Oh god. I’ve only had the crate for a week now and these parts are just soaked and caked in gunk. I don't know what the owner had happen to everything but dang. I spent thirty minutes pressure washing the crap of the trans. I think it is an AX4. Won’t shift into fifth so it could not have a fifth. Every other gear is fine.

AC bracketry and all the bolts and stuff took me a few days to soak and clean. Got fed up and pressure washed all those parts and hoses from the thirty years of crap. I swear my engine was not as gross as all these parts when I got Little Red. Now I just gotta look at the parts diagrams and figure out which bolt goes where. 

Scored a Renix CPS out of this. Cleaned it up and let it soaked in the mix I made with the other parts and installed it on a gamble and sure enough she fired right up. Awesome. Another original sensor. 

I still have to buy a good chunk of new stuff for the system. Probably will gamble on the original hoses. 

Here's what to expect to see;

clean parts to be restored. New parts to be acquired. And within a month or so should come the install of everything under the hood. 

Ill post a bunch of before and after pics of everything that I have chosen to be cleaned and restored. 

Came home to a nice surprise waiting for me. Was really skeptical at first when I bought these, buuuut I'll let y'all decide;

IMG_6468.JPG.0342ba205cd9dd7ee2ca89de032f6db3.JPG

Neat! Are they worth it?

IMG_6470.JPG.c5f7a52ee5103c4af0a188d35be65550.JPGIMG_6471.JPG.4a56305b1efc8b88131a9cec0d69489a.JPG

Yes, Yes they are! But this caught my attention though:

IMG_6467.JPG.0de73fab324f6383be6836a8bbdbb659.JPG

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING in the description did it say anywhere, Authentic MoPar restoration. No idea if they hand these stickers out or not.

But hey! Factory floor mats!

Alright, back to the regularly scheduled program....

Well I sure am moving right along now. Got windshield replaced and ask the man to keep the moldings off so I can restore them.

There's plenty of before pics so no need for one.

But here is their current stage:

IMG_6475.JPG.97ad78e468ebbbc7ff1e9cc44cc88f50.JPG Ready for paint! Using stripper on the old plasti-dip sucked. Stuff is hard to get off.

IMG_6474.JPG.642f011e6e13515f0b2efa7f17636857.JPG

As promised these are what I have chosen to restore and make new. Started sanding the alt bracket before I took the picture. Oops.

Once these are done, there is hell of a puzzle of bolts waiting for me. Time to consult a parts diagram!

I'd get those things nasty in nanoseconds, but I still kind of want them after seeing them :laugh:

If they could replicate the "Jeep" logo as it appears on the factory mats, it would be an instant buy for me.

7 hours ago, Pete M said:

those mats look so good I'd need another mat on top of them to protect them.  :grinyes:

I highly agree there.

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

I'd get those things nasty in nanoseconds, but I still kind of want them after seeing them :laugh:

If they could replicate the "Jeep" logo as it appears on the factory mats, it would be an instant buy for me.

I thought they are well worth what I paid. Granted I’m glad they are cut like the original mats so I’ll take it. Course I’m sure we all would love for the original mats to be produced again....and the windshield guy managed to get them covered in dirt after I installed them that day. 

Thanks guys! Really proud of how that one turned out.

IMG_6498.JPG.3fbc48c68b4da61dd9e7d350aa22ea4f.JPG

Everything is coming together. Snagged a few more pieces from that engine and restored them, all pieces are finished. The cooling system inside of that other motor is ridiculously clean but the radiator was the only thing to show signs of calcium build up. Still cleaning that damn thing.

Now I just need to go buy Jeepairs kit when I get more money. Maybe might take next weekend and tear out the dash and install everything on the inside.

I don't really quite know where to put this idea. It's a neat concept that I think would go really well with a black Comanche with gold pioneer stripes.

IMG_6500.JPG.0234e60138195441d73bf69d7a9e70c4.JPG

Similar to the silver stripes but the gold idea came from the one Comanche that jdog snagged this from.

• 2 weeks later...

NO one go buy the Jeepair kit. Highly disappointed in it. The only thing of value in said kit is the R134a fittings. But the high side nut came "ovaled". 

Anyways I am making some damn good headway. Removed the lower dash last night and got the dash pulled this morn.

But this looks surreal;

IMG_6570.JPG.9810ddb13f826e7aa22a8fc08ffee412.JPG

IMG_6571.JPG.1e5163da78fdf7e8adacbeb13a290f9c.JPG

Just gotta get back at it and do the engine bay.

Also made an interesting discovery. Under the old air box was a piece of the build sheet taped to it. Odd place to put that.:thinking:

My 2.5L AC-less brothers, expect a DIY on this. I will not include a full detail of dash removal as there is already a very popularly referenced link to a dash removal.

BF59F237-5554-43CF-959B-62527D48E4CB.jpeg.a514cfc39f6dd817c61d22f43add0a9e.jpeg

Getting there! Course I ran into fitment issues. Expected. But everything fits. Alt has been modified for fit and pulley alignment. Sadly the hood light has to come out. Damn. (This is false, I since relocated the hood light and it fits under the hood like it should. I thought it would be weird for AMC to have a hood light and not have AC)

Edited by eaglescout526

11 minutes ago, Dammerung said:

Hey eaglescout, I saw your tailgate edge cover. Where’d you get it?

You know, It came with Little red when I got her from my grandfather. It is an actual AMC part. But I don't think they sold well or enough of them. 

9 minutes ago, Red Mistress said:

What condenser did you use?

i see several styles in parts book.

A/C is mandatory & be worth the effort !

56002190. The factory installed condenser. It was available from vintage so I bought that one as the dealer condensers are not available. At least that I can't find.

Can't wait to have AC!! 

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

Thanks JMO, This project has been kicking my butt. I just really hope this abomination of a compressor and the dealer installed hoses will work.

It will all be worth it cruising in air conditioning! :comanche: