wheels 89 manche

steering, suspension, and brakes are now complete. I'm going to keep the long hoses for now, maybe ill get shorter ones if these become a problem. i will get a solid mounting bracket for them at the frame end vs the temporary zip ties. xj brake booster installed, MC bled, rear brake lines made (pass side is ugly cause i literally had JUST enough tubing to make it) need to finish bleeding the rest of the brakes. i got new fine thread bolts for everything suspension/steering related, just need to finish swapping them out with the mock up hardware. i made the drag link a tad short and don't like how much of the rod end shafts are exposed so i got new inserts and a piece of 1.5x.25 dom to make a new one

other than that all i have left to do is the floor pan(s), seats, and rear driveshaft. pretty bummed i didnt get this done before new years, but ive been busy. new "deadline" is the 21st of this month. we are going camping in the desert for my girlsfriends bday and it would make for a great shakedown

here's some random pics 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got a little bit more done. picked up a set of mj buckets with brackets for $75! they are dirty but the brackets are rust free minus some surface rust. also got the main section of the floor pan welded in. hopefully get the rest of the floor/tunnel done after work this week

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
got another chance to take the manche out last weekend. before i left i built bumpstops. in the front I'm using the daystar extended bumps and 3 hockey pucks per side. the rear i got 4.5'' bumps and added a piece of 2x2x.25 square tube above them. didnt get finished pics but you get the idea. also did the h4 conversion with rampage housings and hella 80/100w bulbs, and a putco harness. I'm not at all impressed with the harness, and both hella bulbs burnt out in less than an hour...

wheelin pics

went to box canyon to meet a buddy but got there before him and decided to wheel around by myself for a while. found some awesome trails and did some great crawling. didnt get many cool pics cause i was having to much fun

and then this happened...

long story short, it was pouring rain and i couldnt see to well since my wipers don't work and apparently applying rainx in the RAIN doesnt work, i had no service and was heading back to an area where my hone would work so i could see where my buddy was, cam up to a small hill and i thought the road went over the hill, not to the left at the crest, tried everything i could to prevent it from rolling and it once i realized it was going over, i made sure it happened nice and easy. it was a very slow and controlled flop and the top passenger cab corner landed on a small pointed boulder which kept me from going all the way onto the roof. 

damage assessment: its not buffing out

discovered a new use for my hi lift

and like nothing ever happened lol the rear window broke when i tried to remove it, not from the roll

• 3 weeks later...
picked up a 99 intake. bead blasted it, will be gasket matching and cleaning up the injector humps. hoping for some more low end torque out of the stroker. also the exhaust header (apn i think or knock off?) is cracked/rusted through somewhere...

so since I'm pulling it all apart ill be building an entire 2.5" exhaust system. goal is to get all that done by mid next week so i can go wheel once more before i start the cage/slider/bumpers build

hold my beer, watch this

oh and this 100lb beauty showed up yesterday  :brows:

• 3 weeks later...
 i picked up a 63mm bored tb from Jeff Leigh and some stroker stickers! i was going to hold off on installing it till i was ready to swap intakes, but i had to send my old one back as a core so i put it on last night. i wouldnt say the seat-of-the-pants-dyno felt much but man did it help free up the top end. the motor used to fall on its face around 4k ish (not sure cause my tach doesnt work) but now it revs to the moon! haha can't wait to swap manifolds and see more improvement

no installed pics cause it looks stock, but here's some comparison shots

old (stock) tb

dat new new

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

been a while, havent done any wheeling lately, so i ripped out the interior and sawzall!

JIGvki8.jpg

ZPaVKkf.jpg

k7pekRG.jpg

drMQ3ET.jpg

8y3iDkC.jpg

evLhTvg.jpg

took 16 inches out of the "frame" and cut the end of the bed off. I'm for sure bobbing it but may also dovetail, we'll see. last night i got the new rear crossmember and shackle  hangers tacked and partially welded but didnt get pics, will tonight though

• 2 weeks later...

the rear cross member is 4x4x0.25 wall square tube that i notched to fit the end of the frame from both the rear and the bottom so its plenty rigid. i then added ruffstuff shackle hangers and have been playing around with shackles. i started with 6" and i didnt like how tall the jeep was (one of the reasons I'm doing this is to lower it 2ish inches) then i made some 5"and 4" shackles out of 0.375 plate. the 5's were still a little tall but travel was perfect. the 4's sit just right but don't allow the travel i want. so i pulled the overload out of the spring pack and then tried each set again. i left the 4's in for now but think i may make some 4.5" ones and try those, we'll see. i still need to cut some pieces to fill gaps and finish welding but here's some pics. i ran into porosity issues (bad prep0 and ground some of these out and rewelded

hJWaRPh.jpg

BnWNSed.jpg

WeGF4rn.jpg

ypPgzpo.jpg

B7kZvsh.jpg

vo2S9Bu.jpg

PFwjQhk.jpg

AuXl1Lf.jpg

s34SCVU.jpg

zb2oQh3.jpg

S6bZDBo.jpg

rolled the jeep outside, this is with the 4" shackles and no overload. I'm also thinking about hitting the junk yard to find some long flat springs to make a bastard pack

viqFDEZ.jpg

z0lLNpP.jpg

0A8MvTk.jpg

12DOS3F.jpg

egTgo5j.jpg

8sipe8l.jpg

KbKkM3a.jpg