New Guy - Help Identify Comanche on CL

SuperWade2

Hi guys... New guy here looking for a Comanche. I also drive a 99 TJ, but looking for a new "Toy" and possible DD.

Can anyone tell me if that is one of the Non-Base Packages (Eliminator/Pioneer, etc) based on the markings on the Bed?

01010701020401030020071212297deaa4e4393ff02100bbd8.jpg

http://monterey.craigslist.org/car/507032005.html

$2500 seems pretty steep, depending on mileage and such. Not sure on 2.5 or 4.0L either... I planned on calling the guy tonight to try to take a look at it, but wanted to get some input first. Thanks ALL

Sw2

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aside from the fact that the seller has no idea how to spell Comanche.....price seems steep to me. But you're in a whole different market out there on the left coast ;) I'll let the local guys chime in on that.

Pioneer model, more than likely 4.0 with the crappy BA10/5 tranny, and probably D35 rear. Body looks good from the pic, if that's a concern for you. Is it 2 or 4WD?

Jeff

Just talked to the wife of the seller...

204K miles (OUCH), Orig 4.0L (orig Tranny, not sure which), AC, Newer tires, no Major Dings/Rush, etc.

KBB Top ends out no more than $1800, even in EXCELLENT condition with those miles and the basic options selected.

Excellent $1,760

Good $1,530

Fair $1,135

Worth a drive down the way (about an hour south of me), but I don't think I would be willing to go much more than $1500 and that might insult the guy asking $2500.

SW2

Just talked to the wife of the selelr...

204K miles (OUCH), Orig 4.0L (orig Tranny, not sure which), AC, Newer tires, no Major Dings/Rush, etc.

KBB Top ends out no more than $1800, even in EXCELLENT condition with those miles and the basic options selected.

Excellent $1,760

Good $1,530

Fair $1,135

Worth a drive down the way (about an hour south of me), but I don't think I would be willing to go much more than $1500 and that might insult the guy asking $2500.

SW2

that shouldn't insult him, if he's asking 700 over the BB value on the thing sheesh. an insult would be offering 500 bucks, it does look nice though, 4wd?

I bought mine for $1500:

1987 Jeep Comanche 4x4

-5spd BA10/5

-D30

-D44

-A/C, P/S, P/B etc

it had (still has) not a spec of rust anywhere and was in great shape...$2500 is a little steep but if thats what he wants I'm sure some poor person will pay full price for it

I bought mine for $1500:

1987 Jeep Comanche 4x4

-5spd BA10/5

-D30

-D44

-A/C, P/S, P/B etc

it had (still has) not a spec of rust anywhere and was in great shape...$2500 is a little steep but if thats what he wants I'm sure some poor person will pay full price for it

paid 1400 for my 89 4x4

same options as him except d35 and a/c that blows hot.

body in GREAT shape, bad paint, one dent on roof and no rust

The seller said they would send some pics tomorrow in the light...

I hope to go down and look at it on Saturday...

$1500 sounds about right (maybe up to $1750 if its REALLY nice inside and out)... a little worried about the 204K miles and what the clutch might look like...

I'll post some pics if the wife send em. At least it sounds like they were a "Jeep" family, so maybe I go down in my TJ they give me the "Jeep Family" discount.

SW2

Ok a couple more MJ Newbwie ?'s before I go look...

This is the Short-Bed, correct?

Is there a way to tell if it has the BA-10/5 or AX-15 tranny without looking at a build sheet or whatever. Since it's a '89 it sounds like they swapped somewhere in the middle? Correct?

Axles are most likely D30/35 with 3.07's, unless it had the Tow-Prep Package and then not even 100%, correct? (I just got done getting Rid of 3.07's and rear D35 on my TJ... uck!)

Is there a list somewhere of the differences between the trim levels (Base (SporTruck), Pioneer, Chief, Laredo, Eliminator, etc).

Thanks for all the help... this is a great site and I look forward to soon being among the MJ Owner ranks!

SW2

If your wanting to pay $1500 than offer him $1000 to $1200. He'll either laugh or counter offer you. If he laughs, then show him the bluebook on the thing and ask if he would pay that much over book value. Let him know if that is the original drive train that its going to need replaced or rebuild in the near future with that many miles. If he won't budge on the price, thank him for his time, give him a card with your name and number, and walk away. MJ's are not that hard to find in good shape on your coast. Another one will come along.

Good Luck

:cheers:

Just talked to the wife of the selelr...

Excellent $1,760

Good $1,530

Fair $1,135

SW2

that shouldn't insult him, if he's asking 700 over the BB value on the thing sheesh. an insult would be offering 500 bucks, it does look nice though, 4wd?

KBB value isn't exactly on the mark. these trucks are more valuable in nice shape than anyone on comancheclub are willing to pay, but a rust free one is worth $1500 just for the body, nevermind what drivetrain it's got.

mine blue books at $1200 and it's an 86, but the oldest thing in it is the 96 camaro motor. the insurance company of the kid who backed into me told me what it was "worth" and I about blew a gasket...the investment is much higher, it's alot of engineering, and frankly was pretty much a show-condition truck before then. $2300 in damage =total, and they're NOT gonna do that because the value is much higher. (I've been offered 6500 by a jeep collector and passed btw...too sentimental :nuts: )

sorry, roundabout way of saying it...but your idea of value vs. someone else's is quite a bit different. check the body, if it's got any underbody rust, I'd say it's worth $2000 or less, but if it's as clean as it appears, I'd say somewhere around the 2k mark. maybe not $2500 so try to get him to work with you.

