A College Students V8 Comanche

Well my nos taillights came in today and they are really shiny! I’d like to find a matching passengers one someday but who knows if that will ever happen. 

I’m finally about to bite the bullet and put efi on my truck. I just need to choose between Holley sniper and fitech. I also need to decide wether to run an in-line or in tank fuel pump. I’m leaning towards reman Holley sniper efi with an in tank pump using the factory hardlines. 

my truck also got a new grey steering wheel that looks pretty much brand new. I like it much better than the black hard plastic wheel that came with my junkyard column 

64A5239B-7141-457E-961E-EEDEC5017BAD.jpeg

F68AEB7D-63ED-4E78-92F2-FD8E84EBEDDB.jpeg

The Holley isnt bad, just to be sure to use good connectors and don't run them near other wires as they pick up interference easily.

If you do run an out of tank pump I do recommend putting a sump style on opposed to the lines coming out near the top. 

1 minute ago, Awinski said:

The Holley isnt bad, just to be sure to use good connectors and don't run them near other wires as they pick up interference easily.

If you do run an out of tank pump I do recommend putting a sump style on opposed to the lines coming out near the top. 

Thank you for the advice, I currently have an out of tank pump with my carb sucking out of the factory lines and I’ve killed a pump already due to sucking uphill. That’s one of the reasons why I’m leaning towards an in tank pump. I’m really leaning towards Holley because I’ve heard some bad things about fitechs customer service and support 

• 2 weeks later...

I spent last week at home for spring break and found some more parts on a comanche that was way too clean for the junkyard. My dad also got my tailgate primed and it looks really nice  I raided the hose box at home and found enough high pressure and low pressure hose to use the factory hardlines and tie them all together for my efi swap that’s coming soon

56C1AC91-0C1B-4618-AF75-B2B998E0503E.jpeg

B66EB986-1A78-45C9-BE6E-16234303A04F.jpeg

Well I finally ordered Holley sniper efi for my truck so while the world is closed I plan to get than installed. I went with an in tank fuel pump and the reman sniper. This should make my truck much more drivable than it is right now and as soon as that’s finished I plan to paint it and work on the brake upgrades as well as adding air conditioning 

DBCEDDC3-4065-4F0B-A1B6-2F6025074DEA.jpeg

Well my truck made is 4 hours home with no real issues other than it running like garbage due to the carb really needing a rebuild. It also ran out of gas because we forgot that the return tube doesn’t go all the way to the bottom of the tank. I’ll be fixing all that this week with the efi and new fuel system. I am also planning to put my drop in bedliner in and we are going to start looking for paint 

Well I spent more money today on all the stuff I forgot:bananagun:

so far here is the parts list:

1. Reman Holley sniper efi

2. walbro gca-758 in tank fuel pump

3. Holley post pump fuel filter

4. Factory hardlines with new rubber hose (hopefully these will work otherwise I will have to make new ones with 3/8 hose)

5. Earls fuel pressure gauge and adapter

6. -6 to 5/16 fuel barb adapters X2

7. -6 union to install the pressure gauge

8. Weld in o2 sensor bung

9. New header and collector gaskets

I still need to get oil and a filter as well as plugs. It needs an oil change anyways and since it was running rich the plugs are fouled. Hopefully this is all I need. I’ll start installing it all tomorrow or thursday 

Well the sniper is on!

I got most of the wiring finished up yesterday and took out the old carb and fuel system. I need to take the fuel sending unit out today and install the new pump as well as run all the lines. I plan to put the o2 sensor in tomorrow afternoon. I am waiting on an wrenches to get here as well as a pipe plug socket set so I can tighten the an fittings at the throttle body and pull the pipe plug from the coolant jacket in the block so I can add the temp sensor

6FF23715-8232-4944-A5A2-BDACC82C59B5.jpeg

0907327C-E15B-44B1-96DD-344000E5C9C8.jpeg

F6F28D81-17E8-43C5-B1C6-7EB5CFFDBB97.jpeg

42CC5A91-3162-424B-9F24-553B394532EF.jpeg

5 minutes ago, 88mjsally said:

Thank you! Yea I really like that too and it will run much better when I’m all finished

I looking forward to hear what your think of it. Fuel injection is awesome but I love the old school look of a carburetor. When my poor old CJ gets to be the project at hand I would like to do something similar.

