Sign in to follow this  
ghetdjc320

Dana 44 swap candidates (rodeo/passport axles)

@Pete M Has asked me to post this here for reference. I wrote a thread several years back on Jeep Forum regarding the Dana 44 axles from Isuzu Rodeos and Honda Passports. I picked up several of these axles as well as a new JK Dana 44 and a few Ford 8.8’s. I was building and selling these axles at the time and there was a lot of confusion regarding these axles. Most think of the Dana 44’s that were in XJs and TJs which were not the strongest iterations of this axle. The JK debuted a Dana 44 HD with stronger internals, axle tubes and brakes. Although I don’t have one of these axles in my MJ I ran them for several years in my YJ with a stroker and 35’s. Took it to Moab and anywhere ese I could wheel. These axles are extremely stout for their size. Several other run them on Jeep forum now and use them easily with 37’s with zero mods and zero problems. These are a great alternative to the 8.8 for many reasons which can be saved for future discussion. Anyways here is the information I wrote on JF: 

I have been doing a lot of research on the Dana 44 from the rodeos/passports. They seem to be a good swap candidate for CJ's and wranglers. The 4wd models mostly came with factory disks but the 2wd models still have Dana 44's but typically use drum brakes. There are two different models of this axle available depending on the year. Here are some of the specs below:
UPDATE: The bolt pattern can be changed to a 5 on 4.5 by a reputable machine shop but the hub size of the axle shaft/rotor center bore is 3.75" so there is not much room to drill this pattern. The next issue would be the center bore of your wheels fitting. 93-95 Rodeo/Passport Dana 44 93-94 only had dana 44 with the v6 95.5 may have a different axle 58" WMS to WMS 4.10, 4.30 & ??? Available (all use thick cut gear sets with 3.73 and down carriers) 12.3" Disk brakes standard on all 4x4's Leaf sprung SUA No shock mounts welded to axle Standard d44 pinion yoke can be used 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern (not safe to redrill due to hub size) 3" .25 axle tubes that do not appear to neck down at all.Set10 Bearings used on axle shafts 96-97 Passport/Rodeo Dana 44 60.5 WMS Perfect YJ/TJ Swap No 4.10 gears available in these two years 4.30 for 6Cyl and 4.56 for most 2wd 4cyl applications (Rare) All 4.30 Ratio rears had Disk Brakes. Only the 4.56 came with drums 2.75 Axle Tubes that neck up to 3.25 just before the brake backing plates to accommodate the bearings Set10 Bearing All use Standard size Dana 44 gears that are thick cut on a 3.73 and down carrier 30 Spline Axle shafts 98+ Passport/Rodeo Dana 44 63" WMS Coil Sprung Available in 4.10, 4.30 & 4.56 (Rare) Uses JK style HD Dana 44 R&P 3.73 and numerically lower carrier for all gear ratios Thick cut Ring and oversized pinion8.9" Ring Gear Dana 60 Yoke fits on stock pinion JK Wheel bearings and seals are the same part# as rodeo/passport and fit 6 on 5.5 pattern

Will try to pull pics from my research in a bit. Please feel free to reach out for any question regarding this swap or more axle details. 

Thanks!

Do you think TJ Rubicon shafts would fit (in order to make this 5 on 4.5)? 

5 hours ago, benjy_26 said:

Do you think TJ Rubicon shafts would fit (in order to make this 5 on 4.5)? 

That’s a good question but I’d think not. The axle bearings and axle flange offset would all likely be off.