Valerie (88')

I got my MJ from a guy off Craigslist in my area. He had already started fixing it up but was moving to Hawaii and couldn't afford to ship it. 

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I saw a truck with "jeep" on the tailgate down the street from my house, googled it, and immediately wanted one. I was super lucky to find one so close to me.

It is in good shape. I've been told by mechanically inclined family that it has minimal body work done/needed. It needs a lot of cosmetic work though. Looks like it started out maroon, but all the trim/grille pieces were bright red. The previous owner spray painted it black, and the trim/bumpers silver 🤦🏻‍♀️

So far she's got an oil change, new plugs and wires, distributor cap, map sensor, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the vac hose harness, new idle control valve, air filter, and throttle position sensor, painted/replaced grille and light assembly trim, new headlights, new parking lights and blinkers, new starter, new O2 sensor, new temp sensor, recently replaced the drum brakes and wheel cylinders in the rear, all new disc brakes/hub assemblies and calipers in the front, new brake hoses, new master cylinder, bled/flushed the brakes, new wheel studs, upgraded ground/battery cables, injectors, new power steering pulley and new serpentine belt.

I'm currently waiting on my new front and rear bumpers from dirtbound to arrive, and I have a new fuel pump sending unit assembly that I'm trying to find time to install. Hopefully I can get to it now that the holidays have passed. I eventually want to do new rims and tires, and I'm contemplating a small lift. I want to do bed bars in the back. I currently have two tailgates. A black one that is my "around town" tailgate. It's black and matches the truck but its dented up,  has a little rust, and a big gap. The red tailgate is in better shape and will be the one I use when I get to body work/paint.

I have an oil leak and I'm thinking of taking it to a local place to get fixed. Everyone I've talked to said it's a pain to do and I should just have someone do it for me 😄

The interior is clean...ish? I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it. I need new carpet, new visors, the bench seat needs to be reappolstered,  and there's some holes in the door panels that I think I may put speakers in. I haven't had a lot of look finding interior stuff. All the weather stripping needs to be replaced, and both windows will roll down but won't roll up 😄. Need to replace the front and back glass and the wipers. 

I'm rambling. I'm sorry. 

This is Valerie. 

20200708_200648.jpg

20200718_095924.jpg

20201031_082945.jpg

20201124_203703.jpg

20201129_112636.jpg

20201107_122355.jpg

20200907_113259.jpg

20201205_141551.jpg

20200907_165403.jpg

20201230_161025.jpg

20200905_083425.jpg

20201224_122252.jpg

20201224_120937.jpg

20201224_122016.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the addiction   :D 

-ACC makes new carpet (they are the only manufacturer and all others are resellers so just find the best price and run with it).  it fits... ok.  be prepared to spend some time with it and be sure to request there be no trans tunnel cutouts.  I believe there's an install writeup in the DIY forum?  if not, there really should be.

-raybuck makes new covers for the bench seats but I'm not sure if they make them for the straight front edge ones (as opposed to the ones that have a notch in the middle for the floor shifter).  you'll want to talk to them.  or find a local upholstery place. :L: 

-be sure to read through this thread if you haven't already

10 minutes ago, Pete M said:

welcome to the addiction   :D 

-ACC makes new carpet (they are the only manufacturer and all others are resellers so just find the best price and run with it).  it fits... ok.  be prepared to spend some time with it and be sure to request there be no trans tunnel cutouts.  I believe there's an install writeup in the DIY forum?  if not, there really should be.

-raybuck makes new covers for the bench seats but I'm not sure if they make them for the straight front edge ones (as opposed to the ones that have a notch in the middle for the floor shifter).  you'll want to talk to them.  or find a local upholstery place. :L: 

-be sure to read through this thread if you haven't already

Thank you for the tips! I'll definitely check out that thread, and those sources! Appreciate it 

Took her for the longest ride I've taken her on since I got her yesterday out to my parents house. Replaced the oil seals (which were basically non-existent) cleaned the bearings, and repacked them. Not a big deal but its part of the process so here it is 😄 ordered new dust caps that will be here this week, along with new wiper arms. Its rainy season here so I gotta make sure I can see! She goes to the shop this week to get oil leaks fixed. They say it's the front by the timing cover, but it's also leaking onto the exhaust directly behind the cab. I asked my father to help me figure it out and he said it would be worth it to just pay to get it fixed because thats a "pain in the @$$". 😄 when she gets back I'll be dropping the gas tank and changing the fuel pump/sending unit assembly. 

20210102_120110.jpg

20210102_134940.jpg

20210102_120845.jpg

20210102_133140.jpg

20210102_141322.jpg

20210102_142159.jpg

20210102_142432.jpg

20210102_175703.jpg

I'm sorry, not behind the cab, under the cab? I'm not sure exactly. But I think it might be the rear main seal? That's what I've been told. But I'll find out next week.  Also took her on the highway. She's good up to 55 but at 60 she gets a little shakey. I read that it might be the tires out of balance? Gonna have to look more into it.

Be careful changing out the fuel pump. They come complete with a fuel gauge sending unit and the ohm readings on the new pump/gauge assembly will be different than your present pump. Your fuel gauge will work backwards. 

I know you can find out more info here at the site. Maybe you can use the sending part from your present pump. I was not lucky enough to have the old pump when I got my MJ. 

New tires make a world of difference.

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

Be careful changing out the fuel pump. They come complete with a fuel gauge sending unit and the ohm readings on the new pump/gauge assembly will be different than your present pump. Your fuel gauge will work backwards. 

I know you can find out more info here at the site. Maybe you can use the sending part from your present pump. I was not lucky enough to have the old pump when I got my MJ. 

New tires make a world of difference.

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

My fuel gauge doesn't currently work, when I had it looked at for diagnostics at a local shop they said my sending unit was bad. The only reason I was replacing the pump was because I'd already be in there and figured why not? But I'll do more research on it!

1 minute ago, DaffodilRex said:

My fuel gauge doesn't currently work, when I had it looked at for diagnostics at a local shop they said my sending unit was bad. The only reason I was replacing the pump was because I'd already be in there and figured why not? But I'll do more research on it!

a clear tube level with your fuel tank works:roflmao: