Bought myself something I have wanted awhile:

Sir Sam

I love plasma cutters.  I got to run a big twin table unit in a factory years ago.  The speed and precision just amazed me!  They let me nest the parts on the steel sheets, but they never taught me how to design the parts though. :(  That looks like a really nice toy, if you don't have to fight the programming too much.

Yup, I'm looking forward to playing with it and learning, lots of ideas, things to make. Its 2x2 so the size is a little limited, but fine for tons of stuff I can make and use.

2 hours ago, krustyballer16 said:

Let us know how well it works. Did you get any of the upgrade options?
What plasma are you gonna use?
Have you used fusion 360 before?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I bought their water table to go with it, and I got their 45A plasma cutter which they say can cut up to 1/2". My Air compressor is a little undersized for the max CFM the plasma calls for.

I have not used fusion 360, I do have ProE but have not used it for any CNC programming before, only design.

1 hour ago, amsuco said:

I love plasma cutters.  I got to run a big twin table unit in a factory years ago.  The speed and precision just amazed me!  They let me nest the parts on the steel sheets, but they never taught me how to design the parts though. :(  That looks like a really nice toy, if you don't have to fight the programming too much.

I'll have some learning to do, I've designed in CAD before but never got to generate the CNC program before.

• 1 month later...

Ok so the plasma cutter arrived over a month ago, the table/CNC arrived on the 8th of March, and the water table it supposed to be here tomorrow.

I got back from Korea Saturday night so today (Sunday) I got to cleaning up the garage some and got Britt to come help assemble the table.

We got the table setup minus slats/waterbed, and did a little test, jogged the machine around, set the Zero in the middle of the table, and then ran some code from a tutorial on how to make a bottle opener.

https://youtu.be/T5d6P3VEVXo

https://youtu.be/_v0a_kH-BU8

I am planning to build a shelf on the lower legs using some nutserts and angle iron to make the frame, and then putting the plasma cutter, extra air tank, and 5 gal bucket for drain valve to empty into on it, as well as cord hangers and such.

That way all the equipment to run it hangs out on it, and I can wheel it into the corner to minimize the footprint, and then pull it out and hook it up when I want to use it.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:50 PM, DIRT_NASTYY_ said:

I've been getting ads for these on my IG feed lately, stoked to see how well it works and what you make with it! 

For sure I will be making some videos to review it once I get a little more into it.

Water table arrived today, finally!

Got the table installed and the gantry adjusted for height, should be good to run material now!.

IMG_3378.JPG
IMG_3379.JPG

And as it turns out.....the water table is made from stainless, pretty thin stainless, but thats fine, keeps the cost down.

Pete, I don’t really have any plans for a big project. We have plans for plenty of wall art sort of stuff, decorations, etc. I can think up a bunch of small things I want to make for different projects. 

Its more that its a general tool to have aroubd to make something as I see fit. For example on the MJ Crd I have been thinking about running a NP242 cable shifter from a KJ, since my transfer case sits much further back than stock it was going to mean some weird linkage issues. With this I can make a bracket to bolt the shift handle to the floor. 

Or all all sorts of stuff. When I can bend sheet steel in a few directions it opens up possibilities. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I traced an image of a CJ7 grill, made a DXF, then modified it to add some key hangers.

I figured I would do a quick test and see how the sizes worked out by using a piece of paper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JuBX9LZTxw

IMG_4255.JPG

After a fair bit of trying to figure out amperage and cut speed I cut a couple tonight, the first one had a small section where it didn't cut right so I dropped the speed and I had another section instead where it didn't cut all the way through, so next one I might up the amperage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKIkiVBSOXI

IMG_4257.JPG
IMG_4258.JPG
IMG_4259.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I got a touchscreen setup that I am going to mount to the table somewhere to hookup and show the cut progress instead of my laptop nearby.

I got the touchscreen for free from work awhile back and have it sitting around for maybe 4-5 years now.

I have a USB3 to DVI graphics adapter that was spare, then to DVI to VGA to the display. Then I used an old USB to RS232/DB9 adapter to drive the serial touchscreen interface. Then I installed the touchscreen drivers. And amazingly all that stuff worked right out of the box without headache and hassle of troubleshooting.

I also have an industrial/mil spec keyboard I will use with this, and the table controller is driven off USB so I am going to get one long USB3 cable to goto the table, then have the table controller, USB to monitor adapter, USB to Rs232 adapter, and the keyboard all plugged in at the table, so all I have to do is run the one cable from my laptop over and I can drive the whole thing.

IMG_4322.JPG
IMG_4323.JPG

My wifes brother is also in town right now so we burned out a bottle opener for him, got to play with the settings a bit to find something that would cut about right.

IMG_4324.JPG

I think the bottle openers are too much trouble for how much I think people will pay for one, better for gifts really.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, MJXJjeepguy said:

Nice! Could u make for XJ/MJ front clip for key hanger?

Yup its on my list to make. I'll work my way through the various grills, 96 and 97 XJ, ZJ, SJ, FC, etc etc I really want to have a complete lineup so there is something for everyone.

5 minutes ago, Sir Sam said:

Yup its on my list to make. I'll work my way through the various grills, 96 and 97 XJ, ZJ, SJ, FC, etc etc I really want to have a complete lineup so there is something for everyone.

That will be awesome, i definitely would interested in XJ/MJ grille

9 hours ago, Sir Sam said:

I'll work my way through the various grills, 96 and 97 XJ, ZJ, SJ, FC, etc etc I really want to have a complete lineup so there is something for everyone.

I'm not sure how much demand there will be for the more obscure models.  But if you're considering doing a FC, I'll put in a request for the DJ as well!

2 hours ago, amsuco said:

I'm not sure how much demand there will be for the more obscure models.  But if you're considering doing a FC, I'll put in a request for the DJ as well!

I expect demand to be low for some, but its more of a principle sort of thing to offer all them, and accurately.

Good news for you, I drew the DJ today!

IMG_4397.JPG

IMG_4398.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

I'm not quite done with the YJ as of now.