Adding Power to 4.0

The ongoing discussion in the 800+ HP post over on the Pub has got me wondering about actually achievable power increases we could attain 'relatively' easily.  We have all heard and talked about bored TB, injectors, horseshoe intake, ect, More specifically I'm curious about camshafts available for the 4.0.

Does anyone know of camshafts that increase power without causing other negative affects for this motor?  What auxiliary upgrades may be required to swap in an agressive cam?  

I've never really dig into it to get the info but in sure some of you have read up on this.

I’ve run a few different cams. The latest cam I’m running is a 505 performance cam (not a fan of the customer service but the cam is nice). Keeps plenty of torque down low but keeps a surprisingly flat response and doesn’t die off at higher rpm. Granted, I built up my 4.0 quite a bit. Also ran the comp 235 and 232 along with the Mopar purple cam. 

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/

I sort of followed this website. I have messed with a few of the upgrades. I have not changed out the cam. I'd have to check what cam I bought for my stroker. I think a Comp Cam 268 ??? from Russ Pottenger.  I was not after HP, but a street able engine and MPG. My compression will be roughly 9.0:1. 

Some of this would be matching upgrades. I did put on a 2.5 exhaust, Thorley Ceramic Header, and the horseshoe intake. Also, Ford Injector. There was probably some power increase. When I bored the stock TB to 60mm, I did much better on some mountain inclines. When I went to a BBK 62MM TB, it felt rougher. Not knocking the BBK TB. It could have been other issues. I installed some 12 hole injectors. Initially, it seemed like a big improvement. Then it sort of 'lost tune'. 

I will add that regearing helped. I went from 31's and 3.55 gearing to 31's and 4.10 gearing. Big help. Sometime in that, I did a HnT. That helped a driveline vibe, and also, it seemed to jam up or lose power around 40 mph. 

Still, a lot to learn for me. Also, some other mods to test. 

The Mopar cam felt a lot like stock HO cam. About the same curve with maybe a touch more. Both comp cams added a good amount of torque under the curve between 1500-2000 rpm but fell flat on their faces at about 4500rpm. Haven’t tried Lunati, Crane or Isky. You could also do a custom grind with most of those manufacturers. Here is how I built my latest 4.0:

250k 96 block (first year for NVH enhancements)

bored .060

decked for zero clearance (pistons actually .003 out of the hole. 
rotating assembly balanced

KB hypereutectic pistons

arp rod, main and head bolts

Cometic .040 MLS head gasket

Edelbrock aluminum head

63mm throttle body (63mm is the actual opening size on the HO and 99+ intakes

505 stage 1.5 cam

adjustable roller rocker

Molly pushrods

Hylift-Johnson type S lifters

melling high volume oil pump

505 Teflon cam bearings

king main and rod bearings

99 intake

ford purple 24lb 6 hole injectors

JBA exhaust with TJ downpipe (wraps in front of the oil pan)

Compression is just about 10:1 but with quench at .037 I get no issues running 87 though I mostly run 91. 
I don’t have access to a dyno here but this rig definitely outperforms my last stroker build in my YJ. I will say though that the aw4 really is a power leech. My next project if time and funds allow us to get the ecu socketed and tune it.  I ran a Holley stand alone efi on the YJ but haven’t gotten around to doing that in the mj.

And one last note: after having dealt extensively with Clifford, Hesco and 505 Performance, I really don’t recommend any of them. Some of their products are decent but between misrepresenting products, overpricing off the shelf components and terrible customer service I’ve come to group them all into my “don’t contact them unless there is no one else” category. Russ Pottenger does amazing work however and his pricing and skills can’t be beat. Clegg actually gave me really good customer service as did Hylift-Johnson and of course Summit Racing as always. Comp cams would also hardly ever answer the phone or a tech question but I just bought through summit instead once I knew what I needed. Edelbrock was very helpful and the guys @ efi systems pro (all things Holley efi) were also super good to work with.

1 hour ago, omega_rugal said:

According to that chart, Renix and early mopar are identical, is that correct? how they got rid of the EGR?

Almost identical. Same lift but the intake lobe has a different angle. I’ve never used a stock renix cam but I assume it would give just a bit more vacuum than the HO model. 

A cross flow head would probably be one of the best bolt on NA mods for this I6 but would be quite a challenging design. At some point though it’s probably worth just swapping in a different engine. I’ve considered that for my far distant future build. I think also if electric superchargers really take off that could be a neat power adder. Supposedly Garrett was coming out with one. 

1 hour ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Yeah he can get you the best setup for sure

Also, he will get you a setup to meet your needs. I didn't want the ultimate 4.6 stroker.. I wanted a street motor, to run on 87 octane. Pistons, cam, head CC, to achieve this. 

7 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

A cross flow head would probably be one of the best bolt on NA mods for this I6 but would be quite a challenging design. At some point though it’s probably worth just swapping in a different engine. I’ve considered that for my far distant future build. I think also if electric superchargers really take off that could be a neat power adder. Supposedly Garrett was coming out with one. 

a crossflow head, with 2 spark plugs... twice the pleasure

such head would need to be OHC which will need mjor modifications to the engine... or to run a large chain in front of the engine

6 hours ago, omega_rugal said:

wait, if we remove the timing cover it may run all the way up... mmm

You’d have to redesign the water outlets, run a coil pack ignition and get a new cam sensor setup. It could definitely be done but by someone who owns a CNC shop with a huge budget and a love of the 4.0. Essentially they would be building a BMW engine and there’s nothing wrong with that