The mileage isn't that bad. I've seen 4.0's in the 300k range.

If the body is mint, which it probably is if its in Cali, then i would probably pay $2000 for it. I payed $900 for mine but it was rusted above both rear fenders, rockers were gone, and the paint was completely faded.

KBB value isn't exactly on the mark. these trucks are more valuable in nice shape than anyone on comancheclub are willing to pay, but a rust free one is worth $1500 just for the body, nevermind what drivetrain it's got.

mine blue books at $1200 and it's an 86, but the oldest thing in it is the 96 camaro motor. the insurance company of the kid who backed into me told me what it was "worth" and I about blew a gasket...the investment is much higher, it's alot of engineering, and frankly was pretty much a show-condition truck before then. $2300 in damage =total, and they're NOT gonna do that because the value is much higher. (I've been offered 6500 by a jeep collector and passed btw...too sentimental :nuts: )

sorry, roundabout way of saying it...but your idea of value vs. someone else's is quite a bit different. check the body, if it's got any underbody rust, I'd say it's worth $2000 or less, but if it's as clean as it appears, I'd say somewhere around the 2k mark. maybe not $2500 so try to get him to work with you.

but we're not talking about a completely rebuilt truck here, its a stock (quite possibly junk or soon to be junk transmission) with stock 4.0 and 204,000 on the ticker, all the bushings are likely worn out and suspension needs a run through its not worth 2000, jeeps don't hold value like you'd think, its not an fj40 or somethin

I'm going simply on body condition. if it's as clean as it looks, it's worth $1500 at least

:dunno: i guess thats a northern thing, down here body condition is a second thing you look for after mechanical condition.

lucky bastard.

reasoning here is...I can swap a motor in a day, and a drivetrain in 2 or 3, and have it work as new. I can't do great bodywork, and I don't like spending money on it much less the time on it.

hand in hand, mechanical condition is worth less to me (and others) than body condition

I'm going simply on body condition. if it's as clean as it looks, it's worth $1500 at least

:dunno: i guess thats a northern thing, down here body condition is a second thing you look for after mechanical condition.

yeah, it is a northern thing. I agree with Pat, swapping anything mechanical can be done fairly easy. I did all the body work on my truck and don't really like how it turned out. I wish i would have spent the money on a nice southern truck instead.

yeah, it is a northern thing. I agree with Pat, swapping anything mechanical can be done fairly easy. I did all the body work on my truck and don't really like how it turned out. I wish i would have spent the money on a nice southern truck instead.

its easy enough to do... but its a pain in the @$$ when you do it 40 hours a week you don't really feel like fixing your truck when it breaks down all the time or needs a motor or somethin, much rather just buy it in good condition and maintain/swap things as i feel like it

its easy enough to do... but its a pain in the @$$ when you do it 40 hours a week you don't really feel like fixing your truck when it breaks down all the time or needs a motor or somethin, much rather just buy it in good condition and maintain/swap things as i feel like it

:P

do the whole she-bang in one go. new motor, trans, rebuilt axles, and you've got a good looking truck with fresh motor. to me, If I had an extra vehicle, I would take a looong time to do the mechanical work than doing body work. everything has a counterpart with mechanical work, so it "fits like a glove". you really can't screw up what goes where, if you're paying attention. body work...you get to make the glove and put it on the hand, and what happens when you realize (after the fact) that the hand has 5 fingers, not 6?...body work is harder.

anyways, it seems like a good looking truck to me, the mileage doesn't bother me...the front axle at that mileage, may need some bushings etc. like stated

Man I love this discussion... especially based on one crummy Craigslist LowRes Photo... this site is going to be AWESOME...

Like I said, I hope to get more pics tomorrow (will post if they are worth a poo)... but if the Truck was originally a Cali truck, rust is generally not an issue... no ice=no salt/sand=very little rust.

BUT, I like the idea of being able to swap in a new engine/tranny and still have a great body...

I'm not super fond of the White, but that to could be changed...

And I want an MJ to use as my DD when my TJ is in the process of getting upgraded... until that is "done" I probably won't do a ton of stuff to the MJ. Once I get bored with the TJ (or it doesn't need more Big $$$ upgrades, then I can start tweaking the MJ)

SW2

Its all up to how much the guy will go drop his price. If he goes down to $2000 i would buy it.

off topic, but is your name wade SuperWade2

I'm trying to get the all specs and options from the seller so I can take the KBB printout with me... IF it looks like something I want to go for, I hope to start around $1200-$1500 (depending) and see where that takes me. Just speculating, I think I would be willing to go up to around $1750-$1800 (but maybe $2000), but really hard to say till I get there and look... Will probably be Saturday before I can go look at it, and maybe the $2500 starting price tag will keep some other prospective buyers away till then.

Yeah, I'm another "Wade"...and I happen to be "Super" and I killed #1, so that made me #2...Not Common...have only met a couple other "Wade's" floating around.

SW2