Ax15 swap crossmember

3 minutes ago, Blue88Comanche said:

I’m fairly certain the ax15 and the aw4 share the same cross member. The rubber mount and the mounting plate will be different. You may could find a used one somewhere for relatively cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you see the link to the adapter?

19 hours ago, Blue88Comanche said:

I’m fairly certain the ax15 and the aw4 share the same cross member. The rubber mount and the mounting plate will be different. You may could find a used one somewhere for relatively cheap.

No, the AX15 cross-member dips down about a inch lower than the AW4 cross-member. I had both and used an AX15 cross-member to lower the t-case for awhile to see if I could get rid on some driveline vibes I had. Didn't work.

49 minutes ago, Swampy said:

Well I don't have an aw4. I have an ax4 manual trans. 

I found another link to the part. Maybe this one works. It says for yj wranglers but can it work in the mj's

Advanced Adapters ax15/nv3550 adapter

I was responding to Blue88Comanche's post. Did you see that? 

But here's a little factoid that may help you out:  According to the 87-90 factory parts manual, the transmission mounts for these vehicles with the 4.0 engine is as follows:

52002328, CROSSMEMBER, Type 1, Peugot 1987-89
52003929, CROSSMEMBER, Type 2, Aisin AX15 1989-90

But for the 2.5 it's:

52002328, CROSSMEMBER, Transmission Support

I read this as the 87-90 2.5 MJ vehicles use the same crossmember, p/n 52002328, regardless of transmission. BUT, the cushion mounts for 2WD vs. 4WD have different part numbers for 2WD vs. 4WD. If the parts manual is correct, you can use your existing crossmember with the AX15 but you will have to purchase the 4WD cushion since you are converting to 4WD, p/n 52001180.

Also, the YJ crossmember and mount are nothing like the XJ/MJ, so I don't think your adapter bracket you found is going to work.

I was responding to Blue88Comanche's post. Did you see that? 

But here's a little factoid that may help you out:  According to the 87-90 factory parts manual, the transmission mounts for these vehicles with the 4.0 engine is as follows:

52002328, CROSSMEMBER, Type 1, Peugot 1987-89
52003929, CROSSMEMBER, Type 2, Aisin AX15 1989-90

But for the 2.5 it's:
52002328, CROSSMEMBER, Transmission Support

I read this as the 87-90 2.5 MJ vehicles use the same crossmember, p/n 52002328, regardless of transmission. BUT, the cushion mounts for 2WD vs. 4WD have different part numbers for 2WD vs. 4WD. If the parts manual is correct, you can use your existing crossmember with the AX15 but you will have to purchase the 4WD cushion since you are converting to 4WD, p/n 52001180.

Also, the YJ crossmember and mount are nothing like the XJ/MJ, so I don't think your adapter bracket you found is going to work.

I was wrong about the factory part interchange, I got the transmissions mixed up, But if he is swapping to the ax-15 won’t he need crossmember 52003929? It is shaped different than his current 52002328 crossmember. Like you said it has 1” dip in the middle.

On the side note I remember now I am using an aftermarket crossmember for the aw4 with a built in 1” drop... so that’s probably where my faulty over stressed brain got the idea....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, that AA kit won't fix your problem.  Or I don't think it will.  The YJ/TJ mount is located differently than the XJ, and the assembly is not interchangeable (or not intended to be).  I actually was going to try using a TJ mount for my AX-15, but it looked like the crossmember wasn't going to hit any of the correct holes on the uniframe, and it was probably going to put the driveline way too high in the tunnel.

As far as the crossmembers go, they are all the same EXCEPT the AX-15 version (and maybe the NV3550, I've never seen one though).  The AX-15 version has a 1"~ dropped section in the middle of it for more clearance.  You don't actually need the AX-15 crossmember when swapping in an AX-15, but there's a but on that.  With my 88 I used an AW4 crossmember (or whatever, the non-AX-15 one), partially intentionally because you can tuck the driveline up that extra inch without huge issues, it may rub some things and you might have to clearance the shifter hole some.  However, I also converted an AW4 mounting plate into an AX-15 one (welding required), since I didn't feel like finding one and was in a hurry, and I may have built it a little out of spec compared with an actual one.  It wound up moving the driveline even higher (maybe another half inch), and I've had to trim the shifter hole and the actual shift tower, plus there's some other rubbing...

Just track down the right parts from a junkyard and it will all go together without hassle.  Don't be like me.

21 hours ago, Swampy said:

Hey guys

I am gather parts to swap in an ax15 behind my 2.5 in my mj but I came to this little hickup known as the trans mount/crossmember. I found this adapter from Advanced Adapter :brows: and it is specifically for swapping in an ax15 or nv3550. I wanted to know if i'll work in our mj's

Advanced Adapter Crossmember Mount

Swampy,

I had a similar issue going from an AX5 to AX15.  Check out this thread and see the diagram Don posted:

Item # 25 was what I needed that was different from the AX5 to the AX15 transmission.  Bet you have the same problem.

Like Don says, the AX4/5 and AW4 crossmembers are the same, the AX15 is different.  The center dips @1" to properly locate the driveline.  You can use the other xmember with an AX15 but you'll have clearance issues, your exhaust might not be happy, and your TC linkage will definitely not line up.  I learned this all the hard way.  You could probably use the other xmember with a drop kit/spacers if you really wanted to, or were unable to locate an AX15 one.

Also, you'll need the specific AX15 TC shifter bracket (the one that bolts to the tunnel) as well as the shorter AX15 TC shift rod for the TC shifter assembly to fit and work correctly, assuming you're staying all stock parts.  The little "heim" ball that the shift pivot rod slips thru is positioned at the rear of the bracket for the AX15, but is centered for all of the other trannys.

I have a 97 ax15 from an xj 4.0l. I wanted to use that adapter if It would make mounting it to the existing cross member easier. I don't mind beating back the transmission tunnel and I wasnt worried about the transfercase linkage because I was going to swap it to the cable shif setup

Well crap, I going to be doing the ax5 to ax15 swap, I’ve been buying up pieces for years, one of the parts I got was a bracket to make the ax5 crossmember work with the ax-15. Is that going to make the clearance close to hitting the transmission tunnel in a XJ?

Are the heavy duty crossmembers worth anything or are they all wrong for the ax-15 swap any way? (This is the part # I found: Rugged Ridge 12035.6. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Swampy said:

I have a 97 ax15 from an xj 4.0l. I wanted to use that adapter if It would make mounting it to the existing cross member easier. I don't mind beating back the transmission tunnel and I wasnt worried about the transfercase linkage because I was going to swap it to the cable shif setup

Then buy and try the YJ adapter. Let us know how it works. It's doubtful anybody here has any experience with it; it's for a YJ. And Especially since you have a 2.5 and the crossmembers are different between the 4.0s and 2.5s in the later years.

I think that the AX-15 cross mount  from '92?? is different than the auto mount. At least from say a later '98. I was swapping between an '88 Renix BA10/5 mount and one I got with a AX-15 from I think a '92. It had the internal slave cylinder. I'll have to see if the latter '01 cross member are different between the auto and the NV3550, or if it is just a mount part difference.

Edit: Did some searching. Found a listing or parts manual for the '01 Cherokee. The '01 have the NV3550. From what I could see, there is a difference between both the mount and the cross member. THe manual number listed were 52058 883AB for the mount and 52003 929AD for the cross member.

If you need the AX15 plate that bolts to the trans and then to the mount and the mount to the crossmember the PN is 52003927.

There's one on ebay, a little steep https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X52003927.TRS0&_nkw=52003927&_sacat=0

You can also see the step down in the AX15 crossmember where the rubber mount attaches..

AX15_52003927.jpg.e52472f8cddd779a3d777e0f819f3621.jpg

54 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

If you need the AX15 plate that bolts to the trans and then to the mount and the mount to the crossmember the PN is 52003927.

AX15_52003927.jpg.e52472f8cddd779a3d777e0f819f3621.jpg

I think we found our winner winner chicken dinner

1 minute ago, Jeep Driver said:

Just get the mount, plate, xmember from the donor of the AX15.

Once it's in front of you it should be intuitive.

I order this ax15 online. It would have been better from a donor vehicle

On 10/26/2017 at 9:11 AM, Swampy said:

Hey guys

I am gather parts to swap in an ax15 behind my 2.5 in my mj but I came to this little hickup known as the trans mount/crossmember. I found this adapter from Advanced Adapter :brows: and it is specifically for swapping in an ax15 or nv3550. I wanted to know if i'll work in our mj's

Advanced Adapter Crossmember Mount

I’ll double check my stash I think I haven’t thrown out a spare ax15 crossmember I had laying around...

Make sure the ax15 has the transmission bracket from the trans to the crossmember 

This one 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-AX15-Ax-15-Transmission-Mount-Bracket-Plate-6-Cyl-4-0-Manual-/263253742093?nav=SEARCH

also, is your ax15 external or internal slave?