New Guy - Help Identify Comanche on CL

SuperWade2

Couple of things I noticed. I bought a 1988 Pioneer 2WD w. AW4 longbed a couple of years ago from the original owner just for the camper shell. It had the idiot light cluster and black bumpers, and I've seen several Pioneers with similar options so no worries. However the rear tube bumper is definitely not factory. The factory tube bumpers were straight across (no bends in the tube) and had the license plate holder and lights mounted on the bumper. That's an aftermarket bumper, prolly Genuine Steel.

Clean looking rig!

there actually was a factory (or at least dealer) tube rear bumper installed on these jeeps. I don't think that one's it though.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there actually was a factory (or at least dealer) tube rear bumper installed on these jeeps. I don't think that one's it though.

This is the factory tube bumper. The only one I ever saw was in a pic of an MJ in a yard in Antelope, CA. Beat to crap it was though............ :oops:

Image Not Found

This is the factory tube bumper. The only one I ever saw was in a pic of an MJ in a yard in Antelope, CA. Beat to crap it was though............ :oops:

Image Not Found

...but the Tube Bumper in the pics of the Pioneer I'm going to go look at is not that one...

Thanks!

This is like a treasure hunt... trying to find out what parts are original, what is aftermarket, etc, etc... so much fun!... I'm driving myself (and everyone arround me, and you guys, CRAZY).

Leaving @ 8am tomorrow, armed with a Creeper, Magnet, Vin Decoder, CarFax Report, KBB Report and a Printout of this entire thread...

Wish me luck!

SW2

If you want to see the factory tube rear, here's a quick pic I found on my computer of one.

If that is/was your truck, I'm sorry, and don't mean to offend, but I just threw up a little bit in my mouth... and Red is my Favorite color...uck...

SW2

If you want to see the factory tube rear, here's a quick pic I found on my computer of one.

If that is/was your truck, I'm sorry, and don't mean to offend, but I just threw up a little bit in my mouth... and Red is my Favorite color...uck...

SW2

that's a factory truck. built that way, that's no custom mod by the owner.

forget what they're called...there's only 100 or so were ever built

SW2

Nah, not my truck, but my 88 will look similar to that when I'm done with it; sans body kit, tube bumper, and red paint.

Ah, crap, yet another thread I've gone off topic in. :oops:

SW2

Nah, not my truck, but my 88 will look similar to that when I'm done with it; sans body kit, tube bumper, and red paint.

Ah, crap, yet another thread I've gone off topic in. :oops:

Street Comanche.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393950

Just to put a cap on this crazy 6 Page thread...

I went ahead and bought it. It wasn't quite as perfect as I would have hoped, and it seems pretty apparent that probably some parts of the dash had been pulled and likely a tranny swap at some point, but it had a Dana 44 Rear and was better than most of the others I had seen...

I'll try to get more pics posted soon!

side1qw0.jpg

Thanks for everyones help!

SW2

Just to put a cap on this crazy 6 Page thread...

I went ahead and bought it. It wasn't quite as perfect as I would have hoped, and it seems pretty apparent that probably some parts of the dash had been pulled and likely a tranny swap at some point, but it had a Dana 44 Rear and was better than most of the others I had seen...

I'll try to get more pics posted soon!

side1qw0.jpg

Thanks for everyones help!

SW2

Congratulations! I think it's a great looking truck

dude, it looks great. i think you'll be fine. would you mind telling all of us what you ended up getting it for? regardless, i think you got an above avg condition truck!

I paid $2K... About 1/2 way between what he was asking and what I was hoping to pay. About $250 more than I wanted too, but I didn't really want to wait, and when I saw it had a D44 in the back I was willing to go a little higher... I've figured I've pissed away $250 in a lot worse ways.

Things are a little pricier here on the Left Coast, so I guess everything is relative.

SW2

Image Not Found

The Bumper on MY NEW MJ in these pics is a Smittybilt

SW2

SuperWade2,

With the Dana 44, you just might have a factory Metric Ton package. Count the leafs on the rear spring. Think you need 5 for the Metric ton package.

Personally I can not believe the amount of rust damage these guys from the midwest and the east put up with and repair. I have a couple of nickle size surface rust spots on my truck and I think it is crap.

But I am a Southern California guy since I was 4 years old. I just do not know any better.

My truck is a Southern California 91 base long bed 2WD about 2 years ago for $1150. But I have put some a bit of money into it since. Body is great. Needs new paint. 4 litre H.O. 6 with column auto trans, full 3 passanger bench seat, Metric Ton, A/C, SnugTop, Factory bed liner and factory load mat, Class 3 trailer hitch.

Have the original window sticker and a long repair history. Now 220K miles and should be able to drive it across the country with no real isues.

I have replaced the battery cables, battery, ignition switch, neutral switch, radiator, water pump, surpentine belt, all front end bushings, brakes, and auto trans rear seal.

