Turn signals (or blinky bits)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, ohm between the black wire and ground With the key off.

If that's 0 ohms check for vvoltage on

The blue wire with the lights on. These wires should go to the bottom circuit of the light bulb. Once you've done these we will check the next set

Look for a setting that shows the ohms symbol (google what it looks like). Or read the manual that came with your meter. 

What your measuring is the resistance or continuity of a wire from end to end. If a wire is damaged it will either have a high resistance reading from end to end or it won’t read at all (most meters display the infinity symbol). 

Put your meter in whatever mode shows resistance. Then touch both your black and red leads together. You should see 0ohms on the meter meaning that there is no resistance (aka there is a good connection). Now try testing the lines from end to end as mentioned in the previous posts. One lead on one end of the wire and the other lead on the other end of the wire. It doesn’t matter which lead is used in which end. 

If your still unsure what this process is checkout a YouTube video on measuring resistance with a multimeter. Remember, google is our friend :L:

14 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Look for a setting that shows the ohms symbol (google what it looks like). Or read the manual that came with your meter. 

What your measuring is the resistance or continuity of a wire from end to end. If a wire is damaged it will either have a high resistance reading from end to end or it won’t read at all (most meters display the infinity symbol). 

Put your meter in whatever mode shows resistance. Then touch both your black and red leads together. You should see 0ohms on the meter meaning that there is no resistance (aka there is a good connection). Now try testing the lines from end to end as mentioned in the previous posts. One lead on one end of the wire and the other lead on the other end of the wire. It doesn’t matter which lead is used in which end. 

If your still unsure what this process is checkout a YouTube video on measuring resistance with a multimeter. Remember, google is our friend :L:

well yes I get that but just what @jdogI am not quite sure what this part means

2 hours ago, jdog said:

The blue wire with the lights on. These wires should go to the bottom circuit of the light bulb. Once you've done these we will check the next set

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

aren't there wiring diagrams in the factory shop manual?  the link in my sign should have a link to the 89, which might be close enough to help. 

I can't find it in the manual I have

4 minutes ago, jdog said:

Black wires are grounds.

Let's just stick with that test first. So ohm between the spot where you spliced to the ground behind the taillight.

ok it says 0.1-0.04

2 hours ago, Jesse J said:

well yes I get that but just what @jdogI am not quite sure what this part means

@jdog asked: “which multimeter do you own”. Logically this would indicate that he is assuming you need help knowing how to use your meter. If you know how to use your meter and perform the test then the type of meter you have is irrelevant. 

it was in response to your question: “

ok explain that too me in a much simpler way kinda confused what I should do”

Now in regards to your ohm test, your looking for the smallest number you get with your reading. So in your case .1 ohms which would indicate good continuity and minimal resistance in that circuit.

2 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

@jdog asked: “which multimeter do you own”. Logically this would indicate that he is assuming you need help knowing how to use your meter. If you know how to use your meter and perform the test then the type of meter you have is irrelevant. 

it was in response to your question: “

ok explain that too me in a much simpler way kinda confused what I should do”

Now in regards to your ohm test, your looking for the smallest number you get with your reading. So in your case .1 ohms which would indicate good continuity and minimal resistance in that circuit.

Yep that was my thinking