Calling All Electrical Gurus

3 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Chances are if the PO swapped stuff in like power doors, the connections at the fuse block won’t be there. 

I am swapping in power doors from a 97+ cherokee, my current harness is just speakers in the doors. 

2 hours ago, Ωhm said:

30A circuit breaker would be external to the fuse box. Once installed (one arrow going to two pins) this would complete the circuit (series) and then PWR ACCY would be HOT with KEY ON.

fuses and circuit breakers.pdf

Okay, that makes sense, I couldn't find a picture or mention of the fuse breaker anywhere so wasn't sure. Next question is the connector, c308, that is supposed to plug into the fuse box, is not labeled in the diagram for the cab harnesses, on the driver door harness or the cross cab harness. I also don't see a connector in any pictures I can find of the door harness that looks like it would go in the fuse box. Since my truck did not have power locks or windows, I'm guessing the connectors I need are likely on the cross body harness since presumably I don't have it. I don't think I'm going to bother with the locks, only the windows, so instead of trying to acquire the cross body harness I think I will just get a breaker, and make my own harness just for the window power.

I wonder if C308 is C361. Both seem to be the same but keyed differently. C361 is part of the Front Crossbody Harness (FC). You’d need to pinout the harness to make sure its correct. But you don’t have this harness as shown in the Manual (pg92), right?

15 hours ago, Ωhm said:

I wonder if C308 is C361. Both seem to be the same but keyed differently. C361 is part of the Front Crossbody Harness (FC). You’d need to pinout the harness to make sure its correct. But you don’t have this harness as shown in the Manual (pg92), right?

I was wondering the same thing. Correct! I will have to go find the diagrams for the 97+ door harness but assuming it works the same way, I think building my own harness is as simple as power from the fuse box circuit breaker and a ground for each door, and two wires between each door switch box. It's a pity the harness diagrams don't have a little more detail, I'm not sure how that harness physically lays under the dash, and I'm also clueless as to where the TCU connector comes through the firewall. I'm wondering if since this truck was originally manual if maybe they didn't punch the hole for it, and maybe thats the reason PO put it on the driver side.

Does anyone know what that white relay is for? I have the connector, but the relay isn't in, everything seems to work as expected so I wonder if its cruise control related. (I eliminated mine) but I'd like to know for sure, thanks!

8 minutes ago, Big_Mark said:

Does anyone know what that white relay is for? I have the connector, but the relay isn't in, everything seems to work as expected so I wonder if its cruise control related. (I eliminated mine) but I'd like to know for sure, thanks!

Horn. It’s the horn relay. Does your horn work or is it rigged?

18 minutes ago, Big_Mark said:

Not CC related.  There are no relays for the CC system.

43 minutes ago, Big_Mark said:

That def not the horn relay, for my rig at least. My horn relay has 3 prongs (not rigged), and the horns work fine.

MORE MYSTERY!!!

Is it a 5 prong? The only white relay that was common found on the Renix Jeeps was that white relay from GM for the horn. 

29 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Is it a 5 prong? The only white relay that was common found on the Renix Jeeps was that white relay from GM for the horn. 

I'll take a looksee in a bit. I replaced my white relay with a new one, it's silver/metal.
I have an unused relay connector as shown in the OPs photo, that looks just like the one he has, the one with the white relay in there.

Sorry to cause cornfusion, (that's my favorite dish :P)

image.png.eb70cc0e5d86fd03e42cffeb972fa9f0.png

Gotta be one of those, right?

I pulled the lower dash plastic panel, and there is yet another anomalous black box velcroed to the inside, with a big wide connector coming out of each end, which doesn't look anything like anything I see in the diagram :eyeroll: I will have to take a photo but looks like another mystery to solve

On 1/17/2023 at 5:48 PM, Ωhm said:

Decided to go pull one from the yard along with the breaker, redid the connectors and now I have power windows!

Took a loot at the TCU harness as well. I still cannot identify where it comes through the firewall to hook up to the TPS or the transmission, but I also didn't bring a flashlight. I suspect the previous owner either didn't care, or saw that it runs behind the dash in a way that probably requires pulling the dash out, and decided it was easier to keep it under the driver dash. Might go back again and pull the whole dash out as well as a harness if I can find one the same year as my transmission, but I suppose that will require figuring out what year I have since it may or may not be the same as my truck year.

On 1/16/2023 at 11:11 AM, CO MJ said:

So it looks like that mess is largely because whoever converted the transmission did not put the TCU where it's supposed to go under the glove box, and instead put it on the driver side.

Does anyone know if the connectors for the automatic are present on the engine control harness for a manual? C113, C234. From what I'm searching it looks like they are not, and that's why I have this spaghetti mess and the PO has just run all the connections by hand instead of swapping out the harness. If that's the case, and I have all the connectors, if it's worth moving the box to it's correct location and building my own harness, or if I should go find the right harness, or just clean up those fuse box connections and call it a day as everything seems to work anyways.

