what are good tires?

MTR HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!! Absolute crap in the snow/sleet/slush mix. The only thing an MTR is great on is rocks, everything else you can find much better tires for.

Really? Mine are siped like mad, and I can walk through icy conditions with them that leave every other tire going sideways (at least off-road tire).

Maybe siping is the difference, but here without them siped..... Bad news in the winter here.

I have to agree with Pete about the BFG though. The set I had seemed like a VERY hard compound. Great for tread life, but they really didn't seem to get much grip when cold. Reminded me of BadYear workhorse commerical tires. Damn they last like steel that compound flexes and grips like steel.

so general consensus is bfg A/T over good year?

I'm thinking of just grabbing a new set so I don't have to worry about failure...and grabbign a 5th at the same time. I found a tire rack, and since I have 8 canyons I can get a spare fullsize

30x9.5 or 29x9.5 (or 10.5 on the 29) is what I'm looking at getting, in BFG radial A/t's unless someone things the goodyears are better...

I'd keep your eye out on craigslist. It seems you can always find someone that just put new tires on before a lift and then go to bigger tires. Here's one as an example.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/447939688.html

I know you don't need the rims, but sell them or use them on one of your other projects.

Far as the what is better, BFG or Goodyear, I think both are good tires for long wear and both perform good to which they were designed. If I had to choose and they were the exact same price, I'd go with the BFG's. Just my .02.

:cheers:

Pat,

Those look like a pretty good deal, I would probably work out a trade for the rims. I like BFG's in the snow and they wear great. I have a brand new 30" GSA you could use for a spare.