today was awesome! went back and scored more stuff!

Pete M

but likely a whole lot of both.  :laugh:    So it's like the coldest day of the year here in Georgia (only 23* at 10am) but I got an email from a semi-local selfserve junkyard that they are having a half-off day today of all days.  guess I'm going back to strip the rest of that MJ...  :nuts: 

3muyws.jpg

23* isn't bad if you're used to the cold.  But I imagine being in GA it rarely gets even close to that so  you're not used to it.

Wearing layers and keeping a couple of those chemical hand warmers in your pockets and shoes makes a huge difference.  Best of luck getting what you need.

I'm from michigan, but I've been down here for much of this particular winter so now my body shakes even if I don't feel like I'm cold.  :dunno:  It's super weird.  But I kept my dewalt batteries inside last night and I've got faith in my impact gun's ability to make quick work of things. :D   also it's like an hour away so I'm hoping that glorious GA sun will get things above freezing by the time I get there.  But then all the steel bits on the Jeep will still be 23*...  :sad2:    dang physics!  :laugh:

I'm curious if the yard will be packed or empty. 

I need to get to the 'yard and pull another steering knuckle for the Focus, but I don't NEED it that bad enough to go until it warms up around here, LOL.  It was 19 this morning....but supposed to soar up to a high of 40 today.  Newp.

My MIL called last night, mentioned that FIL backed his van into the corner of the house a couple days ago and cracked the rear lens assembly.  She wanted me to check the 'yards for a replacement (and probably drive up there 6 hours to swap it for them too :laugh:).  If you do go and see a decent rear passenger side lamp/lens assembly for a 2014 Grand Caravan......grab it for me so I don't have to go looking for one.  I'll make it worth your while:beerchug:

I am one of the weird people who actually like the cold. Long underwear and Carhartt bibs and 23 it's perfectly nice weather to work in. I have a cousin who used to own a tree service, I would only help him in the winter beacuse the summer is just to hot. 

well, the MJ was already gone. :(   at least I was able to bring home the bed last week.  :L: 

But not to worry, a CRD Liberty showed up in its place! :D   after 5 grueling hours of work, I successfully pulled the engine/trans/t-case/harness/front-diff/front shafts/skid-plates/and more out of the Jeep still all attached to the cradle for......... a mere 300 bucks. :banana:  now all I have to do is drive all the way back tomorrow with a trailer so I can actually bring it home.  :doh: 

keep in mind, I fully expect the engine to be toast (that's how they all seem to die), but I made out like a bandit for sure. :D   even got some 5x5 adapters and another set of tow hooks.  can't have too many tow hooks. :laugh:

I'll get pics tomorrow once I officially have it in my possession. :L: 

today I rented a trail and headed to the yard.  got the Liberty stuff all loaded up and then asked around about the missing MJ.  turns out it was still in the back lot area.  the boss man had the guys haul it out for me and even gave me half-off whatever I wanted. :D  got the AX-15, 231, crossmember, front shaft, rear glass and then ran out of time. :(  Still, I was ecstatic to save what I could from the truck.  :banana:  (I grabbed the bed from it last week)

when I got home I backed right up to my 88 MJ, ran a strap from it to the drivetrain in the trailer and pulled the trailer out from underneath of it, plopping the KJ unit right where I wanted it to be.   easy-peasy. :D   (this plan was helped by the foresight to drop a piece of plywood in the trailer to provide a easy slide surface to scoot over the trailer's floor)

all in all, a good 2 days of efforts.  now for some pizza and a beer. 

20200123_123433.jpg

the plot thickens!  I found a receipt for an alignment from last summer that includes the owner and mileage (233k).  It has a phone number included so I might send out a text to Steve asking about how the Jeep met its demise.  :dunno:

just had a conversation with the previous owner who said that on its final trip he thinks it blew the head gasket and overheated and he limped it home. But he didn't look any more into it, just called the junkyard and wanted to be done with it. So I'm still not sure what happened, but he didn't talk about horrifying metallic noises so I'm going to call that a... "win"?  :dunno: 

went back to get the KJ interior harness and cluster and ended up finding a near perfect 88 XJ Laredo!   so I brought home a complete chrome header, doors, radio, pass seat, and more.  :D 

I've been spoiled by half-off day.  today was not nearly as cost effective. :( 

7 minutes ago, Minuit said:

:beerchug:

the radio appears to be a AR-7650 (non tapedeck) but with "Jeep" in place of the AMC logo.  they made an adapter for it (and used a ton of electrical tape. :crazy: )  part number is: 8956001574

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

the radio appears to be a AR-7650 (non tapedeck) but with "Jeep" in place of the AMC logo.  they made an adapter for it (and used a ton of electrical tape. :crazy: )  part number is: 8956001574

Hmm. Korean made? If not, that's a good score, hacked harness or not.

So far, I haven't seen one of the "Jeep" marked AMC radios made by Mitsubishi. If you've found one, that's news to me. I'm also used to those having the 13-pin plug from the factory, so any wiring hackery may be original.