Just now, JMO413 said:

I looking forward to hear what your think of it. Fuel injection is awesome but I love the old school look of a carburetor. When my poor old CJ gets to be the project at hand I would like to do something similar.

I’ll post what I think about it for sure. I was between throttle body efi and just doing some sort of factory like efi. This was the simplest and kept the look I had so I’m glad I went this route so far

Well I got the fuel system mostly finished up as well as the bung welded in the exhaust pipe for the o2 sensor. I need to reflare one end of the factory hardline tomorrow so I can hook the high pressure side of the fuel system up. I had to take the trans crossmember out so I could drop the exhaust since it didn’t want to come apart. I also got the temp sender in today after the pipe plug sockets I needed came in. Hopefully tomorrow I can fire it up after I finish plumbing and wiring the fuel system, put the exhaust back in and a few other little things. I’ll take more pictures tomorrow too

EDAEF621-27CF-4A92-8CE1-47B7ADC020BB.jpeg

Well the efi is all finished so here’s some pictures of everything. It drives much better than it did beforehand for sure. I sadly broke my gas gauge sending unit when I put the pump in so I need to either order a new one or go try and grab a junkyard one from one of the junk trucks near my house that I’ve been pulling parts from. Other than that the install went pretty well with only a few issues

740D897A-3398-440D-9BDD-A2CD1C21CEB0.jpeg

CE9E8B55-77AE-44A8-9A35-BDB556F4B68F.jpeg

A8C5A268-9E7A-4EE0-8D3B-58247977D04C.jpeg

70E0C67F-5639-4727-866C-B53FF1D77C55.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Pete M said:

how's the mpgs?  :D 

just kidding!  no one driving a v8-swapped Jeep cares about that!  :laugh:   it's all about those smiles per mile.  :comanche:

Yea I haven’t even checked the mpg on it😂 it’s about 100 smiles per gallon so that’s what counts :banana:

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been driving the truck a good bit and recently had to fix a steering intermediate shaft issue. I swapped in a tilt column from an 87 a little while ago and the intermediate shaft I had was too short and all the ones I could find were too short. I ended up getting a 83-86 shaft that has two plastic pins that keep it from collapsing and drilling out those pins. I then made it the correct length and drilled and tapped the shaft for two set screws to hold it all together 

9D1C8499-66CB-4241-8168-159485051541.jpeg

2BCA995E-2B8E-4E4D-9304-6D35B4E9775F.jpeg

93963E03-F767-4C0E-AF6E-3CFB3B7BC076.jpeg

You may not want to use a set screw in there.  I believe the plastic pins are there to allow it to collapse in the event of a head on collision.  with out the plastic the steering shaft becomes a giant harpoon aimed right at the driver.  Might not be bad to use a really low grade bolt, but I am not an expert.....

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been a little while since I’ve done anything to my truck other than use it to haul things around. I pulled the bumper off yesterday to replace it with a new one and install the front skid plate I got. I also redid my lower radiator support with some tubing I found in our shop. I got the tow hooks on today and trimmed the air dam so they would fit but I need to get a few more of the nut clips that hold the bumper on before I can install it. The bumper is brand new and was $50 shipped to my door. The tow hooks came from a guy on Facebook and the skid cane from a 4wd shop in the upstate. It looks much better up there and I also am going to install a fan shroud and bigger fan this week after the truck got a little hot sitting in traffic

58540FB8-FA3B-4204-923E-520C66721ACC.jpeg

6533535C-5C25-4FA8-9AD4-E481DF953D1A.jpeg

4D23F083-3BDD-4070-9391-AB0A20549DA6.jpeg

F78EF8E9-712E-4EAB-B6F9-C3BA1C3D1E68.jpeg

2EDEE427-1F2E-4EEC-B169-F462E6BEFE38.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I got my new fan and shroud on today as well as the front bumper. Hopefully that will solve my minimal air flow across the radiator problem for good. The bumper also looks much better than my beat up original 

20CA6CE9-67DC-4DE8-A611-A71BAAF7D11F.jpeg

F17F685E-295B-4B6B-8391-60FBA2879402.jpeg

C3E5EBD5-08E5-4182-A554-82EFF8D71D85.jpeg

4BCA500D-7B76-41E7-AC7D-C62DE9852C77.jpeg

CBF750E2-F786-4A82-B086-8AB9463F5740.jpeg