Taillights Comanche

2 minutes ago, jdog said:

I believe the reflectors are in the lens

Here is a pic of the inside. The reflector is in the housing. It should be fairly simple to get some new reflectors in there if needed but I’m more curious to see how many housings get broken as a result of people trying to swap lenses. Most of the housings out there are in really rough shape anyways. @Dzimm repito housings will probably be hugely popular very soon. Surprised keystone didn’t just make a whole new tail lamp with housing. 

C9CE5160-59C4-4DCF-BF39-2883949609B2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

are you saying that you... won't be buying a pair of repops?  because (assuming an affordable price) I'm betting you will. :D  that'll give you a item to scan after you pull off the old lens.  :L:  not sure what to do about the reflective bits inside (the ones required by DOT so your truck illuminates when headlights hit it) :dunno:  I haven't had time to put my energy into dismantling one yet.  

no I'll be buying the repop lenses for sure, just looking for the housing the lens attaches to that is already missing the lens so that I don't have to dismantle a good light, but I don't really want to spend a fortune on half a light lol.  #96 has a cracked lens but I'd rather have one that is already missing the entire lens.

The reflectors I am sure I will find some kind of reflective tape or very thin reflector that has similar reflective quality as the originals.  I wouldn't sell them if I couldn't find a good reflector. 

On 5/10/2021 at 5:52 PM, scaleless said:

Everyone, quick, sell your tail lamps before the repros crash the market!

Hell no. I've got 2 spare sets. One good, and one meh. Plan to eventually redo the meh set....if they don't turn out well, I'll put the good ones on after the repaint. 

1 minute ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Keep at it patiently. Heat and consistent pressure will eventually release the adhesive. 

ok cool going to take another stab next weekend I need to get through this week of school and then summer :banana:. Thanks for the advice

looooots of patience.  it's super easy to melt the plastic with a full-on heat gun if you pause in a spot for too long.  :(   eventually I'm going to try the oven method with one of my crappier tails. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/10/2021 at 9:50 PM, Dzimm said:

The reflectors I am sure I will find some kind of reflective tape or very thin reflector that has similar reflective quality as the originals.  I wouldn't sell them if I couldn't find a good reflector. 

Dupli-Color spray chrome?