Need to work on some electrical issues. Gas gage doesn't read right, lights on the interior are not right. But all can be solved with some work.

Total repairs so far about $2700. I should be good till the next set of tires.

Plans include power window, door locks and new mirrors, plus vent windows. We have a full guage cluster to install and are looking for an over head console. Really like TNT's Dakota front seat modification. Might want to do that without any bucket seats.

242 4 x 4 conversion would be nice. Plan on a front trailer hitch to carry my Honda Trail 90, perhaps a Cherokee rear spare tire carrier and installing a 20 gallon Cherokee gas tank in place of the factory spare. When the engine dies, we will do a stroker crank rebuild and be ready for another 250K miles.

Has anyone looked at a Toyota 5 speed auto or a Lexis 6 speed auto swap into the Comanche? This might be a really nifty thing to do. The Toyota and Lexis transmissions have a 3.52 first gear vs. a 2.80 first gear on the AW4 and the Lexis 6 speed auto trans has a 6th gear of about .58 compared to a .75 on the AW 4. We could use a 3.07 final drive and still have the same off the line gearing as with at 3.54, at the same time, the final drive ratio would be something like a 1.78 final drive for great mpg. (The AW4 and 3.55 final drive would be 2.66).

SW2, I guess the other burning question is how does it run w/204k on it?

Lifters are a little noisy, but otherwise seems to have plenty of "power" and I didn't notice too much else. major. I'll probably going to give it a better look over mechanically and probably service the diffs and everything. Might not happen till after Xmas, but I don't drive many miles, so I'm sure it should be fine.

Been 15 years since I've driven a 5speed, so kinda like riding a bike... Only killed it once so far.

Also a little of my morning coffee already... nice way to start a Monday! Not too bad of a mess...nothing that a little carpet cleaner didn't take care of.

SW2

a little lifter noise at 204k is certainly no big deal and is common. i've got the same on my 211k 4.0L

with the overall condition that the truck seems to be in, IMO i think you got a pretty damn nice truck for $2k. i mean, if you didn't want to put a dime in to right now it doesn't seem like you'd really have anything you were having to compromise. i'd say statistically more often than not a $1500 truck has got $500 of work that will need to be done to it to make it safe and driveable within a short time after purchase. I paid $1500 for my 88 Laredo and I had to put @$750 in it to pass inspection and make it safe. But, @$200-250 of that was labor since I either did not have the skill, tools, or time to do what was needed since I got it.

Hey, all that matters is you are comfortable with what you paid and you are happy with it.

a little lifter noise at 204k is certainly no big deal and is common. i've got the same on my 211k 4.0L

with the overall condition that the truck seems to be in, IMO i think you got a pretty damn nice truck for $2k. i mean, if you didn't want to put a dime in to right now it doesn't seem like you'd really have anything you were having to compromise. i'd say statistically more often than not a $1500 truck has got $500 of work that will need to be done to it to make it safe and driveable within a short time after purchase. I paid $1500 for my 88 Laredo and I had to put @$750 in it to pass inspection and make it safe. But, @$200-250 of that was labor since I either did not have the skill, tools, or time to do what was needed since I got it.

Hey, all that matters is you are comfortable with what you paid and you are happy with it.

I wasn't 100% sure at first, but I am VERY comfortable now...

I've ordered a few parts (from guys on here, and a couple cheapy OEM) to try to get the interior back to more of a "stock" look and feel, but don't think I will have to drop a bunch... and I drive less than 5K miles/ year total, so If I split that between my 99 TJ and the MJ, It isn't going to accumulate miles very quicikly... (My 99 Tj, which I bought new in Jan of 99 has only 37K miles) :eek:

SW2

very cool. well, i think it's obvious you're already hooked, they are just fun little trucks and when you're driving it, it feels cool because you know there just are not that many out there, especially as clean as yours.

on a different note, i have never been able to comprehend how anybody can drive less than 10-12k per year, even just running to the store and back, but jeez, you'll have both of your jeeps for YEARS. fortunately, my MJ was bought for working around the house and just general "pickup truck" needs, (and to fulfill that normal manly desire to just have a truck!) but will also keep some miles down on my car and all but park it in the winter here.

a lot of people are excited for you, so keep us posted as you work on it or go wheelin!

Greg

very cool. well, i think it's obvious you're already hooked, they are just fun little trucks and when you're driving it, it feels cool because you know there just are not that many out there, especially as clean as yours.

on a different note, i have never been able to comprehend how anybody can drive less than 10-12k per year, even just running to the store and back, but jeez, you'll have both of your jeeps for YEARS. fortunately, my MJ was bought for working around the house and just general "pickup truck" needs, (and to fulfill that normal manly desire to just have a truck!) but will also keep some miles down on my car and all but park it in the winter here.

a lot of people are excited for you, so keep us posted as you work on it or go wheelin!

Greg

I second all of what ya said wahoo!

...I just got my xj a couple months ago and already put 4000 miles on it.