Red pioneer MJ build

Finally acquired a red 4wd, 5spd, short bed comanche iv been after. I'll try and keep the story short. Iv been looking for the right comanche for years but never seem to make it happen. We'll about 8 years ago I meet a guy with a sweet red pioneer. Original owner, mint condition. I offered to buy it and he basically said he would be buried with it. I'd see him time to time, we'd talk or just wave. Great guy. Fast forward a couple years and I noticed it had been sitting in his driveway. One of his daughters said he had been very sick. About 6 months later it still hadn't moved so I stopped by and asked how he was doing. Apparently he passed. Maybe it was wrong of me but I offered to buy the jeep from one of his daughters. Wrong idea. I was meet with anger and told I would never get it. My bad. Fast forward some more and it turned up at a repair shop. My wife knew the family so she called the OTHER sister. She was more than happy to sell it. Battery and fuel pump was out but other than that still in great shape. We'll the day I went to meet her she changed her mind. She was nice about it and said she wanted to keep it for memories of him. All this was pre-covid. We'll the jeep has been sitting there since. I'd stop by the shop and offer to buy it but they wouldn't sell it without getting in touch with her. The shop sold to a new owner and they said it has to go. She finally calls me and sells me the jeep. I told her I would restore it in respect to her father and not mod it out. Unfortunately it's not mint anymore but I'm not going to give up on it. Plans are to restore it with minimal upgrades. Everything will be brought back to factory with the exception of tires, gears and upgraded brakes. I'm wanting 33x10.5's but I don't want mud terrains and the only AT's I can find are BFG. This build will be slow because hunting season is upon us and I'm restoring a Ford f150 for my wife, and I'm sure my LJ will need something replaced 🙄

IMG_20220830_090522_917.jpg

IMG_20220830_090523_175.jpg

IMG_20220830_090523_203.jpg

4 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

Hope it's Happy Endings ... Kind of a sad story, but glad it worked out for you. 

I'll be interested to see how you're gonna get 33's under it without a lift though? :popcorn:

Sorry, meant to also include I'll be adding a 4.5" lift. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting any progression pics but working on the engine and other mechanics is boring and nothing new to see thats fun. Its currently getting a head job along with new fuel pump, belts, battery, battery cables, etc.. etc.. etc..

This project is diving deeper into my pockets that origanlly thought. My original budget was $10K for repairs and mods, I'm currently at $5K, and I'm worried it may need more mechanical items fixed and that will eat into my budget for the interior and paint, so my plans may change but I'm not sure. 

Couple thoughts came to mind -

1, get it running, leave it as stock, maybe a budget boost and 31's, leave the paint and interior enjoy it for now and have fun.

2, if I'm going to be going over budget I want to be able to make it mine - mod it out, and have a really good overland vehicle. Bumpers, custom wheels, etc...

or should I just suck it up, go over budget, keep on track with the original plan of restoring but 33x10'5's.  The thought of having around $15K-$20K in a show vehicle just  wasnt in my plans. I do have my Rubicon LJ for camping so really don't need another camping rig but.... 

Side question, and I may need another thread or do a little more searcing in past threads: If I stay budget, what type of ride can I expect with an add-a-leaf? Any better options for a rear 3" lift besides a full leaf pack. If I go full out, resto mod or overland vehicle, I'm going new leaf pack, but if I try and keep it around $10K I'm not. 

17 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

What they don’t tell ya is it’s worth every penny….unless you make a bad choice in a product. 

Tottaly agree. This is my 1st MJ but iv had 2 LJ's, 2 XJ's, 2 ZJ's (won't ever buy one again), 1 CJ7, 1 wagonner, 1 cherokee chief, 1 YJ. 

• 1 month later...

