your least favorite mods

I get the feeling this will likely quickly morph to a thread about other peoples' rigs, but I figured I'd start out with one on my own truck... my custom filter intake.  holy crap, does the whistling never end!?  At the exact throttle opening that maintains speed on the freeway it makes a strong whistle.  very strong.  I hate it.  Also the K+N filter sucks.  Also the engine is just sucking hot engine compartment air.  Also the hood crushed the original filter a bit.  Just an overall bad mod and I intend to convert to a filter in the cowl. 

114152053.jpg

You don’t like the whistling and plan to move it into the cowl? :doh:

I’m going to put the intake I made for my old wheeling rig in this category. 

1082A096-7D80-4AC1-BF20-26CCDAC04327.jpeg.6fb2ab73691c4b3491481f0aaab75a7c.jpeg

These things whistle through the dash vents being they share the same intake space as the blower box. They’re terrible! Granted they look great and keep a ton of clutter out of the engine bay. Otherwise these are super annoying. 

Second on my my list are ugly taillight mods that have zero flow with the rest of the MJ’s body lines. 

Come to think of it, my trucks don't have many mods, and the ones they do have are very much worth it, but the record for "shortest time between changing something and putting it back to stock" has to be the '96+ valve cover on my '91. Had no luck getting the gasket to line up so it leaked oil, and then I decided I liked the original look better anyway, so I painted the original cover silver and stuck it back on.

IMG_20190831_125213.jpg.85613daa8c9b50f3ef98cd609cdc8d32.jpg

Honorable mention goes to the junkyard 97+ auxiliary fan that lasted a whole 24 hours in my truck before seizing up and subsequently being thrown in the trash with extreme prejudice.

i kinda wondered if anyone would put the "IAT sensor relocate" mod on this tread.  I think I remember HornBrod (RIP, Brother) not having a good experience with it. 

I had done this relocate on a HO Cherokee years ago, and toyed with the idea of doing it for my Renix MJ.  

The whistling noise in my experience with these is caused by the idle air control passages. Not really anything you can do other than a snorkle, or reinstalling the OEM airbox designed to muffle the noise. 

I'm not sure I have a least fav mod on my truck. I havent really had any issues that have really bothered me with all Ive done to it over the years. Though my home made fan shroud for my electric WJ cooling fan is falling apart. Ill need to remake the whole setup soon before it damages something.  

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

is it the same whistling?  mine is the whistle created by the throttle body.  I've got no desire to make the thing even worse. :( 

It’s terrible. As stated above, I’ve only had a no whistle situation with stock air boxes. Moving the air cleaner into the cowl puts it through a megaphone as you’re always hearing it through the dash vents. What’s the use anyhow?... is it worth the effort to move the air inlet that move higher?

56 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I've seen Jeeps nose dive into water that was deeper than expected.  I imagine it does a good job at combating that.  :dunno:

Personally I LOVE my cowl intake just for the sound. When I step on the gas it sounds mean and whenever it's idling you can hear a hissing noise coming from the cowl if you're outside the truck. No whistling for me.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:23 PM, 89 MJ said:

I am not a fan of the Auto Custom Carpets vinyl flooring for MJs. It is not premolded, not the same texture as factory. and it is not cut even close to factory.

Heard that. I just installed ACC vinyl floor two weeks ago took better part of a day is just barely molded, I followed video on their website starting in rear of cab and working forward after getting it under heater box had a huge bulge on left side of trans hump next to gas pedal that trapped right foot between hump and brake plus looked like crap! ended up folding it over on itself and running a course sheet metal screw through the folded over piece to hold down its behind gas so you can't see it the end job doesn't look bad till you tilt bench seat back forward its bad behind there. will deal with that at later date. IF I was to do it again I would start at front and work rearward not cutting anything till it was close to being in place