Turn signals (or blinky bits)

well.... one of the big huge tasks is the turn signals on my truck. they don't work. I push up on the lever and the left light in the dash comes on but does not blink or anything and if I push down the right arrow will illuminate but not blink. and if I keep it in the "neutral" position they both come up. the drivers part on the tailight the topmost light stays one but the passengers one doesn't. the front lights when I push the lever down the left drivers side bulb lights up and stays on and vice versa like normal but just not blinking. Also while making this writeup out by my truck I found my drivers big bulb doesn't illuminate. frustrating 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not blinking is usually the relay in the fuse panel.  Easy and cheap to fix.  One is for turn signals, the other is for the hazard lights.

Fast blink is burned out or disconnected bulb.  You won't see that until after you replace the flasher relay.

2 minutes ago, derf said:

Did you check your blinker fluid?

Sorry.  Had to. :P

:P

2 minutes ago, derf said:

Not blinking is usually the relay in the fuse panel.  Easy and cheap to fix.  One is for turn signals, the other is for the hazard lights.

Fast blink is burned out or disconnected bulb.  You won't see that until after you replace the flasher relay.

well time to go to autozone. 

The top two lenses on the tails light up with running and turn signals. Also your lights on and not blinking when the lever is moved sounds like the grand old classic symptom of back socket grounds. If you haven’t replaced the sockets with the newer/older style metal sockets, then the problem lies in those Ford ranger sockets. The ground tab loves to rust in those sockets. 

5 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

The top two lenses on the tails light up with running and turn signals. Also your lights on and not blinking when the lever is moved sounds like the grand old classic symptom of back socket grounds. If you haven’t replaced the sockets with the newer/older style metal sockets, then the problem lies in those Ford ranger sockets. The ground tab loves to rust in those sockets. 

what are sockets and how do I fix it

5 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

what are sockets and how do I fix it

Sockets are the things the bulbs plug and twist into. Not sure if I’m readin into that right but that’s all they are. If you remove your front headlamp bezel and remove the unscrew the turn signal housing, you should find a plastic like socket plugged into the housing. 

And to fix you would just order newer style XJ sockets and splice them into the harness while cutting off the old socket. 

6 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Sockets are the things the bulbs plug and twist into. Not sure if I’m readin into that right but that’s all they are. If you remove your front headlamp bezel and remove the unscrew the turn signal housing, you should find a plastic like socket plugged into the housing. 

And to fix you would just order newer style XJ sockets and splice them into the harness while cutting off the old socket. 

ok solid. maybe a trip to the j yard is in my future

3 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

is there anyway I can check if they are good just to be sure? the sockets that is

I mean you could go to the junkyard or you could order them new. Your call. Also just follow above what I said about removing the socket and just remove the bulb and look inside the socket. 

5 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I mean you could go to the junkyard or you could order them new. Your call. Also just follow above what I said about removing the socket and just remove the bulb and look inside the socket. 

ok solid thanks for your help. I am gonna run out there quick.

got the bulb off and this looks no good. also my turn signals only work when my running lights/ or full lights are on idk if that is normal for these trucks. and the turn signal on my drivers tailight stays on all the time

IMG-0763.JPG

IMG-0764.JPG

When splicing in the new connectors, be sure to at least use weatherproof butt splices that have a built in heat shrink. Soldering the connections and adding heat shrink is even better. Just don’t use the generic butt connectors as they do not seal up and they will get nasty with all the stuff the tires sling on them.