'06 Liberty CRD (4.10 axles, skids and new coils installed!)

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I can't wait til I can tear into it and rebuild the suspension.  she needs a lift! :D 

How much lift will you be going for. Personally, I think a 3in lift would look good with 31s or 33s.

it'll be a 1.5" OME lift, but since it's drop almost 2" since new, it'll feel like a 3" lift :D   heck, at this point if I could wave a magic wand and get it back to stock I'd do it.  I'm growing tired of listening to the tires and flares doing battle when I turn into a steep driveway.  :roflmao: 

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

it'll be a 1.5" OME lift, but since it's drop almost 2" since new, it'll feel like a 3" lift :D   heck, at this point if I could wave a magic wand and get it back to stock I'd do it.  I'm growing tired of listening to the tires and flares doing battle when I turn into a steep driveway.  :roflmao: 

You mean that the tires are carefully massaging the flares.:laugh:

it's a real battle. :grinyes:  the rubber is wearing away at the plastic and the plastic is slicing off slivers of rubber.  it's at all four corners too.  I'm thinking of getting the fronts re-balanced before I head south again as the steering wheel has developed quite a shimmy at freeway speeds. :doh:

I guess it's all part of the sacrifices that must be made to run bigger tires on a Jeep with tiny wheelwells. :D  I'm just happy that I was able to get usable rubber with these rims so I can gain experience for later on when I shell out real money for tires. 

random guy just stopped by the house after spotting the CRD on the back of the Jeep and asked if I knew anyone that could work on them.  I gave him the number of the mechanic that sold me the parts.

oh, and also I bought a few spare parts. :D  as in, the entire contents of the engine bay of a CRD libby that overheated and ruined piston #2.  turbo, hoses, AC parts, head, block, wire harness, everything. :jammin:

20190510_163058.jpg

20190510_163003.jpg

20190510_163213.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Pete,

If you happen to run across a nice set of "Jeep" letters (chrome plated) on a KJ tailgate, would you mind trying to peel them off for me?  I only actually need the J and the p (mine are both peeling).  I'm not 100% sure, but I think the hood letters are the same ones too.

My local dealership has exactly one set left in their dead stock, but they are really proud of them.....like $58 proud.  I refuse to pay that.  I ordered a generic set off an Amazon seller for $8, but they are a different font:brickwall:  If I can't find a decent (cheap) replacement I might just de-badge the tailgate.....I'm a bit anal about stuff like that LOL.

Thanks

On 6/26/2019 at 9:08 PM, Pete M said:

got some more parts today :D 

this is what the Renegade frontend looks like.  always wanted that hood and today I got lucky.  :banana:

Lol I never knew that renegade had different frontend style than regular KJ, it sure look mean and cool. :smokin:

Only the later ones.  Early renegades (the ones that typically had the quad-light pod on the roof) had the regular hood.  I've been half-heartedly been looking for years now and suddenly found 2 on the same day in neighboring pullaparts. :eek: (though one of them had been in a rollover and so all the cool parts were ruined.)

so I noticed that the Renegade grille allowed for more air to hit the radiator.  And since I have an overheating issue on steep grades when the temps are high, I figured I'd get this installed before my trip through the appalachian mountains in the middle of summer pulling a trailer.  :grinyes:

I still have to repair the grille, paint, and install some sort of driving/fog lights, but it'll do ok for this particular trip. 

20190702_195925.jpg

20190702_195943.jpg

20190702_195932.jpg

well, I can't say that it didn't have any positive effect, but the extra grille opening hasn't made enough effect to keep the temperature needle from inching to the right (on long inclines, temps in the upper 80s, and at 70mph). :dunno: Oh well.  Totally worth the effort though sicne I love the look. :D  Hopefully later this week I'll find the time to repair the grille and paint it black.  I'll leave the hood painting for later.

then you can imagine how lucky I feel :D    I'd been hunting pullaparts for years now.  I can't imagine they sold all that many.  :dunno:

minor update:  I epoxied the grille back together as best I could and painted it black.  I'll get a pic once I can (too bright outside for the black to show up in the image).

• 3 weeks later...