Project "CODE RED " 88 Olympic edition

Well this is my first build thread so I'm sorry if it's not like all the other well written ones on here .

Anyhow,I've always been keeping an eye out for a good solid rust free truck that I could use for a DD and not worry about it getting scratched or dented if I decided to take it on some light off-roading . I've accumulated parts over the years but just never found a good solid base to build off of until now .

About a month or so ago a fellow cc member (yellaheep) posted this truck for sale . It's an 88 SWB Olympic edition 4x4 with 191k on it . It has all 3 factory skids and is rust free . It has the BA10 trans with 3.07 gears which eventually will be changed to a nv3550 and a better gear ratio .

Yellaheep was kind enough to help it get loaded on the car carrier to get shipped up to me in Ohio . For some reason the two engine pics that I have when I first got the truck will not load on photobucket . Everything plastic rubber etc was melted beyond recognition .

The paint was gone off of the metal on the front part of the firewall ..

The floor boards on this truck are perfect ..

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the first thing I wanted to tackle was fixing the firewall , both inside and out . I removed the whole interior ,Heater box , everything on the firewall and the inner fenders and also the engine , trans and transfer case .

I had a little more sanding to do but this is the last pic I took before I primed / painted the engine compartment .

And here it is painted ..

I used PPG single stage paint and primer because it holds up well and lays down nice with no buffing .

Thanks Minuit.

Next I sanded,primed and painted the firewall ...

The carpet was dirty and needed to be cleaned , and the jute padding was removed .i think it came out good and it smells good too .

Then it was time to start bolting everything back into the engine compartment . I used nothing that was in the fire , not that any of it was good anyhow lol.

The wiring harness and ECU came out of a 90 XJ so there is no C101 connector . The rest of the parts were from either the dealership that I was able to clean out or from past projects that were scrapped .

So then it was back to the interior . The truck originally had a bench seat but was badly damaged , it wasn't included with the truck but the brackets were . I originally picked these seats out of a 92 2 door xj for my black 88 pioneer but they've been sitting around for a couple years and figured that they could be put to good use on this truck .

The dash , gauge cluster , harness and all had some damage from the fire .

I had an extra dash with harness , radio , cluster and HVAC out of my 2.5 std 89 Mj that was converted to a 95 xj 4.0 .The ignition switch and turn signal switch were replaced from a spare column I had . The front emergency brake cable was broken so that was replaced .

Here is where I'm at with the interior right now .

So now that enough of the interior was in to get it running when the time comes I started working on the engine . I started out by trying to turn the engine over while it was still in the truck with a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a 3/4 socket but it wouldn't budge . I then pulled the spark plugs out and poured marvel mystery oil down all the cylinders and let it soak in the next couple days... Still wouldn't budge . It was only 11 more bolts to pull the head so that's what I did .

The cylinder walls were rusted pretty bad and I didn't plan on having to replace the engine . Luckily I had this , but it was intended for another project ..

It's a brand new 4.7 stroker that was going to go in my 99 XJ but it still runs good so that's a plus . So it was time to put all the correct Era pieces parts on the engine .

And then the nv3550 trans with 89k on it . New clutch kit , trans mount etc .

This is just too awesome!

Two of my orphan trucks have been bought by guys going the extra mile on them to make them amazing.  This one in Ohio, the other in Iowa.

Stroker, you're gonna end up with one killer MJ.  So Jealous.  

My former '90 Eliminator getting restored by the Iowa guy. This will be his "shop" truck.  He's into restoring Mustang police cars........ he has 13 of 'em.

This is just too awesome!

Two of my orphan trucks have been bought by guys going the extra mile on them to make them amazing. This one in Ohio, the other in Iowa.

Stroker, you're gonna end up with one killer MJ. So Jealous.

My former '89 Eliminator getting restored by the Iowa guy. This will be his "shop" truck. He's into restoring Mustang police cars........ he has 13 of 'em.

Thanks for all the help Yellaheep , would have never been able to get the truck if you didn't go the extra mile by helping the shippers .

That is awesome work, wow! Very impressive, keep the pics coming!

Buck.

Thanks Buck , I know how everyone loves pictures lol. That's one of the reasons I've never made a build thread until I learned how to post pictures . I'm trying to remember to take pictures too , it's hard when I'm in the midst of working on it .

Is that one of the fancy dual sparkplug engines? LOL @ two distributors:

Lol , no . The one on the left is to prime the oil , the distributor drive gear is removed . The cap with the hole in it is for indexing the distributor and the dizzy on the right is the one actually for the truck .

So what all on this thing is brand new, that harness looks immaculate.

The harness is used off of a 90 Xj . Before I put it on the truck I cleaned every single connection with a small brass brush so everything was nice and shiny including all the grounding areas . It makes it so much easier to do out of the vehicle and I'm not good with diagnosing electrical issues so hopefully this helps . Thanks for the compliment .

As far as new parts go iirc motor mounts , washer reservoir and pump ,valve cover , water pump , starter , wires , radiator hoses , plugs , water temp sender and sensor , oil pan ,melling oil pump , k+n air filter , mopar oil filter , both vacuum harnesses , clutch slave and master assembly , wiper motor , oil sender , fan switch , serpentine belt , power steering hoses , speedo cable and some heater hoses , maybe more but that's off the top of my head .

Got a little time to work on the truck today . Finally found an ax15 crossmember, mount and exhaust hanger bracket , the crossmember was a little rusty but solid . Ended up getting it painted along with the t case skid .

Then I put the radiator , hoses , a/c compressor and hoses , plugs , and wires on . Somehow I misplaced the power steering reservoir and I still need new injectors, a knock sensor , new fuel hoses and new battery cables before I can try and start it . Ended up also test fitting some body panels too .

Half of the battery cables are missing so I'm not sure what length they originally were , so I guess I'm going to run them the way I want . I picked up some 2 gauge battery cable , copper lugs , marine heat shrink and battery ends , going to put them on tomorow and see what happens .

Not really much of an update but the battery cables and the heater hoses are done, so I finally have power to the truck . Going through all the power functions I found that when turning on the left turn signal the flasher starts out at normal speed , slows down an pops the signal fuse so I guess I have one more thing that I have to fix and I hate electrical troubleshooting .

I've got a friend that works at a local glass company and I asked him a couple weeks ago if he had a windshield for a Comanche , so I got a call this morning saying he had one that was never installed because the windshield was slightly distorted . I didn't care as long as the distortion wasn't in the line of sight and it wasn't . I only had to pay for the urethane and his time and he put it in today .

Here it is installed

Ended up giving the truck a quick buff job , it is hard to make the upper half shine with no clear lol. The wheels the truck came with are pretty faded and the tires are dryrotted too so I had a couple extra sets of wheels but am undecided as to which ones to use . Which wheels do you guys think look better ?