My grandfather used to tell me that anything worth doing is worth doing right. I still subscribe to that notion.

Which means if it were my truck I would move the TCU to where it's supposed to be. The tranny harness is, I believe, mostly a separate harness, so I would look for someone with a junk Cherokee and grab the TCU harness out of that.

Seems we have worked through most of the questions here. I'll throw out some stuff for good measure.

As several stated, the white relay is for the horn.

The blue box is the warning buzzer (key in ignition, seat belt, and headlamps).  The blue box (#1076) was an upgrade to the black box (#1077), which did not have the headlamp warning function.

I noticed you have under dash courtesy lights, but no bulb in them.

The headlamp delay relay (Sentry system module) is a silver box, part # ending in 636 (made in the USA during the Renix years).  Later models used a box # ending in 324, completely interchangeable.  

Accessory wires that are plugged into the fuse box from the factory would use a colored connector that is keyed to the specific power port location it is intended to go in. These are often referred to as ATO fuse box power port connectors and terminals (the fuse box uses ATO type fuses).  If you look closely at the last picture, you can see ATO power port wires with red (factory) and green (I added that one) connectors in the fuse box of my 91 XJ.  I have ATO fuse box power port terminals and connectors if you are looking for some.

Horn Relay Pinout.jpeg

XJ buzzer pinout wiring.jpg

IMG_8719 edit.jpeg

IMG_3037.jpeg

IMG_1660.jpeg

XJ fuse block.png

On 1/21/2023 at 11:32 PM, Eagle said:

My grandfather used to tell me that anything worth doing is worth doing right. I still subscribe to that notion.

Which means if it were my truck I would move the TCU to where it's supposed to be. The tranny harness is, I believe, mostly a separate harness, so I would look for someone with a junk Cherokee and grab the TCU harness out of that.

Wise words! Fully agree. I plan on pulling the dash sometime this year for upholstery so I will likely do it then when I have easy access. Based on the above photos it does look like the TCU harness is part of the engine harness, so I'll have to figure out what years I can pull from given I have an 89 renix with presumably an ax-4 from the same era. There is a 90 in my local yard that appears to have the same connector, someone has already nabbed the TCU, but might be a good candidate.

23 hours ago, schardein said:

Seems we have worked through most of the questions here. I'll throw out some stuff for good measure.

As several stated, the white relay is for the horn.

The blue box is the warning buzzer (key in ignition, seat belt, and headlamps).  The blue box (#1076) was an upgrade to the black box (#1077), which did not have the headlamp warning function.

I noticed you have under dash courtesy lights, but no bulb in them.

The headlamp delay relay (Sentry system module) is a silver box, part # ending in 636 (made in the USA during the Renix years).  Later models used a box # ending in 324, completely interchangeable.  

Accessory wires that are plugged into the fuse box from the factory would use a colored connector that is keyed to the specific power port location it is intended to go in. These are often referred to as ATO fuse box power port connectors and terminals (the fuse box uses ATO type fuses).  If you look closely at the last picture, you can see ATO power port wires with red (factory) and green (I added that one) connectors in the fuse box of my 91 XJ.  I have ATO fuse box power port terminals and connectors if you are looking for some.

Horn Relay Pinout.jpeg

XJ buzzer pinout wiring.jpg

IMG_8719 edit.jpeg

IMG_3037.jpeg

IMG_1660.jpeg

XJ fuse block.png

Thanks for those! The connectors are what I was having an impossible time finding. From the diagrams the cross dash harness appears to have two of those, one for power windows and one for power locks, but oddly mine only has the power window connector. More mystery!

I don't know if this will help, or if it applies to this thread, but I'll mention it.

There is a part, I don't know what it is officially called, that plugs into a cavity in the fuse box.  Once plugged in, it forms another place to plug in a circuit breaker or fuse.  It has a wire coming out, that when the circuit breaker/fuse is inserted, the wire then becomes a power source.

The first picture, the arrow points to the cavity in your fuse box.

Second picture is the "fuse box adapter plug" (?)

Third picture is the fuse box in my 1991 Cherokee.  You can see the circuit breaker and the red wire, that is the output of that circuit.  In my XJ, that red wire is hot all the time and it performs two functions- one, it provides power to a connector under the carpet near the driver seat female end seatbelt for the power seat option (even though my XJ does not have power seats).  Second, it goes to the rear quarter panel (behind the panel where the spare tire is mounted) and provides constant 12+ power for the 7 way trailer connector for the heavy duty trailer option.  

The adapter plug isn't present in my 1991 Comanche.  I don't know if it was ever used in MJs.  But it would be an option to add a 12+ power wire (hot all the time).

fuse box adapter plug MJ.png

ATO fuse box circuit breaker adapter.png

XJ fuse block circuit breaker adapter.png