Diesel MJ

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/phoenix-comanche-jeep/7036901588.html

00c0c_7Nbh1gWdhet_600x450.jpg

01212_jYBfhCfixf4_600x450.jpg
1986 Jeep Comanche turbo diesel. 2wd, long bed, Manual transmission. Very rare factory diesel. Has factory a/c. Can be driven home. Too many new parts to list here! Completely rust free Arizona vehicle. Needs interior work, minor body work+paint. 

3 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Holy schnikes!! That's literally right up the road from me and I have never ever seen that truck once!

So when are you buying it?

A diesel XJ or MJ is on my list one day. Gotta be the right one at the right time though.

6 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

If its factory it would be the 2.1L Turbo. I would love to have the diesel just for gas mileage and uniqueness but parts for the engine are hard to come by. Worse than MJ body parts.

I've heard that apparently that engine was common in RVs and you can get parts for it from most RV places.  Not sure how true this is but that's what I've heard.

8 hours ago, Minuit said:

So when are you buying it?

A diesel XJ or MJ is on my list one day. Gotta be the right one at the right time though.

Would love to. Kinda hard to have a second vehicle while still living at home. I’m sure my father would approve but I digress. 

4 hours ago, Dzimm said:

I've heard that apparently that engine was common in RVs and you can get parts for it from most RV places.  Not sure how true this is but that's what I've heard.

I’ve seen some stuff about winnebagos using Renix. Nothin about the diesels. 

4 hours ago, Dzimm said:

The Winnebago LeSharo used this engine. I heard somewhere that it had a bigger turbo. Not a terribly common vehicle in its own right, and according to Wikipedia it was only used for a few years.

The Renault Diesel is a very fragile engine!  Cylinder liners crack, heads crack.  I have seen both on the engines that came with my 86 Comanche Diesel. That is why I went with a VW TDI engine conversion.  The Renault Diesel has very close to Zero support in North America.

Also the torque curve of the Renault is very much like a gas engine. The transmission is the weak AX-5.

Not trying to discourage anyone. But being very realistic.  It took me many year to find my Comanche Diesel, then it was stolen and recovered.

Consider it a big money pit!  I am over 10k into mine and still have paint, interior, a/c, at least still to go.  Frankly I would be better off with a new pick up at 40+k.

Just wanted to share my experience as one who's been there, done that.

Those of you who wish can follow my Comanche TDI Diesel project at the bottom of page 1 under the "Hard CoreTech" section.  Lots of pics and technical details.

I am owner of 1986 Comanche diesel for sale in Phoenix. It has been extensively gone through , engine removed and gone through. trans is fresh, new clutch/flywheel new steering box, new a/c compressor, pwr steering pump. Repaired exhaust manifold, stress re-leaved and ceramic coated inside and out, new turbo. Wiring harness was removed and gone through. Fresh adjustable Koni shock up front, new brakes. Spent last five years working on this Comanche. Needs interior and paint.

So, where else are you going to find one of these Arizona rust free Comanche diesels for sale. I am guessing it is the only one in Arizona.  

Not nocking your car. Sounds like you have put a lot of work and money into 

As I said, I looked for a genuine Diesel factory Comanche for years.  Found mine on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

Did you do all your own work on the Diesel?  Do you have all the special tools?  Are you a professional mechanic?

Last, why get rid of it at this point?

Thanks,. John Jackson

P.S.  can you please send me more pictures of inside and outside of truck.  I am in San Diego

18 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Holy schnikes!! That's literally right up the road from me and I have never ever seen that truck once!

I think it would make a nice brother to little red. Just think of hunting those parts! The hunt is the fun part. 

14 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

I think it would make a nice brother to little red. Just think of hunting those parts! The hunt is the fun part. 

