The Ugly Truckling

89 MJ

My latest acquisition. I’ll get it in the registry once I get the interior emptied. It’s an 88 Pioneer, 4.0, 5 speed (AX-15 swapped in), D30 and D35, looks to have a 3 inch lift. The only rust that I’ve found on the truck is in the floors. It needs front fenders, which I have, a header panel, which I have, and doors, one of which I will need to source. It came with most of the needed parts to swap to a grey interior from a tan one (not sure I will), grey MJ bucket seats, and of course, a sportbar, which will find its way into the my blue truck, and a bunch of misc parts. What’s the plan for the truck? I do not know, as of now, the first step is to make it fun and drive, then I will probably start replacing the damaged body panels. 

62F2E422-62E7-4C7C-9445-864A7F076664.jpeg.98047e8849393f905948ee6c22a78d64.jpeg5207A225-844F-45D6-B141-967A0243BFC4.jpeg.09524e36176b936a27c78d72ca652ba3.jpeg79C69CA5-5D78-4817-9635-8663D68397C0.jpeg.517033527ce400a7879d97af4f847b1b.jpegD0A330B0-92DB-440D-8EDA-3BCFAEE3C391.jpeg.9b2dc8126072f038cb3278774c5f6137.jpeg

This truck is honestly nicer than my blue truck was when I first got it, but pictures make it look nicer than it really is.

5C9A162D-404B-4DFE-9891-46832747745B.jpeg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a mostly complete list of everything that I got when I got the truck (I did pay more than the asking price to get the truck with the parts though).

1 NOS Tailgate

1 NOS Parking brake release handle with cable

4 Rear flares with intact mounting plates, none of the studs are broken

1 Complete grey bucket seat interior, less dash and visors

1 Front skidplate

1 sportbar (obviously)

Bunch of new steering components

1 3" lift (on the truck)

1 Extra tan dash

4 grey door panels

2 sets of MJ tails (1 set is not super nice, but still useable)

I think that about covers it.

2 minutes ago, scguy said:

Awesome, can't wait to see what this one ends up like. Always a good day to see another MJ on the path back to the road. 

This one is not going to be pretty. I am going to be putting blue (the teal color on 96 XJs) front fenders and header panel on it. It will probably get a silver passenger door, and I will need to source a driver door.

1 minute ago, Jesse J said:

you also need to find tow mirrors for it

Maybe, I know my silver door doesn't have tow mirrors, and I do have a good set of regular mirrors, so it will probably just be getting regular mirrors. Although, I really don't hate the looks of the tow mirrors, so if I can find a good set of tow mirror doors, I might put the tow mirrors back on it.

1 minute ago, 89 MJ said:

Maybe, I know my silver door doesn't have tow mirrors, and I do have a good set of regular mirrors, so it will probably just be getting regular mirrors. Although, I really don't hate the looks of the tow mirrors, so if I can find a good set of tow mirror doors, I might put the tow mirrors back on it.

I really like the look of the tow mirrors. although maybe I'm a little bias. have you decided if your are swaping interiors on your blue truck?

2 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

have you decided if your are swaping interiors on your blue truck?

I do plan to keep the blue interior in the blue truck at this point. The main reason being that it is my daily driver in the summer, and there might be times that I need to have the 3rd seat. The Ugly Truckling is probably going to keep its tan interior, but get the grey buckets and center console installed for now. 

I do plan to keep the blue interior in the blue truck at this point. The main reason being that it is my daily driver in the summer, and there might be times that I need to have the 3rd seat. The Ugly Truckling is probably going to keep its tan interior, but get the grey buckets and center console installed for now. 

that makes sense bench seats are the best the most 'trucky'. 

1 hour ago, neohic said:

I’m about 90% that I almost bought this truck years ago. The AX15 swap... is it mounted on a modified trans crossmember instead of the proper factory AX15 crossmember? 

To be honest, I went there to buy a rollbar an an NOS tailgate. A truck just came home too. I did look over the truck fairly well, but did not look at the crossmember. 

To be honest, I went there to buy a rollbar an an NOS tailgate. A truck just came home too. I did look over the truck fairly well, but did not look at the crossmember. 

It’ll be tough to spot. If this is the truck I remember, the crossmember should be modified just were the mount is on the middle. Must’ve been two owners ago?

Anyhow... looks like a good truck to do something with. 

12 hours ago, neohic said:

It’ll be tough to spot. If this is the truck I remember, the crossmember should be modified just were the mount is on the middle. Must’ve been two owners ago?

Now you have me curious. I will need to crawl under it and look at it today. It would be a great truck for someone to restore. As of now, I am planning on making it run and drive and go from there. I will probably put floors in it too. 

On 12/14/2020 at 8:22 PM, neohic said:

I crawled under it. It does have a modified crossmember. Must be the same truck. 

11 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I crawled under it. It does have a modified crossmember. Must be the same truck. 

Neat! It must’ve been 2011? I passed on it because I needed another vehicle but I didn’t have time to fuss with this one. It wasn’t a runner at the time nor did it have the different bed or header panel. The seller’s name was Clay and he was the one who modified the crossmember. Years later I recall seeing it for sale again with this bed on it. I’d love to have another shot at it if it still had the original bed. 

Small world. 

Edit... had to go look into my archives and I remember deleting the pictures of it a month ago thinking, “meh... I know what a red Comanche looks like”.

42 minutes ago, neohic said:

Neat! It must’ve been 2011? I passed on it because I needed another vehicle but I didn’t have time to fuss with this one. It wasn’t a runner at the time nor did it have the different bed or header panel. The seller’s name was Clay and he was the one who modified the crossmember. Years later I recall seeing it for sale again with this bed on it. I’d love to have another shot at it if it still had the original bed. 

Small world. 

Edit... had to go look into my archives and I remember deleting the pictures of it a month ago thinking, “meh... I know what a red Comanche looks like”.

Cool! I was told that this one ran before the fuel tank was removed, but :dunno:

I already have one guy who was asking me how much I will want for this truck once I get my straight body panels on it and get it running and driving. Plus I will need to check with the guy who tried to buy my blue truck from me back when it was white. In other news, hopefully I will be able to start on this next week.

I got this old girl started today! Little bit of starting fluid and the booster pack and she popped right off. I might install the fuel tank tomorrow or one day this week and get it running on fuel from the tank. I also painted the tank while it was out. 

7EA077CE-51FB-4451-9D04-F5084ACC1B02.jpeg.0ee4374ec78dc5c4a4b8d8eb688e32b0.jpeg799B6A60-8F43-41D0-A2EA-90D98EDDB727.jpeg.9a375794b8e3cc1c9028da67f95e89ae.jpeg