wheels 89 manche

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a good project truck.  I am confused as to why he pulled the tank that sits in front of the rear axle if he was going to bob the bed/frame that sits behind it.  I guess a safety thing?  I know I would like to take a foot off the back of my long bed if I ever decide to do any serious wheeling. 

• 3 weeks later...

no pictures but finally got a chance to work on this a bit. changed the oil, pulled the fuel pump to drain all the old gas from the tank, installed a new strainer, lock ring and oring, and fuel filter. got the tank and bed bolted back in after i discovered the PO had patched over all the mounting holes... I'm thinking he wasnt just going to bob the bed, but remove it entirely. anyway, went to hook up the electrical side of things at the fuel pump but the plug that goes through the top of the sending unit doesnt have any tabs on it to lock it into place/seal it.... so the trucks on hold again till i can source another sending unit or fix the current one.. ill try to get a pic in case anyone has any ideas 

started making progress. got the fuel pump situation figured out. won't be able to reinstall it till tomorrow but here's my fix

I'm not sure how this connector was held onto the sending unit from the factory, but i carefully ran an 1/8in pipe die down the part that comes through the top of the assembly, cut a nylon nut in half and tapped it for 1/8in pipe, spun the nut down tight as i could without it breaking, then epoxied the inner part to keep it from rotating or leaking. also replaced the o ring on the outer portion and re soldered the ground wire to the outside/top but didnt get a pic of that. I'm not the best solder'er anyway lol

pretty decent update, IT RUNS! a little rough but its a start! 

turns out the PO had removed the fp ballast resistor, but for some reason didnt splice the wires together.. maybe he didnt know to do so? anyways after turning the key on and off a few times to prime the system, i heard fuel spraying in the engine compartment. the fpr was leaking like a siv! popped in a new one and it fired right up! currently don't have a serpentine belt due to the ac compressor missing, but hopefully tomorrow ill get compressor off the xj swapped in and take it for a spin

got the xj compressor swapped in, threw the belt on er and went a round the block a few times today. runs rough. real rough. but i planned on a tune up anyway and refreshing grounds. still need to bleed the brakes and get an intake of some sort and a muffler

should be getting that done tomorrow along with swapping in the d30 and RE lift from the xj. soon ill swap the rest of the ac system parts over. not needed this time of year but the az summer always comes quicker than expected. also thinking of swapping steering columns as the one in the mj isnt tilt and doesnt require a key to start it... here's a couple pics

ac compressor, and bracket with idler and fan hub removed from xj

installed and running on the mj :)

• 2 weeks later...

finally got some more work done. installed the d30 and RE 3.5 in front lift, RE track bar and RE stabilizer from the xj, along with the wheels and tires. swapped steering columns and fixed some other small issues (rear brakes, wiring, more wiring) still more electrical demons to sort out

didnt get very many pics as i did all the work myself and tried to get it done as quickly as i could. but ill leave these here:

before

d30 out 

after

i only drove it a few miles so far. the seats are extremely low feel like a 4 foot granny trying to see over the steering wheel in her town car... definitely needs to be addressed.. also needs an alignment and a muffler still..

thanks man!

gave it a good spray down with the hose lol then replaced the broken driver headlight and got all the electrical gremlins figured out! (fingers crossed) turns out the clutch master cylinder had melted over the fuse box and shorted all sorts of things out. cleaned it up and now i have park lights, blinkers, stop lights, dash lights, and should have a dome light but the PO cut the harness out...

oh and i installed the courtesy lights and center counsel from the xj, and the small windoiw in the driver door. ill get more pics tomorrow as its been raining and is now to dark

started making progress. got the fuel pump situation figured out. won't be able to reinstall it till tomorrow but here's my fix

I'm not sure how this connector was held onto the sending unit from the factory, but i carefully ran an 1/8in pipe die down the part that comes through the top of the assembly, cut a nylon nut in half and tapped it for 1/8in pipe, spun the nut down tight as i could without it breaking, then epoxied the inner part to keep it from rotating or leaking. also replaced the o ring on the outer portion and re soldered the ground wire to the outside/top but didnt get a pic of that. I'm not the best solder'er anyway lol

For future reference this thread will help you if the epoxy doesn't last long

http://comancheclub.com/topic/38976-gas-tank-leak/?do=findComment&comment=393159

^^^thanks for that! i found some at work and threw them in the glove box just in case

havent done much but drive er lately. put the stereo from my xj in and the "vent" window. hopefully yanking the rest of the drive train out of the xj this coming weekend so i can rebuild the HO and aw4 to keep it as a spare drive train for the mj. still need to find a 4wd ax15 so i can use the 242 out of the xj

poser mallcrawler pic

before "vent" window #becauseroadkill

dash lights and stereo 

crappy interior shot. ive been sitting on the folded up air mattress till i find time to work on the seating situation

thats all for now

• 2 weeks later...

had some free time at work tonight so i took advantage and worked in the truck. installed some ford 943 injectors (thanks dirtyjeepguy!) also, i had previously swapped the accel plugs and wires from the xj which had a msd coil and the plugs set at 65 thou. i never regaped them till now and seems to run a bit smoother but i only put about 2 miles on it since

(ignore the stubby intake, it is temporary)

something odd i noticed, there were 3 different types of injectors in the truck already?!?! lol

oh not sure how, but i forgot to add that the brake booster on the truck was actually for a 94 era xj with abs... the MC quit on me the other day as i went to stop in front of the house. the following day i went to the scrap yard and picked up a ACTUAL 99 grand cherokee double diaphram booster and master for $60! installed it wow what a difference! only complaint is when the engine is off the pedal is good and firm but with the engine running, the pedal is squishy and travels alot farther than with it off. i will investigate further 

• 2 weeks later...

thought id throw up a couple more pics and small update. havent done much but work on cruisers tips (all done but the cps stuff) tested my cps and its bad, only 2V ac. gonna grab one this weekend.

first up is the brake booster/master cylinder. nothing special nor is it pretty. plans are to either grab an xj prop valve or an adjustable one.

pressure washed the mj at work. still need to grab a new driver corner lense

started working on my 8.8 the PO gave me with the truck. stripped it down some, pulled the cover only to find its a non LSD  :fs2: oh well looks like ill be throwing a locker in! it does have 4.10s so ill be regearing the front when the time comes. also found a set of calipers for $30 I'm picking up this weekend

future plans:

xj or manual prop valve

wj knuckles and brakes

1 ton steering

8.8 soa swap

long arms (unsure on which brand/style still)

new lift coils up front to match what i gain from the soa

new shocks, mist likely bilsteins (currently have rubicons that came with the xj lift)

33s or MAYBE 35s??

source a 4wd ax15

np242 from my xj for now cause i already have it but plan on a flipped dana 300 later on

and after i pull the motor out of the xj i plan to SLOWLY but sure build a stroker

thanks guys!

good point on the zj valve. i think thats what i meant to type, but who knows. it was a graveyard shift lol

the load sensing valve was removed by the previous owner.

ended up spending the weekend working on my brothers retatrded low rx7, so the mj didnt get any attention yet other than my daughter hangin out in the bed while we built a new exhaust for my bros car

reallllly need to clean up the crappy paint on the tailgate from the previous owner

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

stroker is in thanks to some help from my best bud, the girlfriend, and my neighbor  :thumbsup:

also got the interior harness swapped. not sure what I'm going to do about the column yet since the 96 mounts totally different

this moment brought to you by America!