what are good tires?

I'm thinking of getting new tires for my cherokee. reason being that the 235/17/r15 Apaches that I have have dry rot, and the bfg mud terrains are just junk tread-wise.

so I'm in need of new tires for it. here's what I need

29x9.5 or 10.5 . they have to be good year-round, and mild off-road use. what is a good suggestion, where should I look, and what prices should I expect.

I was thinking bfg radial all terrains, I like the aggressive stance and tread they offer, with the reliability factor.

this xj is a DD right now (or will be) and will be used mildly offroad. there is no lift, and I don't intend to do one in the near future (think in half year segments...) as the rest of my money will be devoted to school and getting the 3800 ship-shape again. it sees mostly road use, I'm in wisconsin and snow/ice is prevalent (used to be anyways...), and they do salt here. I commute 45 min. each way every weekday.

any suggestions? low cost and high quality are the desireds here

I like the BFG A/Ts. They're a good tire.

I think a MT/R in that size might also work well for you - but they make a bit more noise.

cool.

I don't care about noise...I won't ever get fast enough for it to be a problem (it's a 2.5, come on :oops: )

ideas on cost? I can't seem to find any specifics?

Nope. In my entire life I've only bought one set of tires new. And they were for my cutlass supreme.

I found a GREAT deal on a set of 33x11.50R17 MT/R's that would work well with my brother's rubicon rims...so he's gonna have to check them out.

found a few deals on P245/70/R15's but idk if they're good enough.

and I don't want 31" anyways...I can't lift the xj right now.

Cocroft has 2 sets of tires that are like new in about the size you are looking for. 1 set is MTR's and the other set are an off brand mud tires that look like BFG's but I don't remember the brand.

The BFG's are awesome tires ...at a price. I saw a knockoff of the A/T the other day.(Dang I wish I could remember the name) Nearly identical tread at a cheaper price, but I've seen BFG's run 70,000 miles, so......

My 31" BFG AT KO's have 65,000 miles on them and will last an easy 10,000 miles more. They are great tires for a DD and are like the energizer bunny wear wise. 8)

I like the BFG A/Ts. They're a good tire.

I think a MT/R in that size might also work well for you - but they make a bit more noise.

BFG yes.

MTR HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!! Absolute crap in the snow/sleet/slush mix. The only thing an MTR is great on is rocks, everything else you can find much better tires for.

Bridgestone Dueler Revo Best winter weather tire I have ever had. Very good on all off-road surfaces except sloppy gumbo mud. Been to the Cliff's? That kind of mud.

MTR HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!! Absolute crap in the snow/sleet/slush mix. The only thing an MTR is great on is rocks, everything else you can find much better tires for.

Really? Mine are siped like mad, and I can walk through icy conditions with them that leave every other tire going sideways (at least off-road tire).

i had MT/R's on my YJ. absolutely loved them. i just may put a set on the MJ when my current set of Trxxus M/T's wear out. that being said, i love the trxxus m/t's.

my vote for the driving you're talking about is either mtr's or trxxus m/t's. the trxxus are probably a better tire for all around. good siping for wet/slippery conditions, and they're much quieter than the goodyears.

i like the bfg commercial t\a, mine(235\75r15-no lift) have seen 3 summers and 3 winters and am just beginning to see wear. they blew me away in the winter, best grip in snow and ice ive ever experienced. they do fill ez in the mud but do a prety decent job as an all terrain (ive also yet to have a puncture despite all the getto jobsites i drive)

BFG A/T is exactly what you're looking for and they're well priced. The M/Ts don't do as well in the slick stuff, it seems to me, but I've only compared them on a larger/heavier truck than the ones I had the A/Ts on.

And the Generals are good tires too, and less expensive.

Open Country A/Ts are another good choice.

BFG A/T's are nottttt well priced but are a good tire

I disagree. 31s are $124 a piece through tire rack, and I feel that is a good price, and you're practically buying two sets of tires with one purchase.

Tire rack does also have the Generals, and it's $100 per tire.

so general consensus is bfg A/T over good year?

I'm thinking of just grabbing a new set so I don't have to worry about failure...and grabbign a 5th at the same time. I found a tire rack, and since I have 8 canyons I can get a spare fullsize

30x9.5 or 29x9.5 (or 10.5 on the 29) is what I'm looking at getting, in BFG radial A/t's unless someone things the goodyears are better...

my brother had the high-tec muds, they were a good tire, couldn't tell they were retreads, and he had them on his DD for 2 years.

Still had good tread when he sold them.

How's the compound? I always imagined them to be extra soft and I know that back in the days, they'd chunk. Any of these things left?

I do like soft tires :thumbsup:

so general consensus is bfg A/T over good year?

I'm thinking of just grabbing a new set so I don't have to worry about failure...and grabbign a 5th at the same time. I found a tire rack, and since I have 8 canyons I can get a spare fullsize

30x9.5 or 29x9.5 (or 10.5 on the 29) is what I'm looking at getting, in BFG radial A/t's unless someone things the goodyears are better...

I'd keep your eye out on craigslist. It seems you can always find someone that just put new tires on before a lift and then go to bigger tires. Here's one as an example.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/447939688.html

I know you don't need the rims, but sell them or use them on one of your other projects.

Far as the what is better, BFG or Goodyear, I think both are good tires for long wear and both perform good to which they were designed. If I had to choose and they were the exact same price, I'd go with the BFG's. Just my .02.

:cheers:

my brother had the high-tec muds, they were a good tire, couldn't tell they were retreads, and he had them on his DD for 2 years.

Still had good tread when he sold them.

How's the compound? I always imagined them to be extra soft and I know that back in the days, they'd chunk. Any of these things left?

I do like soft tires :thumbsup:

his didn't chunk, he wheeled them at uwharrie, and a couple other places in NC.

I was impressed with the quality, and the wifes XJ might get a pair of those.

Just to mix it up a bit to show how much the variables matter, I absolutely HATED the 31" BFG AT KAs that were under my Dakota. The rubber seemed to be way too hard and provided little traction in slippery conditions on pavement. :mad: Loved the older generation BFGs that used to be under my MJ though.

I like my Goodyear Wrangler GSA tires. I have them on 16" rims, and measure ~29.5".

I loved the GSA 30x9.5x15s on my TJ. Had 70k plus when I took them off and still could have gone another 5-8k. Sold them for $135 with rims so as far as I know they are still on the road. jamminz.gif