Blood and sweat going into an MJ

beaterjeep

Well, let's hear some stories about carnage done on yourself while working on your MJ. Mine just happened today as I was bolting one of my flares up. The ratchet slipped off the nut and I sliced my right thumb to hell. I have about a half inch long by half inch wide cut at about a 10 to 15 degree angle that goes almost to the bone. I probably should've gone for stitches, but of course I didn't. On a positive note, I'm almost done with the 86's new paint job. On a negative note, I won't be able to finish it for a few days now, so pics have been delayed until I finish.

Beaterjeep wrote

On a positive note, I'm almost done with the 86's new paint job. On a negative note, I won't be able to finish it for a few days now, so pics have been delayed until I finish.

I hope that it is of the project vice the injury... but who know some of us would have done the stiches with the other hand :brows: who need doctors anyway :cheers: they are overrated. don't let it get infected dude or you will have to see one of those overrated doctors

oh here's a good one.

I didn't use to use eye protection.

during grinding and cutting...on the 3800 build.

wellll, I got a metal shaving in my eye. more specifically my iris. it pinned the iris so my pupil wouldn't dialate, and was rubbing like a mother on my eyelid...but I didn't know this at the time, just thought I had a piece on my eye, not in it.

went to work next day, they said I had to go take care of it...it was affecting my vision. so I did, and the doctor marvelled at how the heck I could drive 45 min. to work in a 15 passenger van with that sort of injury....

anyways, there was a rust deposit formed, so he had to take and numb my eye, and grind a part of my cornea out. I say grind lightly..it was more of a cut. luckily, while there is scar tissue, it wasn't in the field of vision of the pupil.

I wear eye protection all the time now, for all the little things too. I advise it.

other than that, I've had plenty of cuts, scrapes, bruises, and a few metal-to-bone experiences. the eye one was the only time I went to the doctor.

taking the u-bolts off I still had tension on the leaves. I should have let the axle down first to take the tension off but I didn't. When the nut broke loose the leaves sprung down on my hand. It hurt like a bad bj, except on my hand

Where should I start...

Working on my CJ I had.. got metal in the eye 7 pieces to be exact :eek: .. The screwed up thing was I was wearing safety glasses, and grinding on some bolts and rusty metal... I wiped my head with my gloves, and I guess from me sweating, the metal/fiberglass dust got in my eye... bad thing is I waited 2 days before seeking treatment :nuts:

Next working on casper, The tie rod fell from its gravity held position and split my skull. the bad thing was I was home alone ( wifey was teaching VBS) and I was bleeding profusely from the head :cry: Had to wait for har to come home to then have her drive me to the ER

I can't tell you how many cuts, and welding burns I have gotten that should have required medical treatment ,and I didnt go get :brows:

worst I've ever had was when I was taking out the front coils of my TJ to change the bump stops. I wanted it to go fast, so instead of taking off the trackbar for more droop I just started pulling on the springs to get them out. I got it over the perch but then it expanded and trapped both my hands against the rotor. So each hand was pinned by the ring and middle finger on the rotor.

thankfully I wasn't home alone and yelled for help. b*@$£ of it was that my roommate couldn't hear me over the tv. Had to wait for the adrenaline to set in then muscled up and compressed the spring with my hands and pulled them out. Fingers came out flat. It hurt stupid bad.

X 10,000 on the eye protection. I've been twice now (once was the ER and once to the family doc) to have my eye numbed and junk plucked out....not fun.

Was pulling a tranny by myself in the junkyard a couple years ago and I misjudged it a bit. I was holding the rear of it with my right hand underneath and the input shaft dropped out of the clutch housing, thank God it was a manual not an auto, and slammed to the ground with my hand underneath. Didn't hurt a bit for over a minute, and I had gloves on and thought I chopped my middle finger clean off. I was afraid to pull the glove off, then it finally started to hurt....bad.

Unbelievably, all I had was soft-tissue injury.

Then there was the time back when I was in the Army and was changing a starter out on a 2.5T. Welded the wrench clean to the framerail.....and just about $#!& my pants. No injuries but a shower of sparks worthy of any 4th of July celebration. There's a reason you disconnect the battery when pulling a starter.

Jeff

Sparks & batteries don't mix. Years ago after just recharging the battey :oops: I was splicing the headlight wires back together on my 41 Ford while leaning over the battery when a hot wire slipped out of my hand. Needless to say when it grounded the explosion, blasted off my chest & kicked my a-- half way across the garage. I was one lucky dude as the battery top came off in one piece and not sharpnel and directed most of the acid away from me. Running for a water hose with your eyes shut is a b----.

I hope that it is of the project vice the injury... but who know some of us would have done the stiches with the other hand :brows: who need doctors anyway :cheers: they are overrated. don't let it get infected dude or you will have to see one of those overrated doctors

Yes, it will be pics of it prior to the incident. All I did after it happened was close the storage unit's door, lock it up, and take off like a bat out of hell in the 88 for home. I'm already on a daily anti-biotic for my Cystic Fibrosis, and I trade off putting bacitracin ointment on it and exposing it to clean air. So far so good, no sign of infection, although where the skin was peeled back it is completely numb STILL. Yea, I agree, doctors are over-rated.

Looking back, my MJs have caused lots of mild scratches and of course headaches (caused by frustration or by banging my head when working underneath the 88), but no truly serious injuries. As accident prone as I am and for home much time I spend on them, I find it kinda odd. :hmm:

i have 2...unfortunantly happened the same day... :roll:

I was reinstalling my tranny for the second time and had the 1/2" drive wrench on the bellhousing bolts tightening them up and the wrench slipped and WHACK...right upside my head...after some colorful language :mad: i continued to work and about 15 min later i had the same 1/2" drive hanging from the control arm while i reached up for something and then BAM...it slipped and popped me right in the forehead...after the stars went away i continued to work and relized my sweat tasted kinda funny..got up and had blood coming down from the 2nd impact...after that i called it a day... :chillin:

i have one i can think of off hand..

i was swapping my d35 for the 8.8.. i had the 8.8 up on some crummy jack stands my friend had.. i was spinning the yoke of the 8.8 to see if the gears were clean before i slapped the cover on... as i spun the yoke the axle fell off one side of the jack stands right onto my hand... it didnt break but i don't go stickin my hand under axles anymore hahaha

well i did this today working on my new XJ:

the headliner was sagging so i decided to use my staple gun to pin it up 4 now...well i started with mine and it jammed so i borrowed my dads...well his is a reverse style one and i couldnt figure out why it wasnt putting the staple where i was holding it...well i was holding it and i ended up shooting myself in my left middle finger...i ran around yelling and bleeding until i went inside and ran my finger under water....lemme say its been about 2hrs since that happened and my finger is still throbbing horribly...but hey only one i can blame is myself.... :oops:

offroader, sounds like you would've been better off using some tacks instead of a staple gun. Don't worry, I've been there too, actually I ended up stapling my hand directly to the wall I was helping one of my cousins build in his old house. Unfortunately it happened while he was out getting lunch and I wasn't able to reach a screwdriver or hammer to get my hand un-stuck. That was about 3 years ago.

I wacked my hand pretty good on my current MJ project. Since I fried my weak little 4" Makita grinder I felt perfectly entitled to buy a new, bigger, more powerful Rigid model. I guess I was a little too used to the Makita's difficult little off / on switch and didn't notice that the Rigid's switch was the whole length of the body. Yup- As soon as I put the wrench on the spindle and went to push the locking button, I bumped the switch.

It took several weeks for the hand to come back 100%.

Well, guess what? I did it again. Yep, I split my thumb open yet again working on the 86. This time though I DID have to go in to get it looked at. Found a chunk of rust in there. So, pics of the 86's new paint are delayed even longer now. Maybe I should take all this as a lesson learned... don't work on the truck that bit ya so soon after it bites ya.