Project "CODE RED " 88 Olympic edition

88Whitemanche:

Just a Dana 35

Minuit : No problem , let me know how that one works out .

Don : I had to get while the gettin was good , this has been a year search for a good front axle . I'll probably switch to the new axle shafts with the larger ujoints along with new seals , fluid , bushings ,ball joints , links , WJ lca , OME steering stabilizer and hub bearings / brakes .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I pulled the diff cover at the JY , looks clean and in good shape to me....

Stripped the axle down and wire wheeled everything , the axle was suprisingly clean because it got saved by the 2.8 leaking oil all over the axle housing . All the bolts came out by hand once they were broken free , someone installed new ujoints / ball joints not too long ago so I think I'll just run them for now . I did put new bushings in the upper axle housing , new pinion seal , OME steering stabilizer , sway bar links , calipers and brake hoses . I guess it's time for a new camera / phone too , sorry about the picture quality ...

Next on the list is getting the WJ LCAs fitted to the axle housing , anyone know the measurements of what I need to cut the steel sleeves down to ? Also does the LCA bolt on the same way as it would on the WJ ? The thread I found has no pictures anymore and the poster is M.I.A.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Picked up a pair of leather seats out of a 4dr 90 xj limited . The drivers side has a small cigarette burn and the rest of the seats are in good shape for being 27 years old

The seats are power , but would be too tall and I would hit my head . In addition they would not tilt forward , so I decided to use a spare pair of 86 Mj specific bucket seats with the bolsters for donors . I swapped the 90 cover on the 86 frame of the drivers side seat , still have the passenger side to do ...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Small update :

Had all of my side windows tinted , installed the power guts in the doors and put the new panels on ....

Today I pulled the rest of the grey interior and partially installed the black dash , steering column , NOS parking brake and cross body harness .

• 1 month later...

A little update :

Installed all new parking brake cables and gave the whole suspension a good shakedown before it goes to get an alignment in the next couple weeks . Also went and replaced both front turn signal sockets and all the lights are now working besides the reverse lights which I still am trying to locate the problem .

Also installed Nicks R.E.M. Unit in the center console ....

• 3 weeks later...

So I took the truck on its maiden voyage yesterday , drove it around town for several hours with no issues (yet lol) . I have to get the 37 tooth speedometer gear for it so I don't have to use my GPS .

Also been working on getting it all cleaned up for Bantam next week . It's not finished by any means , but it's to a point where I can enjoy it a little .

So I took the truck on its maiden voyage yesterday , drove it around town for several hours with no issues (yet lol) .

That's great! And the truck is looking really good. What's next for it?
Thanks . Not really sure exactly what I'm going to do right now , I have a whole bunch of ideas and only want to build it once .

Things I know I want to do :

Lizard skin the floor

Paint some areas ( if not the whole truck ) because the paint is worn off in areas and I don't want it to rust

Get the A/C working

Install the FM modulator so I can use my iPod etc

Install a good exhaust / header

That's all I can think of at the moment ...

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've already put a 1000 miles on her with minimal issues

It runs great , plenty of power , handles great , rides good ( maybe a hair stiff ) stops on a dime , no rattles now ( there was one ) .

There is a small oil leak that drops a few drops of oil on the exhaust, and for the first couple minutes it causes a little smoke while it burns off .

While driving back from Butler Pa ( about an hour away ) I hit some railroad tracks doing about 25mph and heard some rattling then metal sliding against the asphalt. I stopped and looked to see what it was and found out it was the coil spring retainer that attaches to the axle housing with a 13mm bolt .

I'm really surprised that is all that has happened as of yet , especially being that basically the whole truck had been taken apart . I think I'm going to leave it alone because I don't want to press my luck lol.

Did the coil retainer just come loose, or did it strip out?

Seems there's always something after you do a full teardown. I agree that if it's the only thing that you're doing really good. :rock on:

I think it stripped out . I'll just go to the next bolt size and drill the hole in the retainer bigger , I already have extra brackets ...

• 1 year later...

Long overdue update

Ive put about 7k miles on total , it normally sits during the winter because I don't want it to rust away . Other than changing oil and normal maintenance I haven't had to do anything to it besides change the rotted muffler today . 

I plan on using the old carpet in my 87 and buying new carpet for this truck . The floors still look great ...

Just waiting for the carpet so I can get it in as I'll be driving to Michigan on the first of march to get parts the seller won't ship . 

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG