Birthday, vacation and painting

mjeff87

My birthday was this week (yesterday), and I decided to take the week off for a staycation to get a bunch of crap done around the house.  The big project was to finally paint our split staircase and upstairs hallway.  June will officially be 10 years since we built/bought the house and we (mostly I, lol) have painted everything except these last two spots.  The hallway isn't so hard other than the fact it has six doorways that have to be cut in :brickwall: but the stairwell is a giant PITA....it's a split staircase with 2 landings and 18 foot ceilings and walls (hence the reason it hasn't been painted yet).  We got a quote from a pro painter of $1000 to paint it and the hall, but my cheap side wasn't gonna let that happen.  I'm now 3 days and about 2 cases of beer into it, but only because I decided to paint all the trim work first before the walks and ceilings.  I've got everything done but cutting in the tops of the walls to the ceiling which I'll do tomorrow along with finally hanging a new light to replace the POS builder grade fixture that came with the house.  I bought it like 5 years ago and it's been sitting in the box in the garage ever since:laugh:

I came up with an ingenious, if not completely redneck way to reach the upper walls and ceiling.  I built a platform out of an old pallet and some scrap lumber/OSB I had to level out the landings on the staircase so I could plant a ladder on them safely, plus grabbed a 2x10 and a couple 2x4's to make a janky scaffolding.  Combined that with every ladder I own and am able to somewhat safely reach everything.  I do have my cellphone on my hip in case it all goes to hell and I end up falling and breaking my neck:roflmao:

So far, I'm into this project for $127, which includes paint and the lumber from Lowes.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Took one look at your ladder setup, and suddenly remembered why I have only lived in single story ranch style houses.  Heights don't bother me.  But feeling unsafe at ANY height is a big problem.  I'm glad that it was you and not me up there.

If I had been on that rig I would have been squinched so tight you couldn’t have driven a 10 penny nail up my anal orifice with a 20 lb. sledge hammer.  I imagine the two cases of beer had a relaxing effect.

I also got the new pendulum light hung, what a colossal PITA that was.  The builders just started jamming screws into the fixture cover plate everywhere until something grabbed.  I took out 9 screws until it came loose.  And of course the new light plate was half the size and didn't cover up the booger holes, so I had to fill them all in, sand and paint them.  All on the top step of my rickety contraption.

I also etched/frosted the top pane of the window (fixed, so I couldn't take it out and do it on the bench:mad:).  The morning sun blows thru that pane right into our dining room while we're trying to eat breakfast.  Problem finally solved.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There's a couple little "oopsies" I made, but no ones really going to see them, except for one.  I'll fix it tomorrow.

I figured out I could never be a pro painter, my OCD is just too much.  I kept finding little flaws and fixing them to the point of craziness.  I just had to finally stop and put the brushes down (except for that one thing I have to fix tomorrow :laugh:)