mpg

On an trip just recently I got 26mpg on premium fuel running at 70 mph that with an 89 eliminator 5speed 2wd 3:07 rears

:Canadaflag:

marty

highway loaded up in my 4wd 5-spd w/ 3.07s and 235/75r15s i get bout 22-23

my normal driving involves ALOT of traffic/redlights. add that with having the foot of a teenager (welll, add that with BEING a teenager) wait scratch that, add that with being MALE. and i don't get alot of mpg-age.

Gotta love the Renix for those MPG's. My H.O. gets 14 in the city and about 16 on the highway.

Ever try higher octane? My 91 get about 25 highway, have never figured city since I don't drive it much. It is also a 4x4 auto though...

I run premium in it thought, that is all that has been in it since I got it. Plus I swapped it over to full Syn Power oil and high mileage tranny fluid. Then again it just dawned on me, mine only has like 16k miles on it... DOH!!

Alex

Gotta love the Renix for those MPG's. My H.O. gets 14 in the city and about 16 on the highway.

Ever try higher octane? My 91 get about 25 highway, have never figured city since I don't drive it much. It is also a 4x4 auto though...

I run premium in it thought, that is all that has been in it since I got it. Plus I swapped it over to full Syn Power oil and high mileage tranny fluid. Then again it just dawned on me, mine only has like 16k miles on it... DOH!!

Alex

I run premium as well, but I hear that California has more additives in gas. I remember when I first got this truck it was an Ohio truck shipped to me with over half a tank, and on the first tank of gas I got like 17 city, I haven't got that kind of mileage since that tank of gas.

Where I live you have to watch out for the 10% etheanol fuel. It seems that slowly but surely that they are trying to force everyone over to ethanol. So If I get gas close to the city (40 miles away) you only get 90% gas for the same price as my 100% gas. Just doesn't seem right to me :???: By the way my XJ gets roughly 19mpg and that is with 33's and 3.07's :nuts: :eek: Don't worry I am going to fix that

'88 MJ 4.0L, 5-speed running 3.73 gears and 31x10.50 tires I typically got 19 MPG in mixed driving and 21 or 22 highway. The '88 XJ 4.0L 5-speed in completely stock trim (with 260,000+ miles on it) still delivers 20 to 21 MPG in mixed driving and 22 or so highway.

You should be right around 20 MPG or maybe a bit better if you drive semi-sanely.

• 2 weeks later...
My sons 1990 4.0L with AW4 is getting about 17 31" tires and 4:10 gears. Not much driving over 50 mph

Of course, everyone knows this, but bigger tires and/or gear changes affect the speedometer calibration. If you don't change to the correct speedo gear for your setup and you use your speedo to figure gas mileage, it will not be accurate. When I went to 31" tires and 4.10 gears I also went from a 36 tooth to a 38 tooth speedo gear and had the speedo checked. It's right. With the AW4 and stroker I get 20-21 highway cruising at 65-70 MPH, but a crappy 13-15 in town no matter what I do. So in town I just get on it hard all the time :cheers:

does any one know what type a mileage an mj with 35's and maybe 4:56 gears should get?..or 4:10's ...contemplating which direction to go...

If mpg is anywhere in your head, you probably should be sticking with 235s.

But regardless, with 35s you should contemplating 4.56 or 4.88s. The deeper the gearing, the better.

does any one know what type a mileage an mj with 35's and maybe 4:56 gears should get?..or 4:10's ...contemplating which direction to go...

If mpg is anywhere in your head, you probably should be sticking with 235s.

But regardless, with 35s you should contemplating 4.56 or 4.88s. The deeper the gearing, the better.

haha yes i know but i was just wondering since i am in the process of buying gears ....i wanted to see what kind of change i would see mpg wise...since I'm only getting but about 10 mpg right now (city)...any info would be great...

But in my opinion you shouldn't even be thinking about mpg when looking into gears to match 35s. You should be thinking about what gears would best put the engine into that sweet spot of torque in the power band. Doing that would produce the best drive-ability (and as a bonus that should also give you the the best mpg). I would go with 4.88s personally, but 4.56 should be fine too.

But regardless, if you've got 35s right now with stock gears, any of the 4.xx ratios will produce better mpg so you should see some improvement either way.

But in my opinion you shouldn't even be thinking about mpg when looking into gears to match 35s. You should be thinking about what gears would best put the engine into that sweet spot of torque in the power band. Doing that would produce the best drive-ability (and as a bonus that should also give you the the best mpg). I would go with 4.88s personally, but 4.56 should be fine too.

But regardless, if you've got 35s right now with stock gears, any of the 4.xx ratios will produce better mpg so you should see some improvement either way.

Yes sir that is exactly what i am doing ... i was just being a curious george and wondering what sort of effects i would have mpg wise when switching gears in terms of numeric gains..i know what gears i need and suit my drivability best already for ive done all the mathematical calculations .other than just pure knowledge of jeeping . i was just looking for a real world view as in someone who might already have the setup of 35 and 4:56 gears..and see where they were numerically wise in mpg...i know I'm not going to get 10 more mpg but just curious if any other manche owner has has a ny experience with th e setup....cheers...any info is greatly appreciated... :cheers:

the XJ has 35s and 4.88s with an automatic and its real nice but maybe a tad deep. not exactly sure on the mileage but it aint bad... least 15-18

i might go for 4.56 with the auto if you're DEFINITELY never going taller. but i have NO complaints of driving the 35s and 4.88s cause its nice :brows:

with stick go 4.88 and don't look back

the XJ has 35s and 4.88s with an automatic and its real nice but maybe a tad deep. not exactly sure on the mileage but it aint bad... least 15-18

i might go for 4.56 with the auto if you're DEFINITELY never going taller. but i have NO complaints of driving the 35s and 4.88s cause its nice :brows:

with stick go 4.88 and don't look back

thnx bud exactly what i needed jamminz.gif ...mines an automatic so ill probably go 4:56....thnx alot ..now those numbers are city? or highway or both..?