So what was this all about? Why the rush?

... not telling just yet. I've got an opportunity for something big is all.

Why so many reducers Ben?  No room above the cross member for the bigger pipe? 

I was using what I had kicking around the shop. Every single piece of material was recycled from one project or another! The two-into-one came off of a Scout 800 with a 4.2 and a crazy down pipe. Not sure if it had 3" tube all the way back? There was 2" from the manifolds into the collector, and then 2.5" the rest of the way... mostly.  :D

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why so many reducers Ben?  No room above the cross member for the bigger pipe?

I was using what I had kicking around the shop. Every single piece of material was recycled from one project or another! The two-into-one came off of a Scout 800 with a 4.2 and a crazy down pipe. Not sure if it had 3" tube all the way back? There was 2" from the manifolds into the collector, and then 2.5" the rest of the way... mostly.  :D

Now that's re-purposing.  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

And the saga continues.  :D

The truck will be getting a tight fitting exo cage eventually... not sure if it'll make the 16th deadline.  :crossfingers: For the seats and harnesses, I made up a quick interior bar.

... that was last week. As for yesterday and today...

... the truck found its way on to a forest of jack stands.

The truck then started spitting parts.  :clapping:

Long arm status.  :rock on:

Mad flex, yo. Everything needs to be welded yet, but that'll be during the week over my lunch hours. I suppose I'll have to take the Ape out of commission soon if I want to use those axles.  :( It'll be for the best though. I keep telling myself it's for the greater good. With the new front suspension, I also added a couple inches to the wheel base for a cool 119". It'll be a mad hill killer fo' sho'!

Are you going to put an X in the interior/seatbelt cage, or not worry about it since it's more or less only for the belts?  And are you going to do some frame tie-ins for where it's bolted to the floor, or again leave it be?

Long arms are looking good. :thumbsup:

Thanks, dude!

The interior hoop is the way it's going to stay. Thought about doing some additional bracing, but with the future exo I figured "why?". It's really just in there for the harnesses. I put the bolt plates in the rear directly over the frame rails and it bolts in with the pinch welds.

The long arms was a good one to (almost) cross off the list. Everything is just mocked up still, but all I need to do if finish weld and make up a couple crossmembers. One will be for the the transmission and the other is just to tie the frame rails together right in line with the new control arm mounts. Truth be told, I really wanted to do a three link but I ran out of room in just about every place I could without cutting up the floor.

I suppose we're down to only a few days left before my June 16th "dead line", so I might as well let the cat out of the bag...  :smart:

A few weeks back while in Moab, between the FaceBook and Instagram followers of the shop I work at we pretty much broke the internet with a Scout II that we had just finished. Not even a week after coming back, the editors from Peterson's 4 Wheel and Four Wheeler Magazine had gotten in contact with the Scout's owner wanting to do a photo shoot. That quickly turned into getting in contact with our shop wanting to know more about us which then turned into another potential photo shoot on the odd ball style rigs that we're getting known for. Then my boss asked the question, "can you get the Comanche done?" So... I'm trying... desperately!  :D Now... I won't have everything done on my to-do list, but it'll definitely be in wheeling condition.

As for the wheeling condition, the frame plating was completed and finished off with some faux-tina to try and blend it all in with the existing paint/undercoating/mud/donkey and horse $#!&.

... along with a high clearance transmission crossmember with some transfer case protection.

Then the poor old Ape got its axles pillaged. Everything got moved over.

So... here's the point where I put the truck in the shop because it was mobile again and it was stupid hot outside. The rear axle was pulled from the Cherokee, all of the brackets got cut off, and it then got dropped under the truck. Some spring perches happened, some lower shock mounts happened, brake lines where run, and all the while I was trying to make good time so I didn't take any pictures.  :doh: I will though! Throughout the rest of the week I'd like to get a bunch of little odds and ends to wrap up, make up some quick rock sliders, and then I guess we'll see what else I actually have time for.

Here's where we're currently at to keep everyone at bay.

Have a closer look at the crossmember. I put two Trail Gear tube joints in line so I can drop out enough of it to remove the trans.

I was gonna ask the same question..... sneaky sneaky!  Looked like you just goofed and slipped in 2 sections of tube.  I think I'd prefer to be able to remove more of it for better access but maybe you gots toothpick arms and carnie hands...... lol.

Nice work Ben, I dig the progress!

Well... no wheeling for me this weekend. Tore into the transfer case to find nothing wrong. From where the sound was coming from I was really thinking somethain't with the planetary... guess it's transmission related.

Bummer. Huge bummer.

Now after everyone in my shop has driven my truck, the issue has been thought to be actually coming from the rear end and transferring its way up the driveshaft. Apparently my old worn out rear end could use a rebuild. Good news? Maybe. Just something else on the list.  :shake:

• 2 weeks later...

Leave the bed alone, enjoy it and use it as a truck!

Just go all out and build a tube frame buggy to drag around on all of those rocks... tow it there with the truck and you can still can take the truck out on easier trails each trip when you break the buggy.

Naw... I hated dragging the Cherokee's @$$ all over the place! I can't imagine how this big ol' booty would fair on some of the trails I run.  :laughin:

never know until you try. :D   maybe some trimming up to the tailgate at the rear, but I would totally rock that (with some appropriate armor of course).  anyone can get a buggy up the hill.  takes a man to haul his bed with him  :yes:  

• 3 weeks later...

Gah!... pictures are down.  :fs2:

Sorry, Bo. I really don't need another MJ right now. I've been driving this truck daily and we haven't really bonded just yet. It has been used a number of times as a work truck so for that I'm grateful. Can't help but think of long term plans for it though. I really don't know what to think of it right now... having another isn't an answer right now.  :dunno: