignition with the door open. 

2 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

No. The previous owner/s made a mess of things. Most of those items mount to the harness itself normally with zip ties and tape. What starts to happen is some component fails and instead of tracking down the simple problem (like a connector not making good contact), someone will just determine they have bad wiring and run a jumper to bypass an issue. not the way to go. For some of those added components, someone needs to study relays for a few minutes along with the Jeep’s stock power distribution. 

The various relays just hang there though? They aren't normally mounted in a block bolted to the frame anywhere?

1 hour ago, CO MJ said:

The various relays just hang there though? They aren't normally mounted in a block bolted to the frame anywhere?

Not those relays. They are strapped to the harness. It’s nothing odd though, many oem harnesses do that. There wasn’t really any relay center inside the cab. 

Update! Black box on the roof is just an antenna.

I see that hacked off lever is connected to what I guess is the clutch master cylinder? Whatever, it definitely appears that this truck has been converted from a manual to automatic. Removing those not stock wires from the fuse box results in my transmission being stuck in like third gear, very little power going to wheels.

I don't know squat about how transmissions work and their wiring so will be reading up there. Any ideas what those wires might specifically be, and any suggestions on cleaning things up to better match stock automatic wiring?

And another one: I'm trying to use the acc connection on the fuse box to power my window motors. I get battery voltage when I turn the ignition on but as soon as I connect to my door motors the voltage will drop to 0 or even weirder, like 3-6v. The door power connected to an external power supply works just fine. The fuse doesn't blow. That's weird right?

I'm having trouble finding a diagram of where the acc power comes from, but I'd assume a wire from the battery, to the ignition switch, to the fuse box. No other magic involved. Unless maybe the ign turns on an acc relay, but I don't see mention of that anywhere.

23 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Window Motors are high current circuits. Check IGN SW C267_A. Could have voltage drop at IGN SW. 88 Electrical Manual included. Used for 89's.

1700538375_BUSBARTURN_BUFUSE.jpg.8de3b03ea1632a5f3fd51e7ceca8fd3f.jpg    1033438114_C267_C268IgnitionSwitch.jpg.f1feda37cf6771ffdaf85057505f9f8f.jpg

245059696_C267IgnitionSwitchburnt(photo).jpg.154307ebaef667067fc3dc75b58d7ad6.jpg

88 Electrical Manual

_mj1988electricalmanual_1.pdf

Thanks! Will check this tomorrow. FWIW the voltage drops when the wires are connected, before I ever push the up/down switch. The radio also will sometimes just cut off while driving so bad connection feels likely

So it looks like that mess is largely because whoever converted the transmission did not put the TCU where it's supposed to go under the glove box, and instead put it on the driver side.

Does anyone know if the connectors for the automatic are present on the engine control harness for a manual? C113, C234. From what I'm searching it looks like they are not, and that's why I have this spaghetti mess and the PO has just run all the connections by hand instead of swapping out the harness. If that's the case, and I have all the connectors, if it's worth moving the box to it's correct location and building my own harness, or if I should go find the right harness, or just clean up those fuse box connections and call it a day as everything seems to work anyways.

Here's another one; on the fuse box diagram and power distribution diagrams is the "power window circuit breaker". I don't see anything of the sort on my fuse box, is it physically built into the panel? In the schematic there is a single wire, but there are two arrows on the fuse box diagram, pointed at 3 different connectors. Does anyone know where each of the pins actually go? If someone has power windows and wouldn't mind snapping a picture of the connector that would also be very helpful!

image.png.21b055056fa9812a9d3754814d336b89.png

image.png.b98b5670b041589982981f5369c2e908.png