November 2019-Pirate_Staz's 86

89 MJ

NOVEMBER 2019

Pirate_Staz's 86 Comanche "Graham Cracker"

Congratulations, pal! This has been a fun build to follow!

2273753_MJotMNov2.jpg.a198f9a4b5450af76bfd90aea57d6044.jpg819456318_MJotMNov.jpg.c6f1b80f61ca87502015581f9260fb20.jpg

Build Thread:

YEAR/MODEL ● 1986 Comanche X 4wd Longbed

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE ● 1996 XJ 4.0L HO 6cyl swap

DRIVETRAIN ● AX15 (5-speed) Manual Transmission and NP231J T-case ('96 XJ swap)

COOLING ● Stock '96 XJ cooling setup with a newer electric fan and fan clutch.

ELECTRICAL/IGNITION ● 1996 XJ harness (I need to re-do this soon)

SUSPENSION/STEERING ● Lifted about 4.5 inches using pro-comp shocks/coils. Added a leaf in the rear but it didn't match the front still so I kept the add-a-leaf for arch and removed the bottom flat max-load spring and that did the trick. 1996 XJ steering column/box and steering wheel

INTERIOR ● Original style, but not original interior. The OG was blue colored and had buckets. Currently its tan/black and has a bench seat.

BRAKES ● Nothin special here, just more 1996 XJ parts

LIGHTING ● @eaglescout526 will be handing over some Hella 550 lights for me to use soon but currently just stock headlights. I'm also looking at some truck-lite 5x7 LED headlights for future upgrades.

EXTERIOR ● Repainted tan/beige as its a desert truck done by Maaco, its the highest end package so here's to hoping it lasts a few years before the clear coat starts to fade.The lower parts of the MJ are coated with bedliner, as well as most of the undercarriage as well.

WHEELS/TIRES ● Rims: American Racing Matte Black Baja's 15x7" #1725765B.

Tires: Pathfinder All-Terrain 31x10.50R15LT

MISCELLANEOUS ● The Axles (Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear) are out of the same 1996 XJ my engine/powertrain is from and the rear has a lunchbox locker. The XJ in question was a 2-door that rolled and ruined the body but all the internals were still good so they were re-used in place of the 4cyl my MJ had previously.

Remember That One Time?... Tell Us Your Best MJ Story ● Honestly the day I got my Graham Cracker was enough for me to remember it forever. I had an MJ previously around age 16 or 17 that I loved, it was a 2-wheel drive one wheel peeler but id take it out with my buddies in the desert and wed just romp around and have a blast. Unfortunately I couldn't afford the gas on it as I drove too much and I ended up selling it for a stupid Honda Accord that blew up on me after a month of use. My Grandma (thank goodness for grandmas) had to bail me out and I drove an '02 Tacoma around on her dime for a few years, but every day Id  be thinking about and missing my old Dusty Duchess. Finally I had paid my Grandma off and saved up enough money that I sold the perfectly fine (had just hit 100k) Tacoma and bought the MJ I have now. Some people hate coming out every morning and finding something new they need to fix on their vehicles but I missed the feeling so much and now appreciate these vehicles more than I ever have. I made myself a promise that no matter what comes my way I'm never selling my MJ again because I remember how much I regretted and missed my first one. So anyway thats my story on how Graham Cracker came into my hands and why I love Comanches so much!

CC is Awesome!... Why Do You Think So? ● This place is great, ive met so many new people (both irl and online) through it that not only know more than I do, but have sent me parts that are otherwise impossible to find or helped me out on some tricky stuff. Its well moderated and everyone is really nice so id say its a perfect little MJ community. 

1768575886_MJotMNOv5.jpg.a9c63f17061fcc3b78bfca43ad61d246.jpg675392482_MJotM4.jpg.86b6ab24ee9abbc531bd51f05830a650.jpg560031177_MJotMNov3.jpg.4f781c956f29a96d1c3ac89cb9332e7a.jpg

Interesting fact about his truck. It has a 94 drive train but no apparent modification to the firewall. Almost like the PO knew exactly what to do. But failed to add a fuel filter. It is a clean install by 86 swap standards. 

(Pete there’s a hidden one here. Don’t know how to undo that.)

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Interesting fact about his truck. It has a 94 drive train but no apparent modification to the firewall. Almost like the PO knew exactly what to do. But failed to add a fuel filter. It is a clean install by 86 swap standards. 

(Pete there’s a hidden one here. Don’t know how to undo that.)

96 but close enough haha

• 2 weeks later...