Buying a Comanche

I’ve been looking for a Comanche for a while in CA. Trying to find one that isn’t outrageously expensive or thrashed beyond recognition is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Is there anyone who can help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where in Cali are you located? What specifically are you looking for? 4.0,2.5, 4x4, year, daily driver, rock crawler, weekend driver? There’s many for sale. You may have to travel to find what your looking for! What’s your budget?

2 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Be more diligent- 

This one is gone now, straight, clean, left-coast legal.

Was a hell of a deal for someone. 

Yup, patience and consistent daily searches and the ability to act fast. And by daily searches, I mean morning and evening at a minimum. Are you aware of Autotempest.com or Searchtempest.com? These search across most auto sales sites and/or across Craigslist. Facebook marketplace has become as loaded with listings as Craigslist so if you are on FB that's a good place too.  

yup, if you want one that is both nice and cheap, then you need to be super diligent and maybe a bit lucky. :L:  It's just a fact that prices have gone up.  (this can actually be seen as a good thing as more trucks and parts are being saved that would otherwise have been crushed, but it sucks when you're trying to get in to the hobby. :()

Cali is one of the best places to be, as trucks that are very solid are far more plentiful than in the midwest and so don't carry as much value.  

You can certainly check CC.com's classifieds on a regular basis.   

Many of us cross-post what we discover for the benefit of our little community and new people like you. 

If you're searching for the proverbial "barn find", have ca$h on hand and be ready to pull the trigger.  It won't be there tomorrow. 

Don't be discouraged though ... there's always another truck.

10 hours ago, Dammerung said:

I’ve been looking for a Comanche for a while in CA. Trying to find one that isn’t outrageously expensive or thrashed beyond recognition is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Is there anyone who can help?

NorCal or SoCal?  What's your budget and how far are you willing to drive? 

Where in Cali are you located? What specifically are you looking for? 4.0,2.5, 4x4, year, daily driver, rock crawler, weekend driver? There’s many for sale. You may have to travel to find what your looking for! What’s your budget?

I’m looking for a daily driver, with a 4.0 4x4 hopefully. I’m located in central California. I have a budget of around 3k

I’ve seen those. The first one was sold and the owner didn’t take down the ad. The second is out of my price range and I’m just not in the market for a tall, lifted truck. I want one that’s a shortbed, 2 or 4 wheel drive it doesn’t matter. I love the look of the stock trucks.

Here's a Searchtempest search using Fresno as the base point and 750 mile radius. There's a 91 HO in there with a homemade camper on it AND a small boat all for $7k....... for the rest of you following this thread.  :peep:

https://www.searchtempest.com/search?search_string=jeep comanche&category=8&subcat=sss&cityselect=zip&location=93728&maxDist=750&Region=combined

I looked for a year or so to find a black 4.0 5 speed 4X4. Now I still look at Craigslist, eBay, Google, etc every day looking for it's twin in 2WD. Someday I will find it. The hunt is all part of it! Good luck and keep looking.

I looked for a year or so to find a black 4.0 5 speed 4X4. Now I still look at Craigslist, eBay, Google, etc every day looking for it's twin in 2WD. Someday I will find it. The hunt is all part of it! Good luck and keep looking.

I’ve been trying! I’m hoping to find a shortbed with a 4.0 and auto.

Not sure if you’re on all things Jeep Comanche on fb but this came up on the page like ten minutes ago.
F300C891-9CC2-4C4E-A252-2471A3913F5B.png.ae83901122beb5edec513388619aec2d.png

Yeah, I’ve seen that one. He said the wiring in the front is kinda bad which is why the blinker doesn’t work.

If that wasn't half way across the country I would definitely buy it. 

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

90%.......well.........maybe 99.99999% of all MJs have wiring issues. 

Be prepared no matter what you buy. 

Agreed! Most 30 year old vehicles do.