Anyone working on reproducing splash guards/mud flaps?

ghetdjc320

I haven’t heard any updates for some time but was wondering if anyone has this project on their radar. We could really use some and it doesn’t seem like it would be that difficult to reproduce. I do recall there was a member making the brackets for the rear splash guards. This post is somewhat self serving as I need some myself :laugh:

• ghetdjc320 changed the title to Anyone working on reproducing splash guards/mud flaps?

It's unfortunate that plan didn't work.  Honestly though, reproduction mud flaps always struck me as a tricky business proposition because they bear the AMC/JEEP logos.  A Cease and Desist letter would shut down the whole business.

Generic mud flaps would be easy enough to cut out of a roll of raw stock... but who would buy them?

6 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

It's unfortunate that plan didn't work.  Honestly though, reproduction mud flaps always struck me as a tricky business proposition because they bear the AMC/JEEP logos.  A Cease and Desist letter would shut down the whole business.

Generic mud flaps would be easy enough to cut out of a roll of raw stock... but who would buy them?

True but royalties to bare the logo are a tiny percentage of the cost and relatively easy to apply for. 

You'd need a set to model from for sure. And that's... well, not cheap.

Process would be fairly simple of 3D printing the flaps and then forming the molds. Using a CNC router would be best, but 3D prints can be cleaned up well too. But it would get costly fast unless someone had all of the equipment and many buyers lined up. Heck, if there were a couple people working together then I could see that working. Like one person could print and prep the templates and then send them off to someone who has the equipment to cast the molds. Then they just need the logo painted. Or leave that to the buyer?

I'm thinking specifically the vacuum chamber would be a solid bearer to entry. Casting molds is fairly straightforward. But that resin sure does get pricey.

13 hours ago, Muncher said:

Cherokee rears are different. I just got some comanche ones they would be easy to cut out the shaoe from a bigger mud flaps 

I was thinking of something similar. With a good front and rear trace out, I could trim it from a generic mud flap

If someone wants to ship me a set (NOS or otherwise) I can take high res photos, a 3d scan, an alginate mold, and a plaster mold and the ship them back.  (molds are contingent on me being confident I won’t ruin them in the molding process!).

I can’t promise I’ll start up a production line, but at least the data to do repros will be preserved?

Ditto  for the brackets, since I’m not even sure where they would attach…

On 10/11/2022 at 8:51 PM, charmcityrambler said:

If someone wants to ship me a set (NOS or otherwise) I can take high res photos, a 3d scan, an alginate mold, and a plaster mold and the ship them back.  (molds are contingent on me being confident I won’t ruin them in the molding process!).

I can’t promise I’ll start up a production line, but at least the data to do repros will be preserved?

Ditto  for the brackets, since I’m not even sure where they would attach…

@Pete M Feel like doing this? 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

They didn’t sell at $399 so he relisted them for $499:nuts:

:dunno:
i bought nos maybe 18 months ago for about $30/set. All the hardware, original bag even. They sold with the truck. I do prefer the fit though of the XJ rears on the MJ. 

• 1 month later...

Overpaid for a set of fronts today. Might be my jump into the mold manufacturing. Super simple plastic and the emblem/border is simply a flat hot stamp. A good test if nothing else. They aren't perfect but if I can replicate them then it would be a justifiable excuse to pony up for NOS.

IMG_4055.jpg.a9d90431eac148084866ca523cb9f995.jpg