Out of the loop

Eagle

Be safe Eagle.:beerchug:

I know everyone's situation is different, but having a generator (even a small one) during an extended power outage can make the difference between a semi-crappy and a downright dismal experience.

2 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

Be safe Eagle.:beerchug:

I know everyone's situation is different, but having a generator (even a small one) during an extended power outage can make the difference between a semi-crappy and a downright dismal experience.

Truth. Naturally, my old generator crapped out during a previous winter storm. I had bought a new one, but the old one used a 3=wire hook-up, the new one needs a 4-wire connection. Once I awoke to the fact that the power company is in absentia, I made the wiring changes yesterday and fired up the new generator. Don't know if I trust it to be clean enough for a computer, so I'm on an old notebook with a cellular WiFi hotspot for Internet.

The bad news is that my refrigerator was without power for about 48 hours. I'm trying to research how much I'm going to have to toss.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

The bad news is that my refrigerator was without power for about 48 hours. I'm trying to research how much I'm going to have to toss.

That's mostly going to depend on how many times it was opened, 48 hours tho is too long for most things.  Most of your condiments should be fine, especially the ketchup and mustard.  Eggs, milk, meat, ect is unfortunately a different story.

'04 sucked for us here in Central Florida. Between hurricanes Charley, Francis and Jean we were without power for 20 something days total. Our daughter was 5 months old and I stood in line for 4 hours with her waiting for a delivery of generators to a tool store, that was just before Francis. Got one big enough to power the fridge, a 110 window ac unit and a few lights and fans and that really worked well. All power lines where we lived were above ground and there was a lot of damage. During Charley we lost our biggest tree, 80 year old, at least 80 feet tall southern pine, uprooted and landed on the neighbors house. We had to drop 4 more pines just before the 3rd hurricane, they were starting to uproot from the massive rains we got from the 2nd hurricane. And then '05 came with Katrina and made me feel fortunate we didn't have that one. 

Be safe with the chainsaw and climbing, stay hydrated and get your rest! 

Buck