wheels 89 manche

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

worked on front axle some tonight. welded up the tie rod, tacked up the passenger side mount, 3 link mount, and track bar mount then realized my track bar mount is to far forward and contacted the tie rod at almost full lock so rolled it back to clear but forgot to snap a pic.. I'm going to box the 3 link mount to the truss and add bracing to the track bar mount as well

sorry for the crappy quality my phones on its last leg

got a lil more done yesterday, even though it was 119*!!!

since the driver side tube is so short, decided I'm going to cut off some of the casing so ill have room for my bracket. didnt finish cutting it yet but you get the idea

repositioned track bar mount

went to install the tcase and the floor patch the PO put in was in the way.i was really hoping to address the floor AFTER i had it up and running but now plans have changed

ratchet strap parking brake

And make sure you weld that tube to the center section where you cut it.  A lot of the support for the tube is generated by that 'cuff' area that the tube going into, since it's only the press fit and plug welds keeping it in.

Try not to mangle that tube anymore either.  If you score it badly and weld the scores up, it tend to warp the tube.  Not a huge deal, but not super desirable either.

On my setup I elected to weld the bracket to the cuff area and brace it.  But I'm not using the same brackets, and there is a lot of other things that are different about the build in general.

the angle of the pic is a lil deceiving but it does clear and the top bolt hole is actually just above the tie rod. ill get a better picture of it. i don't have 9/16 bolts yet but i mocked it up with a 1/2" bolt and a nylock nut and theres plenty of room.

as for the drivers side, once i get my mounts welded on I'm going to have my buddy weld the tube to the center section with nickel rod. i don't trust myself welding to cast just yet. i tried not to cut the tube up to bad but the old mounts didnt allow the best access to remove them lol

no pics cause my phone is completely broken... but i got the fuel system figured out. simple solution really, gonna run the xj tank in the bed! well I'm pulling the bed off to do some repairs, but I'm planning out a way to mount the xj tank behind the cab and eventually when i put the bed back on it will reside in there.

also got the rear dana 60 pulled from the xj, cut off the leaf and shock miunts, mj axles are ready to come out, still waiting on a new bracket from ballistic so i can finish tacking up the front axle then roll it under the mj and measure for links, patch up the floor/tunnel, finish up interior wiring... hoping it will start coming together quickly now

• 3 weeks later...

went on vacation for the 4th, blew the tranny up in our durango, and we're moving this month so progress will likely be slow...

but here's how it sits now

looks like a tractor lol

gonna just sandwich the rear mounts on for now so i can roll it onto a trailer to move it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

wanted to get an idea of how itll eventually look before i roll it into the garage

classy instagram pic

LOTS of trimming to do lol

unfortunately, the motor in my daily (96 xj) clapped out on me last week when scouting for deer last week... so I'm temporarily robbing the motor from the mj till i get my other one rebuilt

• 1 month later...

not much of an update, again (sorry to disappoint) but now that ive got more free time and my daily is back on the road, the ol mache should be getting more attention. 

got back to work on my kingpin dana 60. i had a swamp cooler running in my garage all summer and didnt oil everything or cover it very well, hence the surface rust. but everything is tacked on now to get it under the jeep and measure for links. I'm thinkin the upper link mount is definitely going to be moved more passenger

playing around with the camera on my phone 

Picked up some square tube. Got more than I need cause I'm going to redesign my welding table as well

Also I think I'm goin to use these spacers on the spring pads as they will alow the spring to sit "flat" without have to grind the spring or modify anything else. Gonna weld tabs or a ring on the Mount to keep them centered. These along with rubicom express 5.5" coils and the larger axle tube ill be around 6.5-7" of lift. Ignore the short drag link, i was just playing around

Got to work on the floor pan a bit too

That diamond plate was riveted to the angle iron that's just tacked in there... then silicon was used to try and seal it all up. Messy job

• 3 weeks later...

