Dash Vinyl Replacement

Any new ideas for vinyl replacement on dashboards?   Replacing a dashboard with one out of a junker is kicking the can down the road. After 30+ years it is all brittle.    Has anyone stripped off the old vinyl and cleaned up the metal and painted it?  Would that pass inspection?   I very much do not like the carpet overlays.

3 hours ago, Manche757 said:

Any new ideas for vinyl replacement on dashboards?   Replacing a dashboard with one out of a junker is kicking the can down the road. After 30+ years it is all brittle.    Has anyone stripped off the old vinyl and cleaned up the metal and painted it?  Would that pass inspection?   I very much do not like the carpet overlays.

The dash has a metal frame but is mostly plastic duct work. @Limeyjeeper I believe had his dash refinished. I managed to find an original in perfect condition. Plenty of conditioner and it is nice and soft vinyl again. 

2 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

The dash has a metal frame but is mostly plastic duct work. @Limeyjeeper I believe had his dash refinished. I managed to find an original in perfect condition. Plenty of conditioner and it is nice and soft vinyl again. 

I did get one refinished in vinyl and then I found an NOS one. If you cover it you have to use a very thin fabric as the dash is a very tight fit between the A pillars.

1 minute ago, Limeyjeeper said:

I did get one refinished in vinyl and then I found an NOS one. If you cover it you have to use a very thin fabric as the dash is a very tight fit between the A pillars.

Did you use justdashes? There is extra material usually in the radio opening on a stock dash. The OP could probably trim a little piece of that and get it matched. 

19 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

Limeyjeeper, aren't you the chap from Scotland?

Would you mind taking a few pics of what it looks like?  Someone covered it in new vinyl?   What type of place did you take it to?  Any words of advice are appreciated.

If you are attempting to restore the dash so it has the same appearance as when it left the factory, “JustDashes.com” (or any of their competitors, if they exist) are your best choices.

The OEM construction is foam over a plastic dash structure, and that is covered by a layer of vinyl.  Duplicating that without the right fixtures an d materials will be almost impossible.

17 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Did you use justdashes? There is extra material usually in the radio opening on a stock dash. The OP could probably trim a little piece of that and get it matched. 

No they wanted nearly $2k and a year to fix it. They are masters at what they do but you pay for it

16 hours ago, Manche757 said:

Limeyjeeper, aren't you the chap from Scotland?

Would you mind taking a few pics of what it looks like?  Someone covered it in new vinyl?   What type of place did you take it to?  Any words of advice are appreciated?

Telling a Londoner he is Scottish, (and visa versa) is fighting talk lol!!

I had a local upholstery place do the dash. They smoothed out and filled the old dash and stitched the vinyl together and laid it on. I don't have it any longer but here are a few pics.

Before

362371631_OldDashPad.jpg.7a281a7b5f3b432149d0dda1c1f4448b.jpg

After

IMG_3313.jpg.2dd33da8f90c6b056db4eeb866444377.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg.c44eeec5b124f890b3dba5f72e464047.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg.b4f2706553c737267be53b874dc63990.jpg

1 hour ago, Limeyjeeper said:

Telling a Londoner he is Scottish, (and visa versa) is fighting talk lol!!

I had a local upholstery place do the dash. They smoothed out and filled the old dash and stitched the vinyl together and laid it on. I don't have it any longer but here are a few pics.

Before

362371631_OldDashPad.jpg.7a281a7b5f3b432149d0dda1c1f4448b.jpg

After

IMG_3313.jpg.2dd33da8f90c6b056db4eeb866444377.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg.c44eeec5b124f890b3dba5f72e464047.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg.b4f2706553c737267be53b874dc63990.jpg

The Londoner's friendly spirit comes through.

The finished product looks better than I would have expected.   Was the vinyl on the front left and the new vinyl stitched to it?   Then glued to the frame?   If the old vinyl was left on the front, how did they manage to stitch it?  Drum rolls: Do you mind saying what you paid to have it done?

I got a dash from the junkyard from a 95 or 96 XJ in near-mint condition.  Painted it grey to match the rest of my interior.

There are good ones out there in the JY, just need to get a newer one that wasn't exposed to too much sun.

• 2 months later...

Not to steal a thread as my dash is in pretty good shape yet I removed a bunch of parts to clean up, change radios and lube some sliders and such. Also, I got a good deal on a factory, NIB, bench seat cover in Burgundy. Of course my interior is baby blue--a color I never liked. I plan to change color to the burgundy all over. 

Anyway, my point is, I never liked the creaky, plastic 80's dashes. And, I know I'll have to go back into the rats nest at some point to re-vacuum tube and swap the heater core. Am thinking of modding more of a race car dash with shelves instead of glove boxes. I'm pretty good with such things yet wonder if it will kill the collectable value of my Comanche even tho I plan to be buried in it :-)

I know Jeeps tend to be modified yet I don't want to ruin this and I plan to not cut any metal--just do a simple off-road sort of dash over the original with a simple toggles and analog guages. What do y'all think? I appreciate your opinions. 

it's been done in actual race MJ/XJs.  :L:  fitting that rollcage kinda sucks with a dash in the way.  seems like a lot of work though.  :dunno: 

I did the lazy man's version by removing the glovebox door and making it a shelf. :D 

114152019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...