Zero top end power

Alright here is my issue. I have no power in the Jeep. I mean I punch it and nothing happens? No stuttering, rpm changes. Has a little bit of acceleration when going from first to second gear but not enough to pull out in traffic. I have changed the MAP sensor and the leaking gas cap but no change. It is an 1990 XJ with 200k, auto with np242, 33 inch tires, 4:56 gears. I know a lot of that would effect the performance but nothing happens at wot?? Oh yeah - Eats gas and in power mode. Could it be exhaust? TPS? I am at a loss.

10 hours ago, Eagle said:

Clogged catalytic converter?

This is my guess as well.  Had the same symptoms in my 98 XJ.  It would fall on it's face quickly but have no other issues at all, just wayyyyy down on power.  

Go underneath and bang on the cat and listen for rattling, if it rattles, you know it's your issue.  If it doesn't rattle, it's still probably the issue.

18 hours ago, Drahcir495 said:

Alright here is my issue. I have no power in the Jeep. I mean I punch it and nothing happens? No stuttering, rpm changes. Has a little bit of acceleration when going from first to second gear but not enough to pull out in traffic. I have changed the MAP sensor and the leaking gas cap but no change. It is an 1990 XJ with 200k, auto with np242, 33 inch tires, 4:56 gears. I know a lot of that would effect the performance but nothing happens at wot?? Oh yeah - Eats gas and in power mode. Could it be exhaust? TPS? I am at a loss.

Is it downshifting?

There's a few things to do just cuz. I don't think you're gonna find a silver bullet cure. 

Of my Tips, which ones have you completed? 

Thank you all for the feed back 

I have not checked the tps yet but will.

I hope it is a clogged catalytic converter because I am getting a complete new exhaust system this week. The muffler and catalytic converter are rusted, so could definitely be that!

i will check the O2 sensor, but I thought I changed it?? It has been sitting for three years and I can’t remember?

Ye, it is down shifting. I love your renix write up! I just started reading it and I am starting with the grounds. Even bought a  an upgrade kit to help out. 

Thank ahain everyone. I will keep you updated - Rich 

5 minutes ago, Drahcir495 said:

Thank you all for the feed back 

I have not checked the tps yet but will.

I hope it is a clogged catalytic converter because I am getting a complete new exhaust system this week. The muffler and catalytic converter are rusted, so could definitely be that!

i will check the O2 sensor, but I thought I changed it?? It has been sitting for three years and I can’t remember?

Ye, it is down shifting. I love your renix write up! I just started reading it and I am starting with the grounds. Even bought a  an upgrade kit to help out. 

Thank ahain everyone. I will keep you updated - Rich 

You state, assuming that I understand what you stated, it's sucking the gas, correct?

Yep, electrical connections and sitting for years.................worse thing you can do is let a truck/car sit for years without attention, condensation in the tank, corrosion, critters eating wires.......time kills more than miles do. 

If it's running rich.......O2 or MAP and tube to MAP...........and........well........everything else to consider. 

Yes, it is sucking gas bad. I can watch the gauge move. I am sorry to ohm but yes I had to replace the hose to the MAP sensor when I broke it lol. Not sure if it running rich or not. Forgot how to check? I will be changing all the sensors hopefully soon. Thanks

5 hours ago, Drahcir495 said:

In that case, go drill a 1/2" hole in the front of the cat, or a couple smaller ones.  See how it drives after that.  Gonna be loud but will tell you if that's your problem.

2 hours ago, Dzimm said:

In that case, go drill a 1/2" hole in the front of the cat, or a couple smaller ones.  See how it drives after that.  Gonna be loud but will tell you if that's your problem.

I REALLY need a new exhaust and it is loud. So I am sure I can wait a few days and find out either way. Thank you for the idea.