not much to report, but progress is progress right?

header panel off for the eleventymillionth time along with the front bumper. flares removed for good. i traced the outer edge before removing them. this will be the preliminary cut, then ill trim accordingly

passenger floorboard. there was a piece of diamond plate riveted here, and after removing it i found these gobs of caulking.... hope they arent hiding rust! rest of the floor looks good though minus the holes from the old seat that was welded to the floor

thankfully all that caulking wasnt hiding any rust on the pass floorboard, but I'm still going to cut out a pocket for the 3rd link to fit in, then box around it

"to-do" list is getting shorter! HOPING to get this done before new years! the gf is dropping hints, but i got her with the spellcheck!

not jeep related, but built a new exhaust for my brothers rx7 drift car. tail pipes stick a good foot and a half out form the rear of the car

just ordered parts for hydro assist from surplus center:

ram: 1.5X8X1 DA HYD CYL SWIVEL EYES

hoses (x3, one spare): 3/8" X 48" JIC 6F X JIC 6F 4800 PSI HYD HOSE

fittings for box (x2): JIC 6M x 1/4 NPTM 45 ELBOW

fittings for ram (x2): JIC 6M x SAE 6M SWIVEL 90 ELBOW

going to make my own mounting tabs, might get a ruffstuff cover and mount the ram to it...

also ordering a full set of t&m frame stiffeners, and steering box stiffeners on their black friday sale

http://www.t-mfab.com/store-3/?model_number=3896750

http://www.t-mfab.com/store-3/?model_number=4761900

slowly chipping away, got all the links tacked up including the drag link, just not pictured. gonna install this tomorrow after i drill and tap the steering box, and drill out the pitman arm for a 3/4 bolt. then i should be able to get it rolled into the garage and start prepping for stiffeners and finish the floor...

portaband made quick work of the 2x2x025 square tube

links, and my dog. lowers are 37" at thier shortest, upper is 40" at its shortest

links on xmemeber

This is gonna be one nice truck. I was curious though as you mentioned locating the xj tank behind the cab and leaving it there when the bed goes back on. I tried everything I could think of to mount an xj tank under mine and with the exception of the spare tire location it seemed impossible so I opted for a Dakota tank. How do you plan on making this work?

One thing about mounting the ram to the diff cover is it tends to make the cover leak...  Not sure how much you care, but I built a bracket by the inner C on the long side when I did my XJ, to avoid mounting it to the cover.

yeah ive read about that. once the ram gets here ill play around with it and see where it fits best. i was just thinking since I'm planning on buying the cover, if the ram won't fit nicely anywhere else, at least it would be a stout mounting point

This is gonna be one nice truck. I was curious though as you mentioned locating the xj tank behind the cab and leaving it there when the bed goes back on. I tried everything I could think of to mount an xj tank under mine and with the exception of the spare tire location it seemed impossible so I opted for a Dakota tank. How do you plan on making this work?

ive got a couple ideas. option one place some rubber sheet or really heavy foam padding under the tank, while it resides on the bed floor, and invert the xj straps so they hold it down against the bed. id have to cut some notches and drill a couple holes for the straps but it would be simple. or option two would be build a raised "box" in the bed for the outter edge of the tank to rest on, kinda how th xj guys do it when they relocate the tank. like a fuel cell only without forking out the money for one lol

bed space isnt going to be much of a concern being i have a long bed and I'm hoping to keep it a full bodied rig as long as possible, till it gets bashed up enough to constitute a tube bed or something of the like. I'm not a big fan of tube beds or exo cages but would like to design a sort of hybrid eventually

Had 8 or 10 beers and decided to pull the axle back out to weld it for good along with the links. it's done minus the spring plates

On the drivers side, I weld the inner part of the bracket to preheat the cast side, then welded the cast and wrapped it with a kevlar apron, and my carhartt jumpsuit then let it sit all night. I think it turned out good