Windshield

According to AAA glass for the XJ/ MJ is not longer made by Mopar or any of the aftermarket glass vendors. I've done some digging myself and haven't found anything yet. Will dig deeper tomorrow. Anyone on CC have their windshield replaced with new glass recently? Hard to believe there is nothing out there for such a long running production vehicle (XJ).

I replaced mine recently. I ordered a windshield for a 99XJ. I know my 96 XJ has the same setup.The place we buy glass from didn't show one available for the Comanche.You lose the metal molding and get the newer rubber trim. It's works out nice, no where for the crud to gather and start rust.You do need a new mirror is there only down fall. Mine needed replaced anyway it had seen better days.IMG_20181208_161042748_HDR.jpg.985e3ee5534e0c09aa08a8cf12a96b09.jpg

This is the new windshield installed.

IMG_20181207_203837752.jpg.ec42af4a965687940f03f3bf8d248c0a.jpg

This is the old windshield with the metal molding. Someone painted them black at some time. I like the rubber molding better personally.

Thanks for the replies. I called a local glass shop not through AAA/ Safelite...and windshield ARE available as I thought.

Should also note for any who shop through Safelite-- know their pricing is 2x $$$. They quoted me $537 Mopar glass installed and the local shop quoted $245. Both installed. Crazy... 

I used a generic trim tool. It's all came off in good shape. I did break some of the plastic clips though.15475983637995362198492947587589.jpg.ee98d9e3531d50e93ab9c23fdf3a2cc9.jpg

This is the tool I used. There clips are 2 good ones and 2 broke ones. From what I can tell my truck has lived most of its life in Ohio or Iowa. Behind the lower molding of mine was full of junk. Thankfully no real rust just two spots starting.

15475981914064036565087034296866.jpg

On 1/15/2019 at 2:50 PM, Gjeep said:

Thanks for the replies. I called a local glass shop not through AAA/ Safelite...and windshield ARE available as I thought.

Should also note for any who shop through Safelite-- know their pricing is 2x $$$. They quoted me $537 Mopar glass installed and the local shop quoted $245. Both installed. Crazy... 

This is what it looks like installed. This is a 99 XJ windshield w/rubber seal attached. I had it installed several years ago and it was less than $200.

100_0574.jpg

The seal comes attached to the windshield from the mfg. They installed to windshield with the seal attached. They laid down a good size bead of sealant around the frame then laid the windshield in place. The sealant drys very quickly. Does not leak and water doesn't get behind the seal. The mirror mount comes with the windshield and does not fit the 89 mirror.

My old metal trim was starting to rust and water was getting behind it. This solved that problem. I had a 99 XJ at that time and I was looking at it's windshield and thought why not, same size.