New Guy - Help Identify Comanche on CL

SuperWade2

on a different note, i have never been able to comprehend how anybody can drive less than 10-12k per year, even just running to the store and back, but jeez, you'll have both of your jeeps for YEARS. fortunately, my MJ was bought for working around the house and just general "pickup truck" needs, (and to fulfill that normal manly desire to just have a truck!) but will also keep some miles down on my car and all but park it in the winter here.

I live just over a mile from where I work. I have 2 small kids (2 year old Twin girls), so we take my Chevy Tahoe if we drive anywhere with them, and the Tahoe gets probably 12-15K mi/year. To get to any of the wheeling spots, it's about an hour or so (or 4-5 to get up to the Sierra's for places like the Rubicon). I just finished doing the upgrades on my TJ, but plan on trailering it to the far away wheeling place so I have room to be comfortable with the kids and all of the junk required to take them camping and stuff.

So yah, the TJ is almost 9 years old, and I plan on driving it until I'm dead (I'm only 33yo)... I'm sure I will go before it does. The MJ should hopefully last just as long!

Thanks for everyones help on here... I really enjoy the conversations on this site, and it already feels like a very close nit group of Comanche guys looking to help each other out how ever they can! :cheers:

SW2

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Dana 44, you just might have a factory Metric Ton package. Count the leafs on the rear spring. Think you need 5 for the Metric ton package.

FYI, Only 4 Leafs... means I probably don't have the M/T Package and someone just added the D44 as a stand alone option. Maybe...

I requested a Build Sheet from Jeep, but not sure if they keep them all the way back to '89

Wade

I'm pretty sure you got it. I am almost positive the MT pkg was 4 leafs instead of 3 because when I followed a thread about that before. I checked mine because I'm also pretty sure I have the D44 but I DON'T have the metric ton pkg.

So 3 leafs normal W/O the Metric Ton package and 4 is with?

oops, i was wrong. found the thread on jeepforum i followed where Pete said it is 5 leafs. i am almost certain i have a D44, and i have factory towing pkg, but it is not metric tonne. i can't say 100% my tow pkg is factory, but this truck has frickin' everything else factory.

non-metric springpacks are 3 leaves plus the overload. Here's a pic of the ones under my MJ before I tore them apart and redid them:

Jeff

Ok, here is a newbie ? (from a guy whose never owned a Jeep with Leafs), what is the "Overload"? I looked under the thing from the side and could see 4 Leafs, but don't really know what the "overload" is.

I guess Jeep still has some build/spec sheets that can provide info on older vehicles... here is what they sent on my '89 Pioneer...So D44 option, but no Metric Ton Package

Monotone Paint

Nickel Metal Hydride Battery

Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes

10x2.5 Rear Drum Brakes

Straight Back Bench Seat

Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area

Passenger Assist Handles

Mini Floor Console

All Manual Transmissions

5-Speed Manual Transmission

Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System

Dana M30/181MM Front Axle

3.07 Axle Ratio

Dana 44/226MM Rear Axle

Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

All Engines

Tinted Glass Windows

Tinted Windshield Glass

Front Door Tinted Glass

Fixed Door Vent Glass

Rear View Day/Night Mirror

Left Painted Mirror

Driver Mirror

Heater w/Instrument Pnl Ventilation

Instrument Panel

Analog Instrument Cluster

85 MPH Primary Speedometer

Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers

Cigar Lighter

Inst Panel Mounted Hood Release

Key in Ign/Seat Belt Warning Buzzer

Shift Indicator Warning Lamp

Glove Box Lamp

Halogen Headlamps

Black Front Bumper

Black Front Bumper

Front License Plate Bracket

Body Color Headlamp Bezels

Black Windshield Moldings

Upper Door Frame Moldings

Belt Moldings

Body Color Drip Trough Molding

California Emissions

EVAP Control System

Catalytic Converter

18.5 Gallon Fuel Tank

All Radio Equipped Vehicles

AM/FM Cassette Radio

4 Speakers

Power Rack and Pinion Steering

2-Spoke Soft Feel Steering Wheel

Standard Duty Shock Absorbers

Rear Shock Absorbers

Tilt Steering Column

All Tires

Full Size Spare Tire

Tire Carrier Winch

P205/75R15 BSW All Season Tires

15X7.0 Styled Steel Wheels

Pickup Box

-35F Protection Anti-Freeze

Build To U S Market Specifications

5 Additional Gallons of Gas

Rear Spring Group I

GVW/Payload Rating

Left Front Group XIV

Right Front Spring Group XIII

U.S. Dealer Retail

Zone 73-San Francisco

American Coin Merchandising

Largo Tracking

Wade, so which of the build sheet/vin decoder sites did you submit for this build sheet? It looks more accurate than the one several of us have gotten from jeep/chrysler.

Was direct to Jeep/Chrysler... Lemme find the link (I think it was on this site, but maybe over on JeepForum).

BRB...

**EDIT** http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universal/J ... category=U

I had to tell them that I was the new registered owner before they would send the info, but wasn't a big deal and only took a couple days (I think I submitted request on Sunday)

interesting. that is where i submitted to and my build sheet was about 75% accurate, although i did find out i have a 3.7L V6 HYBRID w/5spd auto! on the thread where i did that most of the other guys got the same mixed with newer vins. i know chrysler re-uses old vins, maybe pre-89 will not pull a correct sheet or maybe your vin just never got re-used. i might re-submit and see if i get something different, and also try the other decoder links posted on this thread.