Project 3rd Time is the Charm

Yes, i've bought another Comanche.  Over the last year or so I've purchased/sold 2 other very clean MJs.  Both had already been modified by the previous owners and I realized that I much prefer to have a clean slate to start a build with to put my own touches on.

I saw this new one posted on a Comanche facebook page.  Was only 4 hours from me and the deal was way too good to pass up.  I am now the owner of an 88 4.0/auto Pioneer longbed.  It has a dana 44 rear with heavy duty leaf springs.  Full power interior, bucket seats, and best of all absolutely zero rust.  This will be a slow build but my plans are a slight lift and keep it my street ride. 

IMG_7667.JPG

KSYS2018.JPG

MMHH7485.JPG

KJVI9966.JPG

IMG_7661.JPG

IMG_7691.JPG

44 minutes ago, neohic said:

Sweet!… again! :laugh: But what’s the pole shed looking garage you’ve got there also?

36x40 pole barn i had built this winter.  I have to still run electric but its good enough to work out of, especially since most my tools are M18.

C4794573-7034-4852-ACD3-8E31881594F5.jpeg

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Making slow progress as of late

Due to clearance with the steering box and LS power steering pump along with the overall alternator height, I picked up some brackets to relocate all of that. Pump is sucked in closer to the engine centerline and the alternator is much lower. 

I also picked up a winters sidewinder shifter. Biggest remaining puzzle piece is the harness. 

F26FF4B6-BA09-4476-9595-87DF1ADDC76C.jpeg

C6801567-A9CB-4301-8F7A-4956EAB776B6.jpeg

9B623950-A575-45B7-A973-2E712366DB77.jpeg

41986B4A-FC43-4AFE-91F2-A505160C584D.jpeg

Love the sidewinder shifter. There was a ratchet shifter in my orange truck when I got it home, the winters is absolutely preffered. The side to side for each gate takes a little getting used too but no hesitations on going this route again.

Are you going to integrate the LS with the factory cluster, custom gauges, dual computer setup and retain factory cluster, holley terminator setup? 

Also are you going to retain the older body or go to newer body and dash setup?

2 hours ago, ThatJeepGuy said:

Love the sidewinder shifter. There was a ratchet shifter in my orange truck when I got it home, the winters is absolutely preffered. The side to side for each gate takes a little getting used too but no hesitations on going this route again.

Are you going to integrate the LS with the factory cluster, custom gauges, dual computer setup and retain factory cluster, holley terminator setup? 

Also are you going to retain the older body or go to newer body and dash setup?

glad to hear.  i've heard a bunch of people say the sidewinder is awesome.

my first plan was the terminator max, until i found out the lead times on actually buying one.  truthfully i havent put much thought into the gauge side of things. 

i am keeping the body as is.  

• 2 months later...