Engine restore

today finally got a new filter for the MJ and new oil is in (after 2 and a half years).

i took it for a ride and when i got back i noticed that theres more blow by than the last time i checked, no smoke in it, clear blowby, no oil in it

now... found out that some engine restorer can lower the blowby to acceptable levels for while, ha anyone used it? i know it´ll be a temporary fix, i just want to drive my MJ a few more miles before tearing it apart for rebuild...

1 minute ago, omega_rugal said:

today finally got a new filter for the MJ and new oil is in (after 2 and a half years).

i took it for a ride and when i got back i noticed that theres more blow by than the last time i checked, no smoke in it, clear blowby, no oil in it

now... found out that some engine restorer can lower the blowby to acceptable levels for while, ha anyone used it? i know it´ll be a temporary fix, i just want to drive my MJ a few more miles before tearing it apart for rebuild...

I've seen nothing but good things about that Restore product.  I actually picked up a can to try on my XJ before tearing it down.  It's more for raising compression than blow by but could help.

1 hour ago, omega_rugal said:

haven´t tested the compression but excesive blow by usually means leaks, if i can improve both, why not? besides from what i have read from now on i must use the restore with every oil change or else the benefits go away...

Yeah that's what it sounds like.  Definitely not a permanent fix.

1 hour ago, DirtyComanche said:

If it runs good I'd leave it alone.

that´s the other thing... seems to be running good, burns some rubber if asked to, and pulled a friends WJ without problmes not long ago... but the blow-by is just too much, you can inflate a tire with it...

On 8/16/2019 at 10:02 PM, Dzimm said:

It's more for raising compression than blow by but could help.

If you raise compression you are reducing blow-by.

Blow-by is the result of loss of compression. 

Gasses that would otherwise be compressed are passing by the rings..........blowing-by the rings, building high pressure within the block, that pressure has to escape. 

On 8/17/2019 at 7:05 AM, Jeep Driver said:

If you raise compression you are reducing blow-by.

Blow-by is the result of loss of compression. 

Gasses that would otherwise be compressed are passing by the rings..........blowing-by the rings, building high pressure within the block, that pressure has to escape. 

I was hoping someone mentioned this. This is exactly right.

well a can of the blue stuff is in, and the results are:

idle is smoother, acceleration and power seems  a little higher and the blow by, the main reason i used this product... feels like 50% less... i can hold my finger on the valve easily now

the idle and the blow by did improve so i give it a thumbs up

1 hour ago, omega_rugal said:

well a can of the blue stuff is in, and the results are:

idle is smoother, acceleration and power seems  a little higher and the blow by, the main reason i used this product... feels like 50% less... i can hold my finger on the valve easily now

the idle and the blow by did improve so i give it a thumbs up

How long has it been in there?  Did you drive it much or was it fairly immediate results?

I am a fan of BG products MOA recommended to me by a european car shop @5yrs ago. My car was consuming oil but not smoking unless under WOP acceleration it would give a puff of black smoke.  After about 3 oil changes (@12k miles) with MOA added every time, the oil consumption went down considerably and the dark smoke was less common under WOP. A light "tick" at idle also went away and never returned. I put a can in with every oil change on all 3 of my vehicles now.  

• 2 weeks later...