Trust me. It is very very tempting and only being allowed to have one car right now sucks. Unless other members of my family would let me store it. But the hunt for those parts would be very fun. I haven't looked into the diesel parts portion of the catalogue yet.

it is oft' easier to ask forgiveness than permission. :D   But I gotta say, if you don't want it in your life, do NOT go see it.  the dang things are like puppies. :grinyes:  next thing you know it'll be following you home.  :comanche:

On 12/24/2019 at 5:54 AM, Minuit said:

The Winnebago LeSharo used this engine. I heard somewhere that it had a bigger turbo. Not a terribly common vehicle in its own right, and according to Wikipedia it was only used for a few years.

2 years only in the MJ, 86&87. 3 years in the XJ, 85, 86,& 87.

85 hp and about 135 lb/ft torque ( from my memory)  12 lbs max boost. indirect fuel injection.  EPA mpg for the 2wd XJ was 28/31. Should be about the same for the MJ.

Frankly,it will take a long, long time to save any $$ with the Diesel.  I could get 24+ mpg with the old 4.0 Auto 1991 on the highway.

My TDI Comanche can be turned for more low end torque that the 4.0.  is The clutch is the weak spot.  170+ hp and 325 lb/ft torque at the wheels. Dialed it beak to 285 lb/ft and 162 hp.  25 psi boost by 1500 rpm.  Split the factory intercooler. Plan to replace it with a new welded aluminum intercooler.

Anyone interested in a factory Diesel Comanche should look very hard at this truck

On 12/24/2019 at 1:28 PM, azdiesel said:

I am owner of 1986 Comanche diesel for sale in Phoenix. It has been extensively gone through , engine removed and gone through. trans is fresh, new clutch/flywheel new steering box, new a/c compressor, pwr steering pump. Repaired exhaust manifold, stress re-leaved and ceramic coated inside and out, new turbo. Wiring harness was removed and gone through. Fresh adjustable Koni shock up front, new brakes. Spent last five years working on this Comanche. Needs interior and paint.

So, where else are you going to find one of these Arizona rust free Comanche diesels for sale. I am guessing it is the only one in Arizona.  

7 hours ago, johnj92131 said:

Azdiesel,

Please see my P.M and my responses to your CraigslisT AD.

Thanks for your reply.

JJ

This way he will get a notification about it. 

Had a long phone call with the owner of this Jeep.  I am seriously impressed by the work he has put into the truck.  Said he could get the whole interior redone in Arizona for under $400.  That is a really great price. Engine has only 13 or so miles on it.  A/C lines  need to be hooked up and the all newly powder coated air cleaner parts need to be put back on..

Reason for selling it I can totally understand.  I am 71 and sepent 4 days in hospital till Christmas Day,  Then took a fall on 12/28 at a restaurant walking out of the bathroom.. Knocked out for a while, paramedics transported me to hospital.  Kept me for 8 hours just to watch becasuse i was just put on blood thinners.  Fortunately, all is well wit me for now.

Seller had a motorcycle crash and a good recovery only to get hit in a crosswalk a bit later.  His recovery has been a slow process, but I think he is dowing well now.  He is similar to my age.  And it seems we both should unwind our projets as we get older.

I urge any of you who may have an interest in this truck to take a very hard look at it.  His price is VERY reasonable for all the work that has gone into this truck.  So please don't try to screw him over on the price.  I  will buy the truck at full price, just to spite you!

My Grandson is a factory trained Jeep mechanic, so I am sorely tempted to have him finish up the truck, but his mom, my daughter may have me committed to a mental institution for a while If I buy another car project.  (Hope i am joking, but  who knows).

Also, I think the truck has Koni shocks on the front.  If you don't know what Koni shocks are you need to do serious Google research.  They're true World Class performance shocks. Gives me a lot of confidence in his work quality. Up

I have had one set on my old VW Passat TDI and a new set on my 67 Corvair.  They are Top of the line shocks and you can get your old ones rebuilt.

He has even fabricated several special tools to rebuild the Renault Diesel.

Hate to sound like a Shill, but I really am impressed.

Regards,

John Jackson