Dana 44 swap candidates (rodeo/passport axles)

the ujoints will accommodate the offset pinion (side-to-side angles) in the same manner they accommodate the up/down angles.  :L:  just make sure the ujoints are brand new.  used joints don't like changes in their operating angles. 

Why do you want to narrow the axle so badly? Comanches are wide in the rear, so having a wider axle will let the rear tire fill out the wheel well some. It should also make the truck more stable. 

My main concern is the offset since moving engine trans isn't going to happen.

Shortening one side is much more doable than trying to make other side longer hence my leaning toward shorter wms to wms

It is windy and below freezing so not going outside to take measurements so did some trigonometry on hypothetical driveshaft lengths.

If the offset is 2" and the DS is 25" long that gives an offset angle of 4.59*. If OS is 2" but DS is 36" long then angle is down to 3.189.. Both cases are under 5* and I'm fairly sure LOL my DS isn't only 25" long. 

PS I did find couple of shafts cheap so technically could add to one side or delete from other but waiting to hear from DS builder if up to 2" of OS isn't an issue.

I ran a 97. When I did my research, I had 95,97 and 98 axles all on hand. The 96-97 are wider than the 93-95 models. 97 literally had the perches in the exact location for my YJ application which is the same as MJ iirc. I'd run the 98+ on an MJ. I'm running the KJ 8.25 now and the width is a very nice match. More bracketry work though for the later axles. 

I am not sure on what year my Isuzu axle is. I remember it being the later Gen. Also, it is the Waggy axle I will be shortening. If that was asked to me. My Waggy is also a passenger side drop. I forget who's axle arch kit I used. It had to be modified for the passenger side drop. 

On 3/21/2024 at 2:42 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

I ran a 97. When I did my research, I had 95,97 and 98 axles all on hand. The 96-97 are wider than the 93-95 models. 97 literally had the perches in the exact location for my YJ application which is the same as MJ iirc. I'd run the 98+ on an MJ. I'm running the KJ 8.25 now and the width is a very nice match. More bracketry work though for the later axles. 

On 3/22/2024 at 7:22 AM, 75sv1 said:

I am not sure on what year my Isuzu axle is. I remember it being the later Gen.

Thanks .. yes the 96-97 is nice in it's width, equal shafts, having leaf perches, and it does have the thick(vette) D44 gears .. I went with having to remove a ton of coil spring related brackets, needing to add perches, offset pinion, unequal shafts, and wider wms to wms to get the D226 center and big tubes. Having a 8.9" ring gear and the beefy pinion shaft seemed worth the extra needed work. 

Thanks again for all feedback.

D226-Brackets-Removed.jpeg

Edited by Lars-S
Added photo to show brackets need to remove