Buying a Comanche

On 7/27/2019 at 4:00 PM, Jeep Driver said:

90%.......well.........maybe 99.99999% of all MJs have wiring issues. 

Be prepared no matter what you buy. 

SO I HAVE LEARNED.  Its been an educational experience for me.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:49 PM, Dammerung said:

How hard would it be to fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just depends, hard to say really, could be any number or combination of things.
In my opinion, it mostly takes research and patience when it comes to electrical issues.
When I bought my MJ and I had ZERO knowledge about electrical systems.  Its only because of working on mine that I have learned what little I know. ( I still don`t know enough to fix my current woes lo but I digress).  I`d more concerned with frame and body condition personally.

Mine was bad front sockets, a wire someone added shorted to ground, and two blown bulbs in the rear. After a rear I found why the interior lights don't work. It was a mouse nest and they ate the harness for the interior lights so it was shorted together. 30 year old truck problems I guess.

Once in a blue moon they do come up cheap. I was out on a walk with my daughter and we happened to walk down a little road I never bothered to go down before. In the back of a neighbors yard there was a beautiful 1988 comanche eliminator. It was parked in the back corner with a bunch of car parts in the bed. The owner happened to be outside so I asked him if he would ever consider selling. He said he would for $1,200. I told him I would be back in a couple of months for it. Well 2 months later I went back with $500 cash and a harbor freight generator and he took the trade. Plus he they in 3 instrument clusters and all are the full setup with tachometer. He said that the young man who owned it almost 15 years ago had passed and it was parked in his grandmother's garage the whole time. Its actually really a sad story, but it's in good hands now I guess. 

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes the old school way of looking like going out for a drive, or walk in my case, to hunt for your prize is a good option. If you see a house with a bunch of old jeeps out front, try knocking and asking if they know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy if they have a comanche.

Both XJ's I have had in the past and my MJ had blinker issues that needed attention. I wouldn't let minor wiring be a deterent at all.

Pics of the comanche I traded for it.

20190711_195436.jpg

20190711_195442.jpg

Once in a blue moon they do come up cheap. I was out on a walk with my daughter and we happened to walk down a little road I never bothered to go down before. In the back of a neighbors yard there was a beautiful 1988 comanche eliminator. It was parked in the back corner with a bunch of car parts in the bed. The owner happened to be outside so I asked him if he would ever consider selling. He said he would for $1,200. I told him I would be back in a couple of months for it. Well 2 months later I went back with $500 cash and a harbor freight generator and he took the trade. Plus he they in 3 instrument clusters and all are the full setup with tachometer. He said that the young man who owned it almost 15 years ago had passed and it was parked in his grandmother's garage the whole time. Its actually really a sad story, but it's in good hands now I guess. 
   The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes the old school way of looking like going out for a drive, or walk in my case, to hunt for your prize is a good option. If you see a house with a bunch of old jeeps out front, try knocking and asking if they know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy if they have a comanche.
   Both XJ's I have had in the past and my MJ had blinker issues that needed attention. I wouldn't let minor wiring be a deterent at all.
    Pics of the comanche I traded for it.

20190711_195436.jpg.267e2ee3d2bdf51ca3c6077c5a8b9099.jpg
20190711_195442.jpg.33591bb2808fc01b18f505084d47e45e.jpg

That’s pretty awesome. I do some drives around Fresno, but older Jeeps aren’t really popular. It’s usually new Rubicons or Cherokees. Even the occasional Gladiator. Finding classic cars like 1st gen mustangs and Chevelles are a lot easier than finding Comanches, I can tell you that.

6 hours ago, Dammerung said:

That’s pretty awesome. I do some drives around Fresno, but older Jeeps aren’t really popular. It’s usually new Rubicons or Cherokees. Even the occasional Gladiator. Finding classic cars like 1st gen mustangs and Chevelles are a lot easier than finding Comanches, I can tell you that.

That’s comparing apples to oranges. Of course there are more early Mustangs and Chevelles-they made more of them. You just need to keep your eye out and and be a little lucky. 

Good of luck on your search!