Been working on the MJ and she is finally moving around. Not a daily driver yet, still needs at a minimum tires. Rebuilt heads, adjusted valves, new radiator, new hoses, new heater valve, new spark plugs and wires, new calipers and rotors, new headlights, new battery, new rear diff seal, new fuel pump, new clutch. (I'm sure I'm forgetting something)Next step is suspension, tires, headliner, recover seat, new carpet and sound deadening liner. I'm also going to remove the plastic bed liner.  Still undecided on the suspension. I ordered some WJ lower control arms that had a bend, but not the bend I was wanting. I thought they had a bend for tire clearance but it's bent the other way. Oh well. I also ordered adjustable rear shackles. Iv got several coil springs and shocks laying around from past TJ and ZJ projects I'll try but ultimately I think I'm going with a 2" spacer up front and old man emu shocks or some basic quadratec brand. 

KIMG0325.JPG

KIMG0327.JPG

KIMG0324.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No rust found so far except on the aftermarket trailer hitch.

Worked on it a little more.

Added new coils, shocks, double shear track bar, sway bar bushings, extended sway bar links and sway bar relocation bock. Also added the control arms.  Tires will be here next Monday, need to decide on refurbishing the stock white steelies or putting on some aluminum Wrangler wheels that I have on my trailer for my LJ. 

KIMG0350.JPG

KIMG0354.JPG

KIMG0355.JPG

KIMG0356.JPG

KIMG0357.JPG

KIMG0358.JPG

I had to "modify" the factory radiator skid plate to make the sway bar block work.

Iv still got electrical issues to work out such as my wipers don't work and the turn signal indicator stays on. Iv been searching this forum and I think iv found solutions to both those problems. I also got in a new headliner, carpet and sound deadening liner for the cab. 

Input on what wheels to run would be appreciated. I know it's really personal opinion. 

Busted thumbs and bruised knuckles, I could barely hold a beer after working on her  ---- y'all ever wonder why we fix old stuff? Lol!

5 hours ago, Bugout 1 said:

I had to "modify" the factory radiator skid plate to make the sway bar block work.

Iv still got electrical issues to work out such as my wipers don't work and the turn signal indicator stays on. Iv been searching this forum and I think iv found solutions to both those problems. I also got in a new headliner, carpet and sound deadening liner for the cab. 

Input on what wheels to run would be appreciated. I know it's really personal opinion. 

Busted thumbs and bruised knuckles, I could barely hold a beer after working on her  ---- y'all ever wonder why we fix old stuff? Lol!

Just part of the process. I like the truck, I think it will be a good one, I noticed the UGA receiver cover. If it's a Georgia truck it shouldn't have much rust. Just keep on keeping on.:popcorn:

11 hours ago, Red Mistress said:

Nice looking Red MJ !

I would keep the patina and lift it.

Definitely keep white wheels.

Like mentioned above, everyone has aluminum and they don’t look age appropriate.

2DA0D1EC-1C79-402B-AC59-B47175A162BE.jpeg

Sweet 2 door - wanna sell it?

I really like the TJ alluminum rims but part of the reason for aquiring this MJ was to bring it back to life / stock, in respect for the original owner that passed so I'm going to keep the white steelies, and I did lift it. I put TJ 4" coils on the front and netted about a 2-3/4" lift, and I put adjustable shackles on the rear and adjusted them to around a 1-3/4" lift to bring things level, nd as mentioned I also have core 4x4 control arms, doubel shear track bar and new shocks all around. Tires are on order (31" yokohamo geolander atx). 

• 2 weeks later...

#sideshotsaturday lol!

Got the wheels sanded down, primed and painted then had a buddy mount up some new rubber. 31x10.5 Yokohama geolander at-x.  Need new center caps. Did a home DIY alignment and worked out pretty good. I'm still going to take it to a shop for a professional alignment. Next up is interior. (Deep clean the seat, new headliner, new sound deadening, new carpet, new shifter bezel, and touch up some of the sever faded plastic) May or may not tackle it this weekend. I'm not a fan of the cold and it's 30 right now. Shop heater is out too. 

Also want to add some type of storage and will probably do a Durabake bed liner. Iv uses that brand in the past in multiple projects and I really like it. 

KIMG0376.JPG

KIMG0375.JPG