So my 89 Comanche (with a complete 95 XJ drivetrain) has been having overheating and shifting issues , after several failed attempts to fix it I have been looking for a good drivetrain to replace my current one....

So I located this 93 Cherokee with 49k miles at Daveys Jeeps .

I paid $1350 for it because it's wrecked in the left front.....

It's a clean body besides the LF damage....

The interior is nice and clean .....

So by now you're probably asking why this is in the project vehicle section ....

The more I looked at the Cherokee the less I wanted to take it apart . My initial plans was to use the drivetrain and sell the body/ interior to recoupe some of the money , but I may drive it as a replacement for my rusted 99 Cherokee or flip it .

I had the majority of parts to fix the damage , so I started taking the front end off along with the front axle which was pretty bent .

Wow, 49K miles. MINTY! Nice find! Should bring a nice profit if flipped.

That XJ, with the paint and body fixed would bring $6-7K here in Colorado.

Thanks Troy ! The major downfall is the salvage title , it really isn't bad damage at all and I have the mopar fender , bumper and several other parts I acquired from the dealership ( which has more than enough paid for itself ) . It's basically untouched besides the large Yosemite Sam mud flaps and a gimmick corrosion protector .

It's clean (not perfect) but clean for 25 years old ....

Salvage title would probably only knock 1k off the price here. Especially if you included the pre fix pictures so the buyer knew why it was totaled. I just picked up a '96 Classic with 189k for $1,500. I would have killed for this '93 at $1,350.

It's clean (not perfect) but clean for 25 years old ....

That's a gross understatement. Those springs and axle look like it's only taken a couple of short drives around the original dealership's parking lot. In the summer. Did you clean and paint everything under there?   :yes:

Don : I lightly cleaned up the leaf springs and painted everything to prevent it from rusting . If you stick your finger in the frame holes it's clean and no rust present . The exhaust (muffler and tailpipe) were rusty and replaced those with a mopar muffler and walker tailpipe . Still has the original brake lines and the are in good shape ( with the exception of the LF brake line damaged in the accident ) .

That Cherokee is a keeper! At the very least for a year or two.

Use your 99 rust bucket for the power train.

That was one of my thoughts , orsell the rusted Cherokee and use that money towards a drivetrain. I've had the Cherokee since 36k miles and kept up on the maintenance, so I've got some decisions to make ....

That Cherokee is a keeper! At the very least for a year or two.

Use your 99 rust bucket for the power train.

That was one of my thoughts , orsell the rusted Cherokee and use that money towards a drivetrain. I've had the Cherokee since 36k miles and kept up on the maintenance, so I've got some decisions to make ....

So, tell me where you are going to get a power train you know that much about how it was maintained and all the issues in it's history?   Then you have the "possibility" of a full interior swap also to the 97+.  Yes lots of work and not everbody's cup of tea.  In the end, how many dollars is the rusty 99 going to get you?

If I were going to put a used engine in my truck, I would want one like your 99 with a full history all most as much as a new factory long block.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So my moms husband called me today and wants me to do some side work for him . He has a 1964 tbird that he's restoring for a couple doctors and he needs the drivetrain removed so the body can be sent out for media blasting . While the body is gone he wants to dress and freshen the motor along with upgrading the brake system for better stopping power .

So in payment / trade he agreed to do the bodywork and paint for free , which is good trade in my eyes . If I spray automotive paint anymore ( with a respirator) it's difficult to breathe for several days .

And a big thanks to Neohic ( Ben ) for coming through with some factory grey floor mats in great shape , they will look great in the Cherokee ....

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Haven't touched this for a long time , I have been collecting parts though . I've been going back and forth to keep stock height / tires or a small lift and 31s , I have some OME 930 coils and OME cr033rb leafs and corresponding OME shocks /steering stabilizer / nice 31s and was thinking of putting gambler wheels on too . I'm just debating  if I should keep it stock like it is ( but fix it of course) or lift it , just wondering if I will make it less appealing to both parties if I do sell it when I'm done 

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

1 hour ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

Haven't touched this for a long time , I have been collecting parts though . I've been going back and forth to keep stock height / tires or a small lift and 31s , I have some OME 930 coils and OME cr033rb leafs and corresponding OME shocks /steering stabilizer / nice 31s and was thinking of putting gambler wheels on too . I'm just debating  if I should keep it stock like it is ( but fix it of course) or lift it , just wondering if I will make it less appealing to both parties if I do sell it when I'm done 

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

You had me confused with the MJ pic while talking about an XJ.  :laugh:

2 hours ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

Also went to the junkyard and found another 2 door with a nice original rust /dent free fender and hood , and hey they're green too 

IMG_0541.JPG

I've never seen an XJ or an MJ with the fender off and the flare still on!   :laugh:   The local yards here jack up the cars that way too.   It makes me nervous every time I even LOOK under one of them.  

10 hours ago, PCO6 said:

I've never seen an XJ or an MJ with the fender off and the flare still on!   :laugh:    

me either.  I stared at the image for a whole bunch of seconds trying to figure out what was... different...  

I pulled a hitch off a Jimmy at Pnp once and at one point noticed that one their welded wheel piles of a jack stand was only sitting under the sidewall of the spare tire. Needless to say I hastily crawled out from underneath and was a lot more delicate with the removal after that. 

Despite yours being wrecked, it's still looking in much better shape than my completely original '92. Mine has lived a life of gravel roads and it shows. Currently debating whether mine is worth saving or not. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...