Turn signals (or blinky bits)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, jdog said:

Have you done cruisers tips 1-5? Sounds like a bad ground or bad sockets

gonna order new sockets tonight and yes I have the engine block ground actual fixed my brake/taillight and reverse lights 

10 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

I had the same issue. Once I replaced all the tail light sockets and bulbs the problem was solved. A bad bulb or socket will backfead power from the brake lights to the parking lights and dash indicators. Sounds bizarre but they are all interconnected. For the sockets, if you can get new oem that’s great but a quick to the electrical section in your local auto parts store will reveal the Dorman part numbers that fit. You’ll need the 4 tail/turn signal sockets and the 2 reverse signal ones. New bulbs are a must as well and don’t go LEDs except maybe the reverse lights if you want. 

2 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I had the same issue. Once I replaced all the tail light sockets and bulbs the problem was solved. A bad bulb or socket will backfead power from the brake lights to the parking lights and dash indicators. Sounds bizarre but they are all interconnected. For the sockets, if you can get new oem that’s great but a quick to the electrical section in your local auto parts store will reveal the Dorman part numbers that fit. You’ll need the 4 tail/turn signal sockets and the 2 reverse signal ones. New bulbs are a must as well and don’t go LEDs except maybe the reverse lights if you want. 

that's the plan. gonna stop by napa or whatever friday and pick up new relays and bulbs

Just now, Jesse J said:

that's the plan. gonna stop by napa or whatever friday and pick up new relays and bulbs

And weatherproof butt connectors. Home Depot has a fair amount of them at a good price if there is one close by. I have a commercial account at our local Napa (yep there’s Napas out here on Guam) but the prices for those connectors are quite high. A good crimper goes a long way also.

6 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

uggh I hate electrical work. it's so finicky

Lol, electrical can be almost therapeutic if you take your time and work through the issues. Every problem on a 30+ yo Jeep is finicky though. They will drain your wallet then spit you out with bloody knuckles. Two days ago I went to work on my e brake to rebuild it. Seems like a fairly easy task right? Simple cheap Sunday afternoon kind of job? Nope! Two broken cobalt drill bits, broken tap and several nasty cuts later and the whole assembly is scattered in the back of the bed as scrap metal. I’ll have to redo it all. Probably will have $100+ in a “simple” fix plus many hours. 

1 minute ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Lol, electrical can be almost therapeutic if you take your time and work through the issues. Every problem on a 30+ yo Jeep is finicky though. They will drain your wallet then spit you out with bluffs knuckles. Two days ago I went to work on my e brake to rebuild it. Seems like a fairly easy task right? Simple cheap Sunday afternoon kind of job? Nope! Two broken cobalt drill bits, broken tap and several nasty cuts later and the whole assembly is scattered in the back of the bed as scrap metal. I’ll have to redo it all. Probably will have $100+ in a “simple” fix plus many hours. 

lol. It can't ever be easy:doh:

Just now, ghetdjc320 said:

Yep. If I looked at Jeeps and compared the time spent actually riding/driving vs the time and money spent wrenching, we would probably be better off renting a Jeep for $100/hr

lol. they look so good even if they are on jackstands in the backyard though so it's worth it

• 2 weeks later...