how do you carry things in the junkyards?

Pete M

I've made the switch to a backpack for my tools (the Jeep still holds the bulk as a basecamp and I carry in only what I think I'll need) and now I'm bringing in a big blue IKEA bag for collecting the goodies I find (after misplacing a couple items somewhere in the junkyard on this last trip).  just thought I'd share. :D   

(my bag isn't this nice but a guy can dream)

HLBP32-BK-Tools_3333e09c-2579-4008-9ec8-

it's big, it's blue, it's made from rip-resistant polymers!  

79087_PE202617_S5.JPG

oh, and the handcart for big items.  

Wesco-Hand-Cart--Loop-Handle---22275_xla

I use one or both of a large tool bag and tool back pack.  I also have a list of "specialty tools" (pullers, cheater bars, particular sockets, etc.) that I decide a head of time, as best I can, whether or not I'll need for what ever I'm after.   Some of the bigger items make it into my car and when in the yard I'll go back for them if they're needed.   I also take a magnetic tray for all of the screws, etc. that I take out.

The yard I go most often has wheel barrows which is a big help.   The last time I went I saw a guy with an axe.  First time I've seen that!

It depends what I'm shopping for.  If I'm just on a scouting mission I go in with a combo screwdriver, knife and a 10mm :laugh:

Once I know what I'm gonna need for extraction, I go back and get it.

The problem I have is 1000 other people coming up to me asking to borrow tools because they're too lazy to drag all their crap inside to do their work.  I don't mind lending out a tool to 2 to someone who needs them, but when that loan ends up taking a half hour because they're trying to take out an engine with just my crescent wrench, I've got a problem with that.  I only carry bare essentials anymore.

For reconnaissance runs I generally carry a small tool bag with a four-way screwdriver,  1/4” drive SAE socket set, 1/4” deep well metric sockets, 6” & 8” crescent wrenches, vise grips, channellocks, leatherman tool, knife, side cutters, 3/8” ratchet and 1/4”-3/8” torx bit set.

If I’m going for something specific and large I’ll take a large tool box with all the above, 1/2” drive SAE socket set, 1/2” metric sockets, ball peen hammer, chisel, short pry bars, SAE and metric Allen sets, any specific tools I think I may need for the item I’m after, and a hand cart.

I have gone in with a 18V sawzall, drill and impact as/when needed.

And, yes it is a PITA when people want to borrow tools, but I’ve been on the other side of that transaction at times.

16 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Throw my tools in a wheelbarrow. Figure out the rest as I go along. 

Seats are especially fun to deal with.

Could you imagine an axle? Without sliding off the wheelbarrow and on dirt 

GREAT full body workout for sure! 

I usually have 2 harbor freight tool bags to carry into a wheelbarrow at the lkq/upull it yards then I wheelbarrow them walking the yard...I'm usually grabbing the one that’s not filled with oil residue to not stain my bags/jeep

the last axle I bought still had tires and leafs on it so I fashioned a strap to it and pulled it mule-style up the long hill out of the yard.  that sucked but it was an MJ d44 so it was worth it. :D  

12 hours ago, Pete M said:

the last axle I bought still had tires and leafs on it so I fashioned a strap to it and pulled it mule-style up the long hill out of the yard.  that sucked but it was an MJ d44 so it was worth it. :D  

Doubly worth it if the leafs were still usable. :thumbsup: