wheels 89 manche

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man!

So I think I'm going to mount the ram like this only on the side of the track bar mount (more left than in the pics). I'll add bracing to it and tie it into the upper link mount as well. It's the only place I can think of that won't get in the way of the track bar or the diff cover. It won't offer protection from the rocks though, what do yall think? The only way I see to keep it above the tie rod is mounting to the diff cover...

Also replaced the shift tower seal and busing and inner shift boots since I had the parts laying around. Didn't get pics of all the parts or install but it's done

I wound up building a skid/guard for my ram, I think I mentioned that before.  Yours is high enough it might not really need one, even in that location.  Make sure you can route the hoses properly too, it wound up being a headache on mine but it worked in the end.  If all else fails, yeah, just put it on the diff cover, not the best solution but it's only one problem instead of a bunch of problems...

Your Fab work is crazy sick. Ive got a friend of mine whos a tool n die programmer. his work is always down to the thousandth of an inch. Back to your work (AMAZING) TWO THUMBS UP

Thank you! It's been one hell of a learning process haha

I wound up building a skid/guard for my ram, I think I mentioned that before. Yours is high enough it might not really need one, even in that location. Make sure you can route the hoses properly too, it wound up being a headache on mine but it worked in the end. If all else fails, yeah, just put it on the diff cover, not the best solution but it's only one problem instead of a bunch of problems...

I think I'll put it here and see how it works out. If it gets bashed up, I'll build a guard. Did you have high steer arms on yours?

I wound up building a skid/guard for my ram, I think I mentioned that before. Yours is high enough it might not really need one, even in that location. Make sure you can route the hoses properly too, it wound up being a headache on mine but it worked in the end. If all else fails, yeah, just put it on the diff cover, not the best solution but it's only one problem instead of a bunch of problems...

I think I'll put it here and see how it works out. If it gets bashed up, I'll build a guard. Did you have high steer arms on yours?

No high steer.  Just flipped to the top of the factory arms.  But the whole thing is built super low, maybe 3" of lift with 37s.

Kinda the only picture I have showing it assembled, and it's a terrible picture.

Image Not Found

It's a clamp on, yup... As to how it's held up, well, excellent so far, but I've only driven it on the street and gravel roads.  I rolled my DD pickup, winter hit, and I didn't have this thing quite done so it got shoved beside the shop while I fixed my MJ up to drive instead of the rolled truck.

Lots of guys run them though.  Personally I'm still a little skeptical of it, but everything was so tight that I couldn't commit to a mounting location and it seemed like the best way for the time being.  If it slips I can just weld it on.

That said, the other downside of running the ram that way and connecting it to the midpoint of the tie rod is that it makes it more likely to bend the tierod.  I don't think I'll have a problem, but it could well be an issue.

I think I went back and forth on this.  It appeared to not really matter at the end of the day.   In my XJ I hooked the front chamber to the front of the prop/distribution valve, which would be for the rear brakes.

I don't recall having to file anything to get my van MC to fit, but who knows, I did buy a previously enjoyed booster to bolt it to, so it's hard to say what is what.  I have often stated that there is not one single part on that rig that actually bolted on without modification, and I suspect it was the same in this case.

did a quick search on the gargler and the rear port is for the front disk brakes as its attached to the larger section of the reservoir. just an fyi, i guess that would make sense.

I don't recall having to file anything to get my van MC to fit, but who knows, I did buy a previously enjoyed booster to bolt it to, so it's hard to say what is what.  I have often stated that there is not one single part on that rig that actually bolted on without modification, and I suspect it was the same in this case.

ditto! my booster came from a 98 grand cherokee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

its a tight fit but is in there. wish i had access to a press brake, would have turned out a lot cleaner.

not sure on the boosters. I'm going to put the zj one in my xj as well as get rid of the abs. should help the 8.8 discs stop better.

another thing i found is the mounting studs are wider on the zj booster, hence why i had to modify the mc ears to fit. i think the dodge mc would have fit the xj booster without modification