Factory Rear End

If it's perfectly round and looks like it could hide a basketball, it's an uncommon Model 20. (I still want one for my '87)

BTW, the Dana 35 is also known as Model 15 in AMC circles. The difference is M15 came with 2 piece axle shafts like the CJ Model 20s.

If it's perfectly round and looks like it could hide a basketball, it's an uncommon Model 20. (I still want one for my '87)

BTW, the Dana 35 is also known as Model 15 in AMC circles. The difference is M15 came with 2 piece axle shafts like the CJ Model 20s.

model 20 was only an option in 86.

If your asking this question then we can be 99.99% sure you have a Dana model 35 axle. We know this because if it had a D44 axle your buddy would have talked you out if already.

All kidding aside you can find the D44's under cherokees made between 87-90 with towing packages based on what I have seen in the salvage yards around here most of towing packages have the 44. just walk behind the trucks and look for the receiver hitch then look for the slanted diff cover with the large drain plug.

Being a 1990, and 2WD, I am also betting on D35 as well.

It could have either the steel hex plug OR the rubber fill plug.

CW

likewise, it could be c clip or non.

Correct, but I'll bet its a "C" Clip D35.

1989/90 was the break for the non "C" Clip so it could be either, but most 90's got the NEW "C" Clip axle.

CW

only one place i know of...but this will cause some debate, best to search rocky road

No debate from me. If I lift another MJ I'll buy another kit from them. It works. The kit doesn't have control arms so you chose your own course there. Also it is designed for a D35 but it will work on a 44 with some grinding.

CW

1989/90 was the break for the non "C" Clip so it could be either, but most 90's got the NEW "C" Clip axle.

CW

hard to say.

My factory 87 axle was non, and the 90 axle I got was non.

you never know what parts AMC was using that week.

CW

CW

hard to say.

My factory 87 axle was non, and the 90 axle I got was non.

you never know what parts AMC was using that week.

Agreed...as some one has said.... "Truer words have not been spoken!!" ;)

CW

• 3 months later...
uncommon Model 20. (I still want one for my '87)

I know where one is...

A friend of mine's younger brother has one in his '86 MJ. Problem is that its a LWB and 2.8L. Both attributes that I would love to stay away from. He had if for sale a few years ago, don't know if it still is for sale or not. Truck was in nice shape too, no rust when I saw it last...

So is it likely the Factory axle under my 88 is a Dana 35???

It is likely a Dana 35, but it is possible that it's a Dana 44. They don't look at all alike. Look at the pictures posted in this thread, then go look at your differential. If the cover is oval, it's a D35. If the cover is trapezoidal